on 31 March 2017
Okay, let's get serious for a moment. This show, start to finish is simply superb, we are blessed with ONE WRITER, Michael Hirst, and he does a fantastic job to ensure the story is consistent in every episode. These days we have issues with the likes of The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones where we'll be offered one or two decent episodes, some episodes full of side story which we don't care about and the most annoying thing ever.....filler episodes that do nothing to move the story forward.

The Vikings, they are not a race of people, Viking was a profession, and that profession was one of brutal raids upon other lands where they killed without hesitating, these are the bad guys that you hate to love.

The lead character played by Travis Fimmel is Ragnar Lothbrok, a farmer with a family and Viking raider when required, the story follows his ascent to legendary status through a need to rid the land of greedy earls, to his need to learn and understand other cultures, his friendship with christians that was seen as unacceptable in the Scandinavian culture and his desire to simply settle down to being a farmer once more.

The acting is honest, the dialogue pulls you in, it has drama, beautifully subtle comedic moments and it has the violence we would expect from such a show.

Unlike the Game of Thrones, this show doesn't feel the need to fill every episode with ridiculous sex scenes and constant over the top swearing, it doesn't have heavily convoluted storylines and this benefits the storytelling greatly.

Give it a go and stick with it, you won't be disappointed!
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 January 2017
As many people have pointed out there are many historical inaccuracies, bu then it wasn't written as an accurate account of history. The two things i found a little bit ridiculous are: 1) how many people are slaughtered in viking against viking attacks compared to the number of births.. numbers don't really add up. and 2) If the vikings had sailed directly west from Norway they would have completely missed the british isles apart from The Shetlands, which wasn't actually part of britain at the time anyway. The vikings are known to have followed the coast so they didn't get completely lost and then turn west when they were looking for something to 'smash and grab'. Otherwise the show is good, but bloody, entertainment.
on 24 April 2017
Good things about all seasons:
- Excellent individual performances throughout.
- Interesting story lines and unexpected twists, making it addictive at times, especially seasons 1 and 2.
- As someone interested in history, and not too annoyed by minor historical inaccuracies, the viking culture, and indeed Anglo-Saxon historical context, was very intriguing. I thought the attention to details about viking way of life for all made this unique. It was not just about fighting, it was about values and beliefs.

Bad things about all seasons:
- seasons 401 and 402 lose the plot for me, especially the trivial domestic affairs which I thought added nothing to the broader story.
- I was annoyed at the perceived superiority of vikings in pitch battle with the French and English, especially the Saxons. Surely Saxons had their own fighting warriors? It just made every battle predictable and stupid.
- I first liked the spiritual that people were going through from season 3, but at times it seemed like it was an unnecessary distraction and that it had the series became more about aesthetics rather than plot.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 2 July 2017
The performances and the twists and turns in the storyline make this series excellent. Every actor and actress is superb. Once Ragnar gets to Paris however, I thought the plot started to slacken, to lose momentum and from then on it loses a star or two for me, up to that point it is 5 star despite the blood and gore. I do dislike historical inaccuracy, and this is splattered with some. Gripping, to be honest I watched several episodes a day. Outstanding performances by Ragnar and Lagertha but throughout really.
on 13 September 2017
For those who like historical adventure with plenty of battlefield gore, this is the series. Lot's of unfamiliar actors are used which add a freshness and interest to the action. A lot of care has been used to replicate Viking life as it was so many centuries ago. This also incorporates the primitive technologies of the time and in particular methods of navigation at a age when those in a ship feared losing sight of land. Interesting and entertaining.
on 10 June 2017
This programme is not to be missed or under estimated, I have not seen anything this good before, the raid scences, fighting scences are intense, out of the world and what can I say about the acting, but you will have to watch it to know how insane good it is. It's hard to keep remembering how bad Vikings where, but although the programme gives us no illusions that they are, it also opens your mind to what things may have been from there side. But apart from weather it is historicaly correct is irrelevant in this programme, I mean we still only know a s my all amount of information, but this is just an all-round amazing watch that should be enjoyed for the work and storyline. But most of all for acting of the cast is like nothing I have enjoyed before.
on 9 April 2014
I really enjoyed this and even though you are watching from the side of the vikings, you do realise what bloody and vicioius people they were... The series is quite graphic and it certainly does deserve its rating. I love the title music and imagery at the beginning of the DVD. I think I could watch just that bit alone. Thankfully the content and story line does ensure that I watch further.

I'm not sure if it is very historically accurate but I just don't care. I got into this on a long haul flight and bought it. I think my teenage daughter and I must have the same taste in men as we both fell for the charms of the main character ;-) The hairdressing department for this series must have had a lot of fun braiding and beading not only hair and beards. Very impressive and wonderful location. Makes you want to live there if you weren't so susceptible to having your head cut off.

Cannot recommend enough. It is definitely one for a darkened room and booming speakers.

Please make more soon....
on 20 January 2017
I thought I reviewed this ages ago....So here goes. This 3 series box set is amazing. I had watched all the 3 series' on TV but I just had to buy the box set to keep and watch forever. Series 4 has been out on Amazon prime, but I will wait for that to be put on a dvd which I will buy from Amazon. Looking forward to that. As I have said on other reviews I only buy and trust Amazon to purchace online. Call me cautious or perhaps I don't trust online shopping, which is where Amazon steps in, because I totally trust these people. Enjoy the box set, its fantastic.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 October 2017
But don't try to think about it deeply, or apply any kind of rational thinking to it. The dialogue is shallow at times and the characters, especially the Saxons, act like complete idiots - I mean, cringe-worthily stupid. If you can see past that, you get lovely cinematic shots, good music and fairly compelling (though dimwitted) characters. This season could easily be more realistic, more historical and just as enjoyable for the average viewer, which is why I'm not giving it 4 stars.
on 9 October 2017
Stick with the first episode and you'll find this an enjoyable watch. Sexy without being too gratuitous, gory because it just should be, plenty of good, well developed characters and plenty of plot going on.

It's a very gripping show.