Customer reviews

Aventine
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.29

on 10 May 2015
This accomplished and interesting album is rich in melody , mood and atmosphere .There is a feeling of melancholy within the songs that weaves it's way throughout the whole album but the original melodies don't leave the listener ever feeling downcast .Quite the opposite ! One ends up with a feeling of warm satisfaction that they have experienced a fine work of musical depth and integrity .

I had only heard 'The Curse' prior to buying Aventine and was slightly concerned that the rest of the album may turn out to be disappointing by comparison but I found that each song ( including the instrumentals) easily hold their own !

Having enjoyed this particular album, I hope to also purchase Agnes's other work in the near future .
3 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 September 2015
'Aventine' offers eleven numbers. Agnes Obel has an inimitably haunting voice that is dreamlike and almost pixieish but beautiful. One can't help compare her to Enya, although Agnes has moved this style to the next level. Here we have piano-led compositions, embellished with wise restraint and sparingly used instrumentation, soft percussion and strings that create a soundscape to compliment her vocal performances. The album offers beautifully tempered vocal harmonies that creates a magical experience. It's like listening to music in a woodland setting by moonlight.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2015
I saw Agnes Obel on Later with Jools Holland at what must have been around the time Aventine was released and really enjoyed the performance (she sang and played piano to the accompaniement of a violinist and cellist) but thought little more of it until a saw the CD adverised in a supplement. I checked out existing reviews on Amazon and was sufficiently impressed to buy. I wasn't disappointed. She has a lovely voice set to beautifully melodic and, to my ear, simply arranged music (piano, violin and cello to the fore) which provide a warming, soothing and relaxing listening experience. I subsequently bought the earlier released Philharmonics and found that to be just as enjoyable.
One person found this helpful
on 25 September 2014
Via via someone gave me a copy of this record, I was so impressed that I bought the vinyl edition (which comes with a free cd as well in the sleeve). Let keep this short and sweet. It has been a long time ago that I have heard something so beautiful, pure and atmospheric!
This album serves the autumn well, (although I played it all summer - especially at night). It is so nice to know that there are still some young musicians out there who are keeping it pure and real ! Personally I have been waiting for something like this for ages. Thank you Agnes Obel and everybody who worked on this beautiful piece of music/art.
on 14 March 2014
What I love about this album is the melodies. The structures of the songs may sound simple, but they are filled with utter beauty and feeling. The Curse has got to be one of the best songs I have discovered in recent years. There are so many great compositions on this album, even the small instrumental piano pieces. The voice is crystal clear and filled with emotion.
And to top it all off, the cover of this album is magnificent. It gives an idea about how nostalgic, beautiful and sincere this music is.
Thank you for your amazing songs, Agnes Obel.
on 18 November 2013
I stumbled across this as I was browsing, some time ago I fell in love with the Lhasa De Sela version of "where do you go ?" Sadly that was a bit of a one off success as her other
tracks are nowhere near as good (to my ears anyway )
and so discovering this was a very pleasant surprise. It is very similar in it,s haunting fashion, and Agnes has a superb voice. One of the plus points of this is that they have managed to make almost every track different with the use of different instruments.
I suspect that this is one of those albums that you never really tire of, we will see .........
on 7 November 2013
It says it all that many of the tracks have been singled out as favourites by the different reviewers here. It is certainly one of those albums that can be listened and enjoyed from start to end without wanting to skip any track. It is quite downbeat but all the better for it, and although at first some of the tracks do seem quite similar further listening seems to bring something different each time and I have found myself playing this album again and again. The Vinyl version sounds fantastic and comes with the CD and a mp3 download free, so if you have a turntable buy it, if not buy it and a turntable!
on 25 November 2017
A nice album and recommended if you like Agnes Obel. The album only plays for around 45 minutes and her other albums Philharmonics and Citizen of Glass are even shorter which is a bit of a let down as most CDs these days are at least 50 minutes or more. Only specific disappointment is that the CD case and the disc itself say that it includes the bonus track "September" but this was not on the CD, just the original 11 tracks.
on 27 May 2014
Was delivered fast, good price and is a superb CD!
Not my usual taste in music I was hooked from the "The Shetland" trailer! I love this album and was further inspired to buy "Philharmonics" and also tickets to see her live at the Barbican - which was absolutely amazing.
Her music is beautifully haunting simple yet complex, soothing yet dramatic! (You'll have to listen to understand!) I LOVE THIS ARTIST!
on 14 November 2016
I love this music its so heartfelt and bonecold , classic piano chanting cold and deliberate , I want more but surprise me more.
One person found this helpful