on 3 June 2016
This film completely passed me by on it's initial release. I hadn't even heard of it until 5 years later when I came across this Blu Ray by accident. Yes---it's premise borrows heavily from Cabaret and Coyote Ugly. And yes the critics are probably right in calling it campy and cliché. But I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless To add my own cynical two penneth, it does indeed take short cuts in ignoring the harsh reality knock backs of a struggling artist in favour of the more glossy contrived route of making it big, but when it comes to Cher and Christine Aguilar I forgive them. Especially when it comes to Christine Aguilar! Boy -----What a revelation! Just like Cher in her starting out days, Christine Aguilar can also bloody well act! So total kudos to her in me also giving her a belated 5 star Amazon thumbs up. And since I'm a 55 year old Englishman, hopefully that sways some positive opinion across all age groups!
on 7 March 2017
So this film is cheesier than cheddar but oh so good!! It really gets you in a happy mood and makes you want to dance around your living room! Some amazing dance routines, great singing and beautiful costumes. I love the music in this film, so much so ive danced to some of them on stage. If you ddont mind the cheese this ones for you!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 February 2017
If you’d like a couple of hours of pure entertainment and you like burlesque (nothing overly smutty ) and you like your dance routines, two wonderful singers and cabaret clubs, then this’ll be right up your alley. There are some good songs and some ordinary songs and it can be a bit gushy in places but there’s enough in the storyline to make it a very entertaining musical that keeps you interested right until the end. Both Cher & Aguilera act very well but Christine is most definitely the star of the show.
I watched ‘La La Land’ recently and this is much better musical and much more entertaining overall.
on 13 April 2015
I just love this movie; I find it so incredible sexy...especially the girls (there's eye candy for the ladies as well) Excellent soundtrack, I think if they'd had the foresight they could have made a full on musical with a few extra songs. Christina has never looked so hot, or sounded so good. The story may be a little predictable (small town girl with dreams of Hollywood) but that doesn't stop you from enjoying 'the best view on Sunset strip'.
on 21 September 2012
I bought this as I love a good chick flick, expecially if it has some good music and dancing in it. Given the cast includes Cher and Christina I was pretty optimistic about it.

The story follows small town girl Ali as she moves to LA to try and become a star. After a day of unsuccessful atempts to find a job, she stumbles on Burlesque, owned by Tess (Cher) and sets out to get a spot on the stage. At this point you start to feel like you are watching any number of other similar films (Cayote Ugly, Make it Happen etc)

Don't get me wrong, the dancing and costumes and great, but the songs are only ok with none being particulalry memorable. Ali often comes off as whiney or just completely unrealistic while Tess seems to just yell at people a lot. The bonding moment between Tess and Ali is cringe worthy and doesn't feel real. I did enjoy Kristen Bell as the opposition to Ali, she played the egotistical star well. The 2 male leads are charming and defeintely nice to watch. Cam Gidget provides a surprising amount of comedy to the film.

Overall this film has some good points but if you are looking for a good "small town girl makes it in the big city" I would stick with Cayote Ugly.
on 18 September 2011
I was not sure I wanted to see this film. I thought it might be a bit tawdry or even a bit weak.
I was wrong. The story is good the costumes and acts superb.
In fact the story is better than good and really quite inspiring in its triumph of hope over adversity. The finding of a legal quirk, is what the plot hinges upon.
Cher is magnificent, I have always thought she is a better actress than singer.
But the absolute, unquestioned star is Christina Aguilera.
Her voice is something I had never paid much attention to before. Some say she could run a demolition team with it. It is simply amazing. She acts well too.
This film? It is really rather good.........
on 30 November 2013
I have watched and re-watched this film and then enjoyed the special feature version with running commentary.
I love all the Alice in Wonderland motifs.
Christina Aguilera is perfect in the lead role, but Cher looks and sounds amazing in a role that fits her like a glove. Stanley Tucci is a fantastic foil for Cher in this movie.
And Jack? Well, he is very watchable too.

The songs, the costumes, the setting ... All make this a wonderful movie that I know I will watch again and again.
on 6 November 2016
Brilliant movie, fantastic soundtrack. I've loved Cher since I was a kid and Christina has one of the most amazing voices ever. It had a decent storyline with some really funny moments. It's a feel good movie and it does make you want to get up and dance, even when just getting out the chair is painful!
on 3 December 2015
I think this film is perfect for anyone who loves cheesy musicals like me! If you like Pitch Perfect, Rock of Ages, Footloose or Grease this is definitely a good film for you!
on 29 December 2011
I'm not going to make out like this is an original story or a musical that will be remembered in years to come... but what the hell, I enjoyed it! The characters are likeable, the acting is pretty good and the music is pretty great. Christina Aguleira and Cher should defintiely do more musical films, because they both have voices that have a very theatrical quality and I made sure to download the numbers they perform as soon as the end credits rolled. There's really nothing heavy or deep about this film, it really is just to be taken as a fun film with some good music. I'd watch it again.