on 29 November 2013
Bought this for my new Xperia Z1 as I didn't want to keep opening the waterproof flap every time that I needed to charge my phone. I expect to use this phone for over 2 years and would have concerns regarding the waterproof seal if it was opened and closed that many times. This cable allows charging of the phone by just placing it on the side of the casing. The one that I have received appears to be unbranded.

A proud owner of a MacBook Pro, I was expecting the connector for this charger to be similar to the excellent MagSafe connector. Unfortunately, this lead is nothing like it. The connector does not feel like it fits in the reciprocal indentation in the phone properly at all and has a very tenuous magnetic connection. This is the same whether I have a thin, hydrogel type PU case on the phone or not. The head of the connector rocks back and forth when attached and will ping off with the smallest knock. If you connect the lead when the phone is in your hand, you will need the steady hand of a neurosurgeon to place the phone on a surface without the cable detaching. I also worry that the connector will ping off during the night and leave my phone uncharged, or even worse, turn off and prevent my alarm from sounding. Also unlike MagSafe, the connector can only be placed on the phone in one particular direction. Connecting it the opposite way causes my phone to crash and reset!

When the cable does stay connected, it appears to charge the battery at the same rate as a regular charger.

Although the quality of the rest of the cable and covering is satisfactory, the length of the cable is less than a metre, which is too short and therefore annoying.

I do not think this particular cable is worth the money. Disappointing.
on 7 November 2013
I gave this item a 1 star rating as it plainly doesn't work with my new Xperia Z1

The magnets on the cable attach itself to the phone with ease yet the pins don't line up correctly meaning it doesn't charge. After much fiddling around you can get the charging pins to line up yet if you so much slightly tap or nudge the phone it knocks everything out of line again. It's much easier and productive to just use the plug in charger that comes with the phone.

Probably better to invest a little more money in a official charger.
on 18 October 2016
Cable was thin and after a few months of use, the rubber coating tore and the cable broke.
on 1 February 2014
The head does not align with the side of the Z Ultra. Although the magnet holds it in place, the pins do not connect sufficiently to charge. Worse, repeatedly trying to connect it will cause the phone to reboot.

Even worse, the cable seems to have damaged the Z Ultra, as it no longer charges when in the official Sony dock.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.
on 21 December 2013
The first one the seller sent me didn't work at all, so I contacted them and they sent me a replacement immediately. The replacement is working fine now and I'm pleased with it. This is NOT a "plug-in" type charger so it will come off easily, but I didn't tend to use it on the move anyway so that's not the issue.....
on 13 December 2016
Great.
on 6 January 2014
This has been very poor - doesn't always charge at all and takes an age to charge when it does. It is so bad I ordered a different type from the same seller (a magnetic tip which goes onto the micro usb end of a lead). Doesn't work either! Worse in fact.

As a result I ordered a genuine Sony DK30. Superb, works flawlessly and worth every penny!

Basically you get what you pay for so I am not entirely surprised.
on 8 December 2013
This product works well and it is much quicker and easier to attach to the Sony Xperia Z1 than the supplied mini USB cable.
on 3 September 2014
Cheap but very slow charging your phone which I am convinced is very bad for your phone battery. Magnet isn't very strong but a cheap product. Just wish I had bought the official sony version in the first place. Don't cut corners with this fantastic phone
on 29 June 2014
First there is no indication of how to use it. With the wire up or down. What is + and what is - you have to believe the photograph and use it with the cable down.
Then the adapter grows extremely hot when using this cable.
I used it once. Lost money.

See one answered question