Top positive review
5 people found this helpful
VNV Nation just get better and better.
on 11 October 2013
Well, if you liked 2011's Automatic, you will absolutely love 2013's Transnational.
1. Generator - A Wonderful trademark instrumental opener, just as it should be on a VNV Nation album.
2. Everything - uplifting, thumping rhythm, another good song.
3. Primary - even more thumping bass, really catchy synth hook, then an anthemic chorus, but all the time with that solid beat.
4. Retaliate - very definitely VNV Nation. Fabulous guitar-like sound, could be off FP&G, but brought up to date. One of my favourites.
5. Lost Horizon - another instrumental. Slow build up, then after a minute or so, drum and synth kick in for a minute then back to the almost choral effect, but with the drum coming back again. Perfect VNV Nation instrumental.
6. Teleconnect, Pt 1 - much more of Ronan's voice, sort of a nostalgic EBM poem, if there could be such a thing.
7. If I Was - soft keyboard opening, but only for about 15 seconds, then the rest kicks in. Halfway through, it goes to keyboard and voice for a while alone, then the rest come in with a lovely, large sound.
8. Aeroscope - In my very humble opinion, the best instrumental VNV Nation have ever done. Imagine "Control" but somehow louder.
9. Off Screen - Straight in with bass and synth, lovely almost harpsichord like synth halfway through. Good solid VNV Nation song, very catchy chorus.
10. Teleconnect, Pt 2 - An almost subtle beat and build up for 3.5 minutes, then the bassline starts, then 2 minutes later, the vocals then the drums, then slowly fades. A great ending to the album.
Apologies to all the diehard Faith,Power and Glory/Judgement/etc.. fans but Automatic was my favourite VNV Nation album.
I love all the albums, but for me, Automatic just brought it all together perfectly. On first (and second) hearing, Transnational is shaping up to be as good, if not even better than Automatic.
Please don't wait 2 years for the next one!