Customer reviews

on 7 November 2013
Some of the other reviews have criticised this book for not being as Justan centred as the others. I agree that this is the case, but I think it is a strength, not a weakness. This series has grown from a single Justan point of view and a rather basic plot to progressively more sophisticated plot lines, multiple points of view and ever deepening character development.

Cooley has also achieved interestingly varied personalities - an interestingly insane group of enemies, likeable support characters, a sophisticated magic system and an open ending (allowing a sequel) that didn't irritate me!

All in all, it's a very impressive series, and I, for one, am very curious to read more.
on 14 December 2013
Well this has been a really good series of books. The last book did not disappoint on any level, leaving us satisfied and relieved. I can see many other stories coming from these books as there are so many great characters. The short story 'Hilt's Pride' is a good example of how Trevor Cooley created their background stories. His world is well and truly established now, especially in my imagination, and I'm sure in many other readers. I hope you find these reviews helpful and I have no difficulty in stating that this was brilliant. I loved these books.
on 20 August 2014
Have read all 7 of these books and am looking forward to Book 8. The story is excellent and with a lot of thought on how to progress each of the characters. They grow with the story, and an exciting story it is.
To start off with you want to smack Justan but slowly he grows up before your eyes and we begin to see the making of a strong, likable character. Fist, Deathclaw and Gwyrtha all bring a different perspective to the story and add more depth to the characters. They all play a central part to the story which I like rather than just being extras added for the sake of it.
This story is a continuing saga and I like all the twists and turns that it offers and also the fact that there is a war going on and some of the characters that you like die as well and those who live suffer greatly.
As I said before like this story and looking forward to the next installment.
on 2 January 2014
Great series with some really original ideas and characters to believe in . The plot has twists and turns that sometimes you see coming and others you dont. Cant wait for more.
on 4 November 2013
This was a good end to this series. But there is still so many loose ends which await a whole new series which was a little disappointing as now I know it's not over
on 13 November 2013
Does not disappoint and look forward to more soon. A great series and unusually a series I haven't bored with.
on 24 October 2013
A fantastic, gripping story from start to finish and a great end to the saga. Well done. I love the ending :-)
on 1 July 2014
I just love these books-all of them. The variety of idea,characters and general storyline are wonderful. I almost can`t bear to read the next book because it`s the final one and I really don`t want this to end. There are some weaker aspects- the love interests/relationships are quite awkward but thankfully these don`t take up too much of the book and the rest is just fabulous.
on 11 January 2015
the ending was left open to a certain degree-I expect to allow more follow-up books. I've started on the 6th book and I don't like it as much as the first 5. The previous books were excellent and would recommend them to anyone who likes G.RR Martin and Patrick Rothfuss. Well done Mr.Cooley!
on 2 February 2015
Excellent introduction to the series which gets better with each subsequent book.
Recommended if this genre appeals.