Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 October 2013
Picking up with Edmund and Pond after their adventures in Riddle in Stone was as easy as relaxing into a comfortable armchair at the end of a hard day. That is to say it was effortless.

Edmund remains the most abused of main characters as talented author, Robert Evert puts him repeatedly into challenging circumstances with a plethora of adversaries. Edmund is tested again and again physically, mentally, magically and emotionally. And as the rapt reader you'll be put through the wringer right along side him!

After all he's been through Edmund knows any who chose to stand by his side risk their life to do so. But such is his likability that it's a price all seem willing to pay. And as merciless as it may seem, Robert Evert sets out to prove Edmund's point with both new characters and those established from Riddle in Stone falling before Edmund's pursuers.

What surprised me about this story was not only how easy it was to get back into after the months and books that have passed since reading Riddle in Stone , but also how easy it was to read. Pages passed so quickly, each one packed to bursting, that I'd finished it before I even realised.

If you're going to read Betrayal in the Highlands it's strongly recommend you read Riddle in Stone first. It will set you up beautifully for what's to come and allow you to build your connection to all the fantastic characters you'll meet within.

With another book yet to come, just as you relax and think Edmund's finally going to be allowed the peace he seeks, Betrayal in the Highlands ends on an explosive discovery, ensuring you'll be champing at the bit to join Edmund on the next big adventure.

Riddle in Stone (The Riddle in Stone Series - Book One)
on 25 March 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable story. Quite brutal in some parts which is refreshing. Life is not fair and all tales have a dark undercurrent which is reflected in this story. I was enchanted by the main characters and it was very upsetting when fatty moron died. He was a charming addition to the main story line.
on 24 November 2013
Some books you get right into and can't put down. I read again and enjoyed it so much, I bought the Audio book. I'm talking about the first book. A month later did search in Amazon under authors name only to find Book 2 was available, with the same enjoyable results. Great characters excellent stories.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 December 2013
rating:4.7
In order to write this review, I re-read Riddle in Stone and then read again Betrayal in the Highlands.
You can really feel the difference in the writing. In Betrayal in the Highlands, you can see that Robert Evrett has found his pace and that the hesitancy in his writing is gone.
In this second part, Edmund comes into his own. As a character, he does remind me of a certain Bilbo Baggins but a romantic one. Our Edmund would love to find someone who would love him but unfortunately, it is not to be. Not only has he got Goblin hunters after him, he also has a trio of evil magicians (cleverly introduced to us in Riddle in Stone) who will stop at nothing to get their hands on the secret he carries in his head. Therefore anyone closed to him is in danger. Which does not prevent Pond, his former pit dweller mate and mentor in the goblins' mines to stick with him and to become, if I can say so, his sidekick. We have a very deep friendship, an unsaid brotherhood bond that nothing can break between two unlikely heroes and adventurers. Not even Abby's pretty face. Yes, the author has introduced us to a new central character, Abigail. I like her a lot. Not a silly pretty face but a runaway would be adventuress, clever, intuitive and with a big heart, loyal to a fault but as impulsive as Becky, Edmund's fifty pounds puppy. Becky is also a central character and it is interesting to see how her role develops in the story.
As for Molly and Norb, well, after their betrayal, I could not find it in my heart to feel sorry for them. I loved the way Abby 'persuaded' Molly to reveal the extent of her treachery and how she used Edmund's love for her.
Betrayal in the Highlands is a solid fantasy book. But is my opnion that you have to read first Riddle in Stone.
I highly recommend both books to fantasy lovers. And no, it is nof a spin off of Lord of the Ring. Yes, you can feel Tolkien's influence but Betrayal in the Highlands is not LOTR nor The Hobbit. Edmund, Pond, Abby are normal people, with their fears, hopes for the future. They could be you or me and like Edmund, we would be talking to ourselves in our head.
The only thing I would question though in the story, is why, towards the end, Horoic, Lester and Edith had Edmund all alone in the woods but they let him (grudgingly) go. Was it because of what Becky has become or Edmund's new sword? but due to the strength of their magical powers, I feel they could have easily overpowered him. I suppose the reason will be revealed in book 3.
Oh yes, there is also a mighty twist at the end. It would be too horrific to think that the Undead King would have...no,no,no. I do not want to even think abou it.
Well, read the book to find out for yourself. My guess is that you will not regret it.
I shall be waiting eagerly for book 3.
Well done to the author.
on 15 July 2017
I am loving this hero even if I want to hit him at times. I can't wait for the next book
on 26 September 2014
Very much a continuation of the first book not a stand alone story. If I'm honest I was disappointed with this book. That's more to do with book 1 setting expectations so high and less to do with any failings in book 2. I think I was expecting New revelations and development of the hero's powers before a crescendo of action that brings this section of the story to an end.. what was,delivered was a book which felt more like a scene setting for a future book than a story in its self. A bit like one of those American dramas like lost that roles one forever. I have no idea what the introduction of the character fatty what ever his name was. He seems to have turned up been a hinderence and then been written out. Eds idea of managing a state seems to be some sort of crude version of communism. I think he'd be killed or disposed by the populace who'd take his money. Or just seen as weak and killed by a bully that would then rule the state as a dictator. I might read book 3 just to see how on earth the author stabilizes the plot enough to create an ending.
on 29 July 2015
Book – Betrayal in the Highlands (Riddle in Stone #2)
Author – Robert Evert
Star rating - ★★★★★
Plot – great – very intriguing and unpredictable
Characters – just as good as book 1

Movie Potential - ★★★★★
Ease of reading – very easy to read
Cover - Perfect
Suitable Title - Yes
Would I read it again - Yes

After being gifted book 1 by the author, in Nov 2013. At the time, I loved it, but books 2 and 3 weren't available. Then, when they were, I didn't have the time to read them.

I re-read book 1 last week, just finished book 2 and I'm ready to delve straight into book 3 tonight.

First off, I love that the story picks up straight from the end of book 1. Riddle of Stone left us wondering where the story could go, what would happen and who would survive into the next book.

CHARACTER

I absolutely love Edmund, but that's nothing new. He and Pond are incredible characters and there's such a bromance going on between them that is adorable, but also shows their character even more. They're stronger together, always have each other's back and I love the fact that they're still together, after everything they'd been through in the pits.

As for the new characters, Abby is a great addition. Feisty and independent, I really like that she's strong, but has moments of vulnerability and a hidden past that will be interesting to explore in book 3. I just know there's more to the story of her relationship with her father than she's letting on. But that's the genius of Robert Evert's writing. You know there's more to come, but you don't mind waiting for it, because you know it's going to be exciting and incredible.

I sadly miss Thorax, who was a great character, even though she was a dog. But I always knew there was something special about her and that's only proven true, when Becky comes into Edmund's life, as her replacement. Becky, however, is crazy! Wild, uncontrollable and she's like Thorax on steroids.

I also really appreciate that Ed hasn't moved on from Molly too easily. His feelings for her still haunt him, which is wonderful. So many stories move from one love interest to another, with each new book, but Evert hasn't done this. He's stuck with his guns; Molly as the love interest in book 1, Molly as the main love interest in book 2, though there's a new addition of a possible love interest, too.

I LOVE that Kravel and Gurding are included, too, because they're great baddies.

I think that Fatty Moron has to be my favourite new character, although I do love the smaller characters that appear when they reach Rood. The beauty of Fatty is that he doesn't speak, but he has soooo much to say. He's like a mirror into Edmund's past and a vision of what he could have become, had he not left Rood for his adventure. He's everything that Edmund doesn't want to be reminded of, but he still goes out of his way to save him and gives up a precious item that he dreamed of giving to Molly. The sacrifice is huge, inspired by Abby, but it's also a symbol of his compassion. Fatty's situation is so abhorrent to Edmund, that even sacrificing the precious gift is worth saving Fatty's life.

The way that Fatty interacts with the other characters is incredible. Though he doesn't speak, he communicates in his own way. He adores Abby, takes instant control of Becky, training her the way that neither Ed or Pond could, and finds his bravery from the way Ed, Pond and Abby treat him.

I'm a little sad that Edith turned out to be something I never expected, but at the same time, it's a really great twist. I had hoped, with her being a librarian, that she would be a great love interest for Edmund, but I think I love the new twist better.

PLOT

As I said, I love that we came straight into the action. The story takes place shortly after book 1, with the same trouble and fight facing Edmund and Pond. We're straight back into the action from page one and there's none of this false 'comfort zone' that some action books offer. The enemy is still hot on their trail, still out for blood and determined to catch their prey. There's no relief from the chase or false sense of security.

It's the same story, the same fight, with a new twist and recurring characters that make book 2 feel like it's simply an extension of book 1. It's more like a new chapter than a brand new book, which I love.

I also really like the way that Edmund uses his knowledge of literature and history, to save their skins, again and again. He always comes up with a new plan, a new attempt to save them. Although it doesn't always seem easy or feasible, he always pulls it off in the end. And although his stutter has improved from book 1, it's not been cured and I love that. The stutter and his missing eye, make Edmund real and individual. He's changed, but he's still fundamentally the same person on the inside.

Without giving too much away, I'm really happy that the troll was brought back into the story and that Ed and Pond got back into his cave, to see that book again. I was waiting to find out if that would be important or just a tool for Ed to recognise the importance of the second book with the same runes, that he used in book 1, to find the tower after being in Eryn Mas.

The entire development of the plot is exciting. Not only do we know that the past is going to clash with Ed's present and possibly haunt him to the very last page, but it's made clear that he'd got new struggles to face, too. He and Pond stick together through it all, fighting every fight, facing every foe and discussing each adventure together, as equal partners.

The adventure is riveting and so different to book 1. While I loved Edmund's experience in the pits, the experiences of this book – travelling, Dardenello, Long Ravine and Rood – are so well plotted and experienced, that it felt almost as if I was there. I love the detail of the world, further explored by Edmund's adventures and the danger of each adventure.

I also love the events that happen in Rood, near the end of the book. I love the way that everything seems to come together and it becomes really exciting to see how that's going to lead into book 3. The cliffhanger of the last few pages was just incredible and exciting. I didn't see it coming.

There were so many moments where I whooped and giggled, cringed and fist-pumped my way through the story. And, sadly, I can't tell you why. I won't ruin the surprise for you. But trust me, read the book and you won't regret it. I couldn't put it down!

Favourite Quotes:
“You know,” Pond said, yawning. “It's amazing what I can tolerate now. Before I found my way into the goblins' loving care, I was afraid of mice and rats. Couldn't stand to be dirty, either. Now look at me.”
“You're a pillar of courage and filth,” Edmund said.

“In every book and in every tale, people trying to escape from someplace always leave before dawn.”
on 31 August 2014
This isn't the type of book I usually go for. The main character isn't the best in the land with a sword or the most powerful magician seen for a 100 generations. He does however have strengths in his character that help him develop into a convincing hero. The story line was well paced and the writing didn't get bogged down with unwanted details.

Not just a middle series book.
on 28 June 2014
I thought the first book was just a set of unhappy circumstances, but having read this one, I can only assume that Edmund is the victim of a perverse curse. Some of his choices are rather odd as is his fortune, or lack thereof. I would have expected by now that he would have started to take control of some things instead of being a doormat.
on 13 May 2014
I loved this book and the previous one "riddle of the Stone". I just hope Mr Robert Evert creates a book 3. If he does I will be first in line to buy it.