Customer reviews

on 3 January 2016
The Little Book of the Black Country

This book is a must for anyone living in the Black Country, and a treat for anyone who doesn't. There are so many facts - some of which I'd previously attributed to folklore - and interesting anecdotes, carefully compiled and blended with local humour.
I like the way it includes towns and villages not always included in the area: whilst I fully acknowledge the original mining area as the origin of the description (a hatched area on a map was the explanation of one knowledgeable historian) For my money, the true Black Country includes anywhere the 'dark arts' of industry thrived and the unique dialect is spoken. eg: I think a Smethwick dweller who says "Yo bay" or "Yo bin" is entitled to call himself a Blackcountryman, whilst anyone who strenuously denies he's Black Country doesn't deserve to be included anyway. Or is that too contentious?
A born Snetta and fellow writer, I loved this book (can you tell?) from start to finish - and found nothing whatsoever to question it on apart from the fact that (like all good things) it came to an end. Congratulations Michael Pearson, I shall be recommending this book to everyone I know and I hope it has the success it deserves.
on 6 June 2016
I knew the black country had a lot of history but I never knew quite how much.
Since moving to Cardiff I am often called a Brummie. So I decided to buy this book to learn more about my heritage and to be able to give some facts about the black country.
The book itself is well written and laid out in a clear concise layout.

A great read. Highly recommended.
on 14 January 2014
I bought this as a present for my friends husband. I obviously intended scanning through it before I wrapped it. I loved it - I read it all!

Nick too was delighted with it and found it full of information and facts about the Black Country. I would certainly recommend this to anyone who is interested in this area of the country - and others - go on - find out for yourselves just what an interesting area of the country this is.
on 23 April 2017
Having grown up in The Black Country during the sixties
Ithought this book a treat!
on 5 November 2017
lovely little book
on 4 October 2017
I enjoyed this book but there were one or two things I thought would be included. For example grey pays are a traditional Black Country dish and there was no mention of Slade. Still, I suppose you can't put everything in.
on 29 September 2016
As we live in the Black Country thought it would make a good read we wer'nt wrong.Good Book.
on 30 May 2015
Brilliant little book about the Black Country. Full of facts and figures with plenty of Humour too. One thing I would have liked is some kind of index. This is rather annoying but then again the book can be read completely in an hour!
on 14 September 2014
A fascinating collection of facts and stories relating to Black Country history and culture. One of those books that will be consulted quite frequently especially when friends are chatting about the "old-times".
on 28 January 2018
Bought as a present for a German friend who has visited the area