Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 27 June 2017
Having used solely this book to pass CCNA, I can say that its fantastic.

It cuts out the unnecessary information from the Cisco cert guides, and reorders the content into a much more reasonable order.

Note: CCNA has been changed to exams 100-105, 200-105 and 200-125, so make sure you order the newer version of this book, as several key technologies have been added and removed from the exam.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2016
CCNA is being updated again, you basically have until mid August 2016 to pass ICND1 and September 2016 to pass ICND2 or you will have to buy the new version of the book. The exams, including the composite exam, have new ID numbers. Some items have been removed, some moved from ICND1 and some to ICND2. Check the Cisco page for more details
on 22 April 2014
This is the only CCNA book I've read so I cannot compare with other books on the market. I found it sufficient for the exam but it must be noted that the exam has questions from areas that are not discussed in the book but only a few.

I think that the book can be more concise if the wording and grammar was better. Ideas can be put in less words which would also make them clearer. Towards the end of the book it looked as though one of the author's objectives was to make the book as many pages as possible by bad wording and copy-pasting from previous chapters. I personally would pay more for books that can teach me something quicker and with less pages.

I like the format of the chapters: theory, configuration, verification then exercises. However, more advanced topics are not accompanied by good Hands-on labs and questions. The practice questions in the ICND2 part of the book are not great and will leave you wanting more.

There are a few places where the author uses the incorrect term as which beginners might not notice but even slightly more advanced users will get confused by.

I really think that the book can be much better if the exercises in ICND2 are better.
on 18 April 2014
Lammle has a pretty good reputation in Cisco circles, and this book is very comprehensive, this book is an ideal companion for anyone already studying or preparing for Cisco certification, but note, this book isn't aimed at beginners to networking.

CCNA exam content has now changed and this book covers the new topics such as ipv6, Etherchannels, FHRP, etc, so be sure to buy any material that specifically covers the new exam (200-120, september 2013 onwards).

It has loads of mock exam questions to practice, and plenty of labs to recreate in Packet Tracer or GNS3 which are the books strong points, weak points are badly organised contents pages and the sheer size of the book, it's two inches thick.

For this price (£20 when I bought it) I would recommend it, but as I said this is not a 'for dummies' book, but a course companion.
on 26 August 2014
I passed the 200-120 exam today (26 Aug 2014) using this book and other material. Practice exams AND the actual exam questions showed that a few points were lacking in the book. Easy to understand, enjoyable to read, but not 100% coverage of the exam.
The CD (download) comes with practice questions, don't rely on them.... not like the actual exam at all...
on 10 January 2014
I used this book to get my certification and passed both exams, I did it in two parts, with a very high score. This book goes into enough detail to pass the exams and the labs give you some real experiance. Todd explains the material in an easy to understand manner!
on 17 September 2016
So just passed my ICND2 a month after my ICND1 using this book as my primary study method for both. Although the exam is changing to a new version now so the edition I got (100-101 - 200-101) won't cover all the new objectives on the new version of the exam.

The book is very good and really covers all you need for the exam. It also has a humorous style which makes the studying more enjoyable. The labs and review questions at the end of each chapter really help check your understanding.

I found some topics needed some more explanation but this is easily compensated for by typing "ccna + topic name" into google as there are quite a few resources online which can give you an alternative explanation of a topic.

Overall would definitely recommend this author. I used Cisco's packet tracer for practicing even though I also have physical equipment but I don't think real equipment is necessary for this CCNA - although no idea if that applies to the new exam version.
on 10 October 2014
Awesome book. Todd has really done well with this book and his online forum to ask additional questions. I'm a very happy customer and will be coming back to Todd in the future for my next level of cisco certification. I also particularly like the network simulation software also available with the book,
on 16 October 2014
Great book with all the information structured in a plain English fashion. I used this to pass ICND 1 and will be sitting ICND 2 within the next 6 weeks. Although it's an exceptional book my method of learning still required me to use CBT Nuggets and various web resources.
on 12 June 2014
I haven't finished reading it yet, but so far am loving it. Technical details are thoroughly explained satisfactorily with great real world scenarios given. I would recommend this book for any beginner with no networking background.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse