on 15 April 2015
Actually, this is an excellent unit when supplied with a working cable. I bought one over a year ago and it's still going well but having just bought four more (two then another two to replace problematic first pair) I am so disappointed.
Late addition - I can add that after contact with company everything was sorted out and I now have excellent working units.

None of the four cables worked properly - tested against five different laptops each with four USB ports including one just a few months old. Would only work if the connector was pushed only part way in or pushed in then pulled back a little. Then there was the risk of accidental disconnection if the cable was jogged.

Sending all four back and having to buy a less good product from somewhere else but at least these others have reliable connectors. I really only wanted to get working cables but apparently I can only send complete units back.

Maybe the seller can sort something out to get this back to what it was! Until the, I'm afraid I can only give a maximum of one star.
1515 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 January 2014
Not what I expected. Said to be compatible with my Mac computer, but it was just an empty case, with nothing in it.
1111 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 August 2016
I should know better but this was purchased late at night after a couple of glasses of wine. I was looking for cheap portable hard drive to back up some stuff and this was cheap and so I ordered it. It arrived a little late (only a couple of days- nothing serious) and I was in no real hurry anyway.
It was packaged well and is without fault and so I cannot give this a bad review. Yet I was looking for a Hard Disk Drive and this is not that. As I say this is my fault and not the suppliers and on reading the literature for this item (without blurry eyes) they do make it clear that it it is not a hard disk but rather an enclosure that you can insert a HDD into. Essentially it is a plastic box, it seems to be a well made and designed plastic box that would be easily carried in a pocket and so portable in every way. If you have a HDD that would fit into the box and is without a cover then this could well be useful to you. Me I have purchased a plastic box with nothing to put in it.
55 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 August 2015
Seemed like a great product for the money, but the enclosure died for no apparent reason about a month outside Amazon's return window.
77 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 October 2017
Strangely this was delivered on a Sunday by courier! On opening it was obvious that it had already been opened and then badly repacked. I inserted three different SSHDs to test but ALL had intermittent connection problems!

I recommend you look elsewhere as this product is not worth wasting your time and money on!

Inateck provided a replacement.

Top quality customer service provided by Jane. The new drive works a treat and is way better than this one I originally bought. The replacement item is:Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Enclosure External Case for 9.5mm 7mm SATA/HDD/SSD with 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub, UASP Supported, Tool-Free

This one works a treat and is way better than my original order.

Thank you Inateck and Jane for resolving my issue perfectly!
review imagereview imagereview image
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 January 2014
I used this drive enclosure to help me upgrade a 3 year old Macbook Pro. I removed the 320GB drive from the Mac and installed it in the enclosure to start the upgrade process.

I liked the tool-free approach. The case top slides off when pushed firmly, a bit like the battery covers of old mobile phones. Insertion of the drive was a little unnatural as it was necessary to ease it in at an angle - normally I would expect to line the drive and connector up completely horizontally, but that is not what you do here. My first reaction was there may be a risk of bending the contacts but I assumed the manufacturer knew what they were doing so I gave the drive a firm shove and in it went. Replacing the cover was very simple.

The drive is USB 3.0 compliant and is supplied with a sturdy 70cm cable which I attached to my USB 2.0 Mac socket. It has an on/off switch and on re-booting my Mac I was able to run it from the attached Inateck drive. So far so good.

However I struggled with OSX system hangs - the permanently spinning beachball - at frequent intervals during intensive file transfer operations, especially when larger files were being moved. Alternatively, the drive was spontaneously ejected which is a pretty undesirable on a Mac. Even when the drive was attached but not being used I got system hangs which needed hard rebooting. The computer has now run solidly for over 30 hours since the drive was disconnected and has not crashed once; suggesting some issue with the drive. My own guess is that it is related to the powered-by-USB nature of this drive and the age of the MAC. My other USB powered drive has a double connector at the PC end to boost power and this has worked flawlessly for a year or so. So possibly an up-to-date USB 3.0 equipped computer will work perfectly with this unit.

In the end I was not able to clone or mass copy the drive from the Inateck to my new Mac drive, I had to re-install OSX from disks and rebuild my system with some help from the USB drive. It helped a lot but was not a solution in itself. My only other instincts are that the enclosure is a tight fit to a 9mm thick drive with no obvious ventilation so it may cause the drive to run hot when used for extended periods.

If I attempted this upgrade again I may look for some mains powered cradle to see if this makes life easier.
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 January 2014
This is the fastest USB 3.0 enclosure that I have tested!! Write speeds of 425MB/s and read speeds of 395MB/s with a Crucial M500 SSD! I have 6 other USB 3.0 cases and none of them come close - most can only get to 245MB/s Read and 232MB/s write. It's nice to have a real on-off switch for a change and I like the quick access to install the drive, but the case does feel a little flimsy and I don't know how long the small clips on the lid will last. Likewise, I don't understand why they used USB A to USB A connectors for the drive when nearly every USB 3.0 2.5" case comes with a USB A to USB Micro-B connector these days - thus inconvenient to have to carry an extra cable, so -1 star for the cable.

If you want a FAST enclosure for an SSD, then this is it... for now! Works fine with my Mac too.
66 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 January 2014
 Demo and review of Inateck's external enclosure for HDDs and SSDs. I really like this external enclosure as it is the first time I've had one which is USB 3.0 and doesn't require any fiddling with nuts and bolts. The video shows you how it works, how to connect it properly and how to get the most out of the drive.
66 Comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2017
This hard drive enclosure arrived next day and was well packaged.
It is really simple to use (I had to look in the instructions how to open in, but once you know the trick, it's really easy) and fells solidly built when closed and containing a hard drive. There is an extra foam pad included so that even thin drives do not move around in the enclosure.
The blue LED on top is not too bright and could easily be covered with a bit of insulation tape inside if not wanted.
The addition of an ON/OFF switch is most welcome.
USB3.0 means that this enclosure is fast - see my CrystalDiskMark results.
The faster results are using a cheap SSD drive (SSD, MX100, 2.5" 7MM, 512GB, CRUCIAL CT512MX100SSD1 By CRUCIAL MEMORY)
The slower using a standard laptop HDD (Seagate ST500LT012 2.5 inch 500GB Momentus Thin Hard Drive (S-ATA 3Gb/s, 16MB, 5400 RPM, Seagate SmartAlign Technology, OEM)).
Both drives were in identical Inateck FEU3NS-1 enclosures and connected one after the other to the same USB3.0 port for testing.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 29 August 2015
bought this to use on my new 2015 TV.... drops connection from 2015 Samsung 40" 4K Smart TV (UE40JU7000)... records then fails to play back for more than a few seconds, drops connection to TV often for no reason, appears to be a very unstable enclosure for this purpose... placed HDD into a different cheaper brand enclosure (also from Amazon) and it works fine on my TV... so can only presume enclosure has a hardware fault or compatibility problem...

follow up extensive testing: I have even swapped the Inateck encloser to a different USB port on the smart TV, still drops out connection... I have tested other branded USB enclosures on the Smart TV USB ports with no drop outs, I even stress tested the USB ports by plugging USB powered enclosures (1TB drives) into both, no problems with the USB ports with other enclosures, just the Inateck one dosnt want to play ball...
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse