Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 18 November 2013
Moll French's memoir of surviving abuse is a harrowing read. As an abuse survivor myself, I identified with this story in so many ways that I not only had trouble putting it down, I had trouble keeping a dry eye.

This book will stay with you long after you've read it. The candid, unfiltered picture painted by the author of the reality of the effects of abuse is invaluable to anyone looking to understand what happens to children when they've been subjected to such debasing treatment. Moll, like many other abused children, acted out in response to the way she was treated. As a child, she exhibited sexualized behavior, anxious and compulsive behaviors, low self-esteem, and an extreme need to protect others when they'd been hurt. As often happens, the victim becomes the victim yet again when society does not understand why the child acts as she does and is rejected and judged by those who've been lucky enough to never have been abused.

My heart broke for the author many times over, but knowing and feeling her internal strength and drive to achieve a better life for herself also made me care for and respect her immensely. Bravo to Moll French for her courage to bare the darkest corners of her mind to the world. I highly recommend this book.
on 26 October 2013
This is a sad story of a young girl's abuse from a young age by a much older man. This was compounded by her family's total lack of support, and the fact that although she was the victim they laid the blame on her. She had nowhere to turn, but she was a brave and ultimately strong person and managed to get away and build a better life. I wish the very brave author well, and I hope her abuser is one day brought to justice.
on 12 October 2013
A great read, I have not put it down since purchasing it. All the way through I was hoping for a happy ending and it makes you think, life is what you make it and it can be at times a cruel cruel world.
on 17 April 2016
I am very fussy about grammar and spelling in the books I buy for my Kindle and I am usually highly critical. This book is full of peculiar grammar choices and incorrect spelling and for once I didn't care, because it didn't matter. The author's style is very conversational and the grammar and spelling mistakes do not detract from this, so despite the inaccuracies it was still a pleasure to read and it felt as if Moll French was in the room, telling me about her past. I miss her now that I have finished reading the book.

Moll was no angel herself and she comes across as a strong, challenging personality. Her story is believable. She did not have underage sex and her husband did not break the law, he was just - as the title of the book says - a dirty old man who should have known better. I understand entirely why she married him and put up with him for so long, and I think she was in love with him when they married, even though she does not remember it that way. Whilst I am nothing like Moll, I have experienced a destructive relationship myself and I think I learnt a lot from it, as I am sure she did, too. I was able to identify with her and I understood exactly why she found it so hard to leave. In my view relationships will always be difficult for Moll and I hope that the happiness and security she has now found will last a long time.
on 30 September 2013
I don't normally read this kind of book but downloaded it on recommendation and also because it was free. I can't say I 'enjoyed' it because no one can enjoy reading of the pain another human has suffered in the way Moll did, but it was a good book to read and mainly because Moll didn't inflict on the reader in minute deatil the abuse she suffered - most of it was left to the imagination with just a gentle hint of what she went through. I'm glad she managed to get her life together and can share the love with her children that she missed out on with her own parents.
on 20 October 2013
I couldn't put this book down, well written, an awful insight into what goes on behind closed doors and the type of filthy predators that are about grooming and letching off children. Well done for your strength to come through all this horror as you have moll! I hope this book can help others to see the light and find strength to break free. Best wishes to you.
on 15 October 2013
Excellent book. It is a harrowing story of lost childhood and stolen youth. The way it has been written you can visualize the squalid grimy conditions she had to endure and feel her fear, guilt and shame. I hope life continues to be positive for her now. Definitely a must read, but you will need a box of tissues!
on 9 January 2014
I don't usually read these types of books but I thought I'd give it a go, glad I did! Reading about mols heartbreaking start in life and the fact she had the strength to over come it all was truely inspirational, although this book isn't written that well it's such a sincere read that it keeps you hooked to the end!
on 4 November 2013
The funny thing is, for a long time I was quite averse to the so-called 'Tragic Life Memoir' category. David Peltzer started it all of course, with A Child Called It and that opened the floodgates for every 'woe is me, I stubbed my toe when I was nine and it's scarred me for life' type story. I distinctly remember visiting the Cardiff branch of Waterstones some ten years ago or so, and they actually had a whole bookshelf there with a big sign above it saying Tragic Life Memoirs. And my heart sank...

This book *is* tragic and is an extremely harrowing account of a person's life. It is bleak in many ways and brutally honest too. The only ray of hope comes towards the end of the book, when Moll meets and befriends another girl, but even that short spell of happiness ends tragically too. Now this sort of book, if written by a certain sort of person, could end up as a whinging, whining, depressing, complaining sort of book. I have to say with all honesty, that does not happen here. Moll writes about the events with just the right amount of detachment so that it doesn't wallow in self-pity and allows the reader to connect with the characters and become involved, as I did.

The writing style itself is excellent. It is concise, clear writing and very 'to the point'. No flowery language is used that could sensationalise or even romanticise certain episodes. It is factual, but with feeling.

Well done Moll and I have to say, I would now be very interested in reading any fiction that you have written as I suspect you would be equally good, if not better, at that.
on 18 December 2015
I absolutely adored this book because it was written so beautifully, I cried along with the author and it touched my heart to read her harrowing story. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to be reminded how lucky they are in life and that others are not so lucky.