on 23 December 2013
I bought this book having discovered Matts blog just recently, and I am now recommending it to everyone! 6 months ago I was a (bit of an) overweight lethargic smoker. I decided to start running for various reasons, starting with a 5km charity run. As I researched running, I also started looking at the fuel I was putting into my body - as a canine nutritionist I am aware of the importance of 'putting in the right fuel'. I was looking for a book that combined the two, which 'No Meat Athlete' does admirably. It does something else too though - hence the 5 stars.

Instead of just telling us how and why to feed myself for optimum health, energy and nutritional value, and how and why to train for my big goals, Matt also explains how we can introduce those ideas into our lives, how to form habits that last a lifetime. This is truly inspirational and life changing. I am now on journey from having been a carnivorous just-starting-to-get-off-the-couch runner to seeing myself run an off road marathon, and then an Ultra. Matt doesn't just inspire he gives us the road map to find our way.

An insightful and very readable book that moves from the kitchen to the lounge and back again so I can keep dipping into it. The recipes are easy to follow and tasty, I have a feeling that every time I read this book I will notice something new.
on 14 December 2013
This is a good book which covers all the areas needed to get going with running and supporting this with a plant based diet. It's a good introductory book with plenty solid advice on how to get started with both of these topics. There is also a good on how to set goals and achieve them. Very useful whether you're a beginner or an experienced runner/plant eater :) The book has some nice anecdotes from both the author and other (vegan) athletes.

I think the book achieves it's goals however it isn't a deeply technical book and if you follow his, excellent, blog then you'll be familiar with the content.

A really good set of go to recipes :)
on 2 May 2014
I love this book. Not only did I read it in a few days, bit I refer to it constantly for recipes and advice. The tips and ideas have really worked for me both in running and diet. The recipes and formulas are brilliant - I use them every day. If you want no nonsense advicd , want to improve your running and take your health more seriously then this is for you.
on 18 June 2014
I bought this book whilst getting back into running after many years. I also transitioned from veggie to vegan in the running break. I love the book and am steadily following the half marathon plan plus all the nutritional advice. One of the best books I have found that encompasses the entire subject. Thank you !
on 30 July 2016
this is a great read for anyone who wants to train and eat as best as they can and is great for any sport not just running.
its very informative and good explanations of what your body requires and how to get them, i really enjoyed reading this book, its helped me a lot .
on 28 April 2016
I've been a following the No Meat Athlete blog and podcast for ~18 months; I've also been vegan for a few years but often get into the rut of eating the same type of foods, and am fairly new to running. I wanted to check out the book partly to delve into the NMA ethos in more detail, and partly to have access to all the diet/running research in a single resource that I can easily refer back to.

This book really does cover all the topics you'd expect - the advantages of a plant-based diet, tips on changing your habits to help stick with a lifestyle change, dietary requirements for athletes, 60-odd pages of recipes (all of which include nutritional information), setting running goals, tips on running form/technique, then 5k, 10k and half-marathon training plans.... and plenty more.

It's well researched and contains plenty of detail, but is written in a down-to-earth, engaging and accessible way, and includes loads of contributions from other vegans, nutritionists, pro-level and amateur athletes, and more. I also appreciate the writing/editing style - I find some books on nutrition/diet can be a bit dry and tedious, but this one avoids that by including plenty of side-bars, bullet points, lists etc to break up the text to stop my pathetic attention span from wandering too much!

I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but there looks to be a good variety here, all fairly straight-forward, using common ingredients. Plus, as someone who hates cup measurements found in most US recipes, this one mercifully includes quantities by weight as well. Thank you!

Overall, it's a pretty comprehensive resource for anyone who wants to start a vegan diet and/or running, and for existing vegans/runners to further their knowledge and approach their lifestyle with more intent/mindfulness.
on 17 February 2014
Excellent book gives a good insight into how the vegetarian approach works. Straight forward. Good starter book with some good easy to make meals I would have never believed going vegi would be so simple
on 9 February 2014
Simple to understand Gives insight into vegetarian and vegan foods which I haven't used before Good all rounder would recommend to anyone 😃
on 14 April 2014
Haven't finished reading it yet but so far it's very inspiring and a great role model for others I hope!
on 18 May 2015
Fantastic book, great recipes & will be a book I use repeatedly for tips and advice on health and diet and running.