on 24 January 2016
Phone faulty

I was shocked at the state of this phone when I got it. It did not work. The right and left hand of the keyboard failed to respond when I touched the keys. I had to keep pressing and pressing links to try and get them to respond, sometimes they worked, often they didn't. I was left with emails I couldn't send because the send key did not respond. I was quite alarmed that I had bought a dud phone for £199. I went into the Apple store with it. This is a copy of their report@

Thank you for visiting the Apple Store. Below is a copy of your service record.
Apple Store Covent Garden
06-Jan-16

020 7447 1400
Genius Bar Work Authorisation
Repair No: R180396771
Customer Information

Product Information
Ben Turner Warranty Status: Out of Warranty(OW)
Ripley Der DE5 3SS GBR Model: IPHONE 5S
Date of Purchase: 02-Oct-13
Serial No: C39L8NGZFFG8

Problem Description/Diagnosis

Customer having issues with iPhone 5s from Amazon.

After inspection of the phone the display looks faulty, with some missing backlights, customer to return handset
Resolution: Service Referral
Reason: Carrier

Employee 953986181

The Apple store said one way of knowing that the phone has been 'refurbished' with second rate parts is the very faint pink rectangle in the middle of the screen. It means that the screen is not up to Apple standard.
22 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2014
The iPhone 5S was delivered in a sealed box, well packed and it arrived when promised. The phone is as described in all the reviews, and was compatible with my O2 carrier. The sound system is better than previous phones I've owned and I'm more than happy with my choice.
on 11 May 2016
When I ordered this product I was sceptical due to the slow performance of my previous apple device but I was pleasantly surprised when I came across the 5s. The speed and performance of the 5s is superior to all predecessors and other phones on the market of similar specifications and comes with a friendly user experience. There has been times where signal has been the best but this is not the fault of the iPhone itself merely my provider. I have used this phone on a regular basis for over a year now and it has no visible scratch marks or signs of wear and tear. I would highly recommend this phone for all readers of this review.
on 4 June 2016
What can be said that has not already been said about the iPhone 5s? Hence, I won't try to review the features.

I am an Apple fan and have been for a very long time. However, I can't bring myself to pay the enormous prices of new kit. Hence, when looking at a phone to replace my aging Samsung, I saw the second hand ones. 3 months warranty and this particular one advertised as "used, very good" at a price I can bear to pay was enough to suck me in. The phone arrived quickly and was, indeed, in very good condition. Once in a case, you could not tell that it was second hand. I was a little concerned initially when I saw that the carrier shown in the settings was not my own carrier. The phone as advertised as unlocked to any network, so I did not expect to see any carrier showing. This caused me quite a bit of anxiety until I fitted my SIM and booted up the phone, at which point it recognised the SIM and attached to the network. I guess it just shows the last carrier that was used. I fully charged the phone and so far it is down to about 60% after 3 days. I don't use mobile data and I am quite "light" on usage, so this won't reflect what most people will get out of the battery. However, it tells me that the battery appears to be in good condition (which is always a bit of a worry since it is not easily replaceable).

Other than the above, all I really can say is "wow, I love it!". The gold colour also adds some elegance to the phone I think.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 December 2015
Attempting to review a device with the dizzying profile of the iPhone is oddly bemusing; it means different things to different people, and in the end, it depends what you want or expect to get out of it. To use it only as a phone is a bit like living in the Taj Mahal when all you really need is a tent. I've only had the iPhone for three days, and it's my first. This review will therefore be from a new-user's point of view and without reference to the competition. In other words, what it's like to live with an iPhone 5s.

The presentation of the phone, with its exquisite Zen-like packaging, builds the anticipation, until finally the waiting's over and there it is: looking and feeling like a bar of gold or precious metal, its solidity and weight are somehow reassuring. The harmony in the architectonics is a triumph of aesthetics, and that's without even switching it on. But before you do that, you'll be required to fit your nano sim card. Using the pin supplied, this requires the dexterity and sensitivity of a concert pianist matched with the optical facility of an eagle, but once done you're ready to fire it up.

If you already have other Apple devices you'll find your phone exchanging data straightaway, with your contacts, photos etc being ported over the airwaves. There's relatively little to do in the way of set-up as most of it appears to happen automatically. You can then personalise the phone even further, first with the famous finger-print. This involves (as does so much from now on) in going into Settings. Choose Touch ID and after rolling your digit around on the Home button, the sensor registers your details, and from then on opening up the screen is quick and easy, plus you can use it in the ITunes store. If you can't decide whether you'll be using your finger or your thumb then why not register both, and if you want to allow anyone else access to the phone then they can add their fingerprint too. An extra precaution of a numerical passcode is required to access your credit card information. Once set, this also transfers to other devices, meaning you never have to manually fill in an internet payment form again.

I have the 16GB model, and possibly some juggling might be required in deleting and later re-loading apps/photos/downloaded songs on Spotify, but that doesn't look as though it'll be a problem for some time, as at the moment there's 11GB free. What might be an issue however is data allowance from your provider; I seem to have got through 100MB already, and that's only in a couple of days. It might be best then to choose a contract with an unlimited data allowance if you are going to want to make the most of the iPhone's entertainment value.

Navigating around the phone is intuitive enough, the Home button being the key to changing between apps. Double-click this and it will bring up all of your open applications, which is often a clearer way of orienting yourself. A swipe upwards reveals the torch (which is very powerful), the calculator, the timer and camera, as well as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do Not Disturb shortcuts, plus your music player. A downward swipe within an app displays your schedule. A downward swipe on the Homescreen brings up the search facility, which can be used with confidence. Siri, the slightly surreal footman character can be activated by bringing the phone up to your ear. Using its mystifying powers, Siri can then find the way to the nearest Tandoori or be grilled for the sum of 4.3339 + 2.7, its seemingly inexhaustible knowledge providing hours of amusement. If Siri can't solve your problem directly it'll find references on the web which should provide you with an answer.

YouTube and iPlayer are rendered in a crystalline clarity and the dimensions of the 5s give a panoramic quality to the theatre. The sound is remarkably full, and the earphones supplied seem excellent. Photos are catalogued in Years, drilling down to Collections and then Moments which sounds overly complicated but is actually coherent in use and quick to comprehend. The quality as you'd expect, is uniformly excellent and the new flash arrangement leads to an enhanced quality in poor light.

From then on the sky really does seem to be the limit, with apps for just about every conceivable occasion. In short, the iPhone is a device which you possibly never knew you needed, but once you've lived with it for a few hours, it's hard to imagine life without.
22 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
THE PHONE IS BLACK LISTED AND BLOCKED TO ALL NETWORKS AND I ORDERED A SILVER ONE BUT I RECEIVED A GOLD ONE INSTEAD
on 2 August 2014
Complete con do not buy. As soon as they have your money they will report the phone as lost and it will be locked and of no use to you. DO NOT BUY. KEEP YOUR MONEY.
on 18 August 2014
This model A1530 is not sell for England and it's selling for countries in Asia, some of phone features might not meet u.
on 14 December 2014
Was not as described. No warranty as it has a third party battery. Rip off. Sending it back for a refund. Battery does not cahrge properly.
on 17 December 2015