on 21 December 2016
I presume all of you are already familiar with this album and know just how good it is , if not , well it is a prog rock classic , ELP at their peak . I already owned this album on vinyl so should I have bought it again ? The answer is YES The remastered original album is amazing sonically , I hear sounds I never heard on the original release , and the other CD featuring alternate mixes and the B sides too are well worth having . So yes give yourself a treat, we will never hear another band like ELP, no band sounded like them or will again , RIP Keith and Greg .
5 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2018
I coudn't make my mind up what to buy, a oringinal 1973 Brain Salad Surgery used vinyl or the 2014 new disk, I opted for a the new disk ( big mistake ) it sounds awfull. Firstly the disk is warped slightly, I can live with that, but who ever mixed side one, what a terible sound, when you get a quiet part on the lp you cant hear it, then when the music gets heavy it comes booming in, realy loud, its awfull. I have top of the range vintage audio equipment and its the worst LP I have ever heard, Im going to stick to vintage second hand vinyls from now on. I also bought brand new The best of Fleetwood Mac and thats rubbish quality as well. Its all down to who ever does the sound mixing, No I wouldnt recomend buying the vinyl buy the cd version its cheaper, but thats got bad reviews as well, but wont hurt your pocket as much thou.
on 29 May 2014
A review for 2014 super deluxe edition...

There's a feeling almost like sloppiness to this new edition of one of ELP's Classic albums. While some elements are ok, others not so and it's the new inclusions that feel like they've been added at the last minute. The packaging is let down by not reproducing the original diecut sleeve for the album and the 2014 remixes are a farce (especially the new 5.1 ). Thankfully I did not buy this set solely for the new mixes, if I had I would be very disappointed. All this money for a vinyl copy of the album and two previously unreleased tracks has left my bank balance lower with not much to show for it. Even some of the pack-ins feel like they've been added to this edition at the last minute, especially the documentary DVD which doesn't even form part of the main set, it's in a separate card sleeve floating around inside with the record. Don't waste your money on this overpriced so called super deluxe set. Buy the 2008 SACD edition "Brain Salad Surgery", if you can find it for a reasonable price. The original album is a five star tour de force, this 2014 repackage is embarrassing and pointless.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2014
The review by the first reviewer is incorrect. A big disappointment, this album does not contain a DVD-A with a 5.1 mix - only stereo options. Supposedly the Super Deluxe Edition contains a multi-channel audio option, but for whatever reason well beyond my belief, this Deluxe Edition does not. It has 2 CDs, and a DVD-A which has the original stereo mix, and a 2014 stereo mix. Having listened to it a couple of times, I am beginning to think that the original 2000 DVD-A does a better job. Something is missing from the Jakko Jakksyk new stereo mix. Would the 5.1 version sound better? If only I knew!
5 people found this helpful
on 19 September 2012
I bought this for the theme music from "Creature Double Feature"...which is the track "Toccata" from this album. Bonus, "Karn Evil 9 1st Impresession Part 2" is on here too. That's the track that begins with the lyrics "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"...etc...'you gotta see the show, it's rock n roll'. Yeah, that one.

Yikes, I thought I knew what 'prog rock' was...nope! I only thought I did. Floyd, Gabriel, Marillion, Queensryche all have some 'prog' to greater or lesser amounts. ELP must be 'heavy prog'. Make that 'Pro-Progressive Prometheus Proto-Prog Rock': ricocheting off itself like a formula one pinball machine.
More skillfull than a typing pool.
More expertly timed than a kung fu movie.
Madder than a drama class.
Intergalactically egotistical.

Well, I got two tracks I wanted, and I'm suitably challenged by the rest.

This 2011 cd from Legacy Sony plays lovvverly, and is smartly packaged (nice booklet).

However, I'm backing away very slowly from these guys.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 July 2010
One of the defining prog rock classics and the moment ELP found the perfect chemistry as a band that they never quite captured again. Interestingly out of all their albums this has the most electric guitar on it proving that to truly rock you need a decent slice of distorted guitar! On too many of thier albums there is a lack of cohesive chemistry , whereas here they gel briliantly throughout. We get a hymn, a honky tonk comedy workout, a ballad, jazz, rock and I have no idea how to describe Tocatta!! The album cover so captures the mood of this album which even 40 years later still sounds like it's from a terrifying future. Karn Evil 9 really is a masterpiece of rock music with the now legendary "welcome back my friends to the show that never ends" introducing us to a "carnival show" of the future. If I have a criticism it's that there is a lack of warmth to the record compared to something like Trilogy, in fact it's a pretty scary listening experience throughout, even the lovely ballad "Still..." get's interrupted by a heavy wah wah guitar in the choruses! The other irritant for me is KE9 2nd impression which starts off great in an Oscar Perterson style but then drifts into a rather dull middle section and a dreadful steel drum bit. Minor quips though when looking at the whole and really an essential purchase for anyone discovering ELP beyond Fanfare for the Common Man.
on 23 September 2010
Only one of the disks is SACD, the third one. This means if you have an SACD player it comes to you in DSD format as well as PCM of normal CD's.Therefore the dynamic range is increased to 120 dB and frequency response increased to over 70 kHz.With much higher oversampling, this is far in advance of the normal PCM format only, of a standard CD. What I'm saying is that this CD/SACD set of three gives you one disc in SACD all for around £12.00 with free postage. I had the player, a SonySCD-XE597 and wanted to try SACD format to see how it went with Valve KT88 class A amplification. Some SACD disks retail for in excess of £80, example Pete Tosh Legalise It, so this is very cheap but Awesome in sound. I am very impressed, enough to seek out more SACD disks but understandably the majority are in classical music. I recorded Brain Salad Surgery back in 1973 so it required updating and I'm very glad I purchased this.Hope there are more classics of this genre made available but reggae is rare, My next SACD is likely to be Tommy, the Who.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2018
Love this album, if you don't own it already, I highly suggest that you buy it now!
on 3 February 2018
Very happy with my purchase
on 2 May 2018
I liked the idea of the two discs, the second of which contains alternate versions of the songs on disc one and also contains the b side of the original single.