Customer reviews

Last Passenger (Blu-Ray)
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 10 April 2014
A really refreshing and clever thriller set on a train.

I say refreshing as the film was not packed with special effects. I've recently viewed "Man of Steel" which, I admit, was a half decent film. However, it was packed with graphics which made the film spectacular but also took up quite a bit of time. I felt that the viewer was not permitted to use his grey cells ... the story was there in front of you and that was that.

"Last Passenger" was totally different and the kind of thriller I like. A group of people stuck in a hopeless and dangerous situation with no hope of getting out of unless one of them comes up with an idea. This leaves the viewer thinking as well as wondering what is going to happen next. Yes there are some special effects that give impetus to the movie, but in the main the "Last Passenger" keeps the viewer guessing ... definitely my kind of stuff.

"Last Passenger" has a good script and was well acted out by those concerned. Recommended for the thriller lover.
on 11 November 2013
Dr. Lewis Shaler (Dougray Scott) is riding a late night London train with his seven year old son Max (Joshua Kaynama) Max is a bit rambunctious and through him he meets another passenger, the flirty Sarah (Kara Tointon). We get to know these characters as we watch others, especially a disagreeable young man (Iddo Goldberg) who catches everyone's attention. Soon the train has a problem which demands the remaining passengers take action. We then get to meet two elderly passengers (David Schofield, Elaine Middleton).

The passengers work together to confront the problem. We get to see character testing, character building, and some heroics. The acting was good. The plot and action was enough to hold my attention, but not enough to get excited over. Most films of this type have a subplot consisting of events that are taking place outside the train. This one does not. This is more of a concept film that keeps the viewer on the train.

A film you will forget shortly after you watch it.

Parental Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity. 3 1/2 STARS
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 January 2014
The cramped confines of a london commuter train provide an intimate setting for this tense little thriller. Dougray Scott plays the "everyman hero" whose forced into action when a late night journey takes a turn for the worse. Familiar plot devices pepper the thrills as Scott and the motley group of passengers try to change their fate; there's little new here but it's done rather well and I found some genuine excitement to be had when the cast were hanging off fast moving trains in the dead of night. Speaking of cast, Kara Tointon manages to shine in a role that could've had her relegated to basic love interest and Josh Kaynama has schmalts free scripting as Scott's young son. The absence of blockbuster finance doesn't hinder things and there's a particularly good effect when the train crashes into a car. The script doesn't wander about too much and tension mounts towards a satisfyingly explosive conclusion. Maybe I wasn't expecting much, although the reviews had been encouraging; I happily bought into this surprisingly suspenseful movie.
on 1 March 2014
I saw this film gracing the shelves when I was out shopping and looked it up not sure what to make of it but I tend to have a habit of just buying a film because I liked the sound of it.

Quite frankly I didn't like this film...I LOVED this film!

Acting was delivered just right, the suspense was everything you needed & finally not knowing why the mysterious villain was doing this was a stroke of brilliance.

This film will be re-watched by me again & again for many years to come. I'll be damned if I ever try to sell this because I would be stupid to do so!
on 18 June 2017
I have to be honest in saying this film was slightly disappointing for me. It doesn't seem to quite gel together. There are some funny moments, total stupidity moments and some good dialogue. I purchased this film as it is primarily based on the underground; there is very good photography and video of the underground train system. If you are looking for a front view cab position of what it is like to drive a tube train then this film doesn't disappoint in that department.
on 18 November 2013
Excitingly paced enjoyable film, with believable characters - who you do end up rooting for. I personally jumped a few times; sign of a good action thriller! Nice to see this quality of film being made in Britain.
on 14 October 2014
I enjoyed this film. Dougrey Scott is one of my favourite actors as well which was an added bonus.
on 18 February 2016
It takes a long time to crank up, about half-an-hour to ' build character'. It's not war and peace, it's a suspense thriller, we need to get to the action as fast as possible! Once it gets going it is a very good little thriller, made on a shoestring budget apparently. Dougray Scott is as always eminently watchable, Kara Tointon is quite good, if a bit wooden. The kid is almost, I say almost, as nauseating as a lot of american child actors, he fortunately stops just short of having to reach for the sick bag. As it's set on a slam door train, it's a bit of a stretch as they've been almost entirely phased out. Special effects are very good, of note a car getting smashed and a sequence of events with the runaway train on fire.
on 5 June 2014
This film is rather unusual as Brit films go, its generally fast moving and without distracting sub plots, easy to follow. Okay, it lacks the polish of a Hollywood blockbuster but I feel thats part of its appeal. The plot is relatively simple being about a small group of very assorted passengers on an evening London commuter train heading though Kent and Sussex with a maniac in the driving seat!
From a reality point of view it is full of holes! The story is supposed to take place in 2004 but the tatty coaches in service are ancient slam door type and, oddly, can be opened from the inside! No mainline railway in the UK would be using such old stock on commuter routes today! Also, the braking system failsafe using vacuum does not work as it should and the diesel loco pulling the coaches should be an electric unit. Whoever did the research into this film should be shot! Another strange thing is the way that the the diesel fuel ignited so readily along the loco, near the end; petrol yes but never diesel!
However, despite these little niggles I found the film very entertaining and worth the viewing!
on 3 September 2016
A really good British thriller. . Great suspense that didn't need loads of special effects. Well recommended/