on 18 January 2013
A female lawyer takes on a case for a death row inmate, 5 weeks before his execution date. The inmate has always maintained his innocence and the lawyer grows to believe him. He maintains that he didn't kill his own child, however his wife gave a statement to say that he did.
The book is so well written that to begin with this dilemma intrigued me and I was desperate to find out how this could be but as the events unfolded, I also found myself wanting him to be innocent.
The book covers some very difficult issues- death row, child murder, parental love but it does it sensitively enough to leave you wondering what you would do.........
on 12 March 2013
Not the first storey I have read around the theme of an innocent man about to be executed, but aside from that basic story line all the twists and turns were new and Ms Green has created a book which held my attention and kept me turning the pages well past midnight! This would appear to be her first book, and I very much look forward to read more from her pen. I downloaded this as a freebee, but be assured it is well worth paying for!
on 19 October 2013
I have just discovered this author and I really enjoyed the book, I will not go into too much detail as I don't want to spoil for others but if you like courtroom and criminal investigations then this is for you.
Looking forward to the next book
on 11 September 2013
This book drew me in from the first page. It was skillfully put together and it felt as though the author had first hand knowledge of working in the American judicial system. The twists and turns in the story were very effective and kept me turning the page. I believed in the characters totally. I'll be looking out for more by Marti Green.
on 27 July 2014
George Calhoun is on Death Row awaiting a lethal injection for the murder of his little girl 19 years ago. He has always claimed that the burned body found in the woods was not his daughter. His wife, however, confirmed that it was.

Dani Trumball, formerly a lawyer, now working for the Help Innocent Prisoners Project, takes on his case and with the aid of her carefully chosen team of two, attempts to clear his name - no mean feat. We have trials and tribulations galore along the way and it makes for quite engrossing reading. There is no certainty as to the outcome. It is different. Yet again, we have the "do-gooder" with a child who suffers from a rare illness, this time Williams Syndrome. I seem to be coming across quite a variety of these lately. It does not detract from the main story nor does it embellish it.

The book touches on a variety of subject along the way which are quite informative. It was well researched and well written.
on 3 September 2013
"I sure hope you can help me because they are going to kill me soon, and maybe I deserve to die, but it's not because I killed my little girl"

Six weeks before his execution George Calhoun writes to The Help Innocent Prisoners Project and his letter haunts lawyer Dani Trumball. If George didn't kill his daughter, whose's remains were found in the woods? And what happened to his daughter, Angelina? Why does he think he may deserve to die?

This book is an excellent read, a real page turner. If the final chapters of the book hadn't come across to me as rushed and in need of a re-edit I would happily have given 5 stars. Unfortunately the change in narrative progression was distinct enough to require adjustment at a time when I wanted to stay riveted to this excellent story.
on 3 November 2013
Such a heart felt story couldn't put it down loved it worth the read. Amazing story kept me on the edge all the time
on 13 September 2013
I read three chapters, but only because it was late at night and I didn't want to start anything else. You can see an interesting tale in here somewhere, but with so much digression, lack of focus and irrelevant side detail that it quickly becomes not worth the effort. Yes, break your narrative up, but choose your points. If a good editor picks this up and uses pruning shears perhaps a good novel will emerge. Sorry.
on 20 August 2014
I read a lot of books and I only recommend great books. This story is really gripping, you will not be able to put it down. I have already put the next stand alone book on my wish list for when it is released in November.
on 28 May 2015
Dani Trumball work's for the Help Innocent Prisoners Project
and decides to take on a case concerning an alleged child killer who is accused along with his wife of killing his daughter. He claims the body found was not his daughter's.
I found their sacrifice a little unbelievable but the investigation is intriguing.
The story for me was spoilt by unnecessary domestic infill such has who had what for dinner etc. I found this annoying in several places.
Story passable and page turner at the end.