on 18 September 2013
This gets thicker and thicker as the number of good pubs increases. It's even getting too big for the glove compartment. What makes a good pub? Opinions will vary but most of the recommendations seem sound, in one way or another. For some it's all about the ale and the craic, for others the food and for others the family. There are some in here that I've tried and wouldn't go back to for a variety of reasons. There are others that ive tried and will go back to. However, the descriptions are generally honest and allow you to make up your mind whether it's your sort of pub or not. A must have for the thinking, drinking British traveller. The App is not too easy to use (in my opinion) so buy the book.
on 19 September 2013
This has been one of my references for finding a good pub for many years. When you are travelling to a part of the country you don't know well, or have never previously visited, it can be invaluable. Now running at 1,100 pages it is formidable amount of information at a fair and reasonable price.

It is hard to go along with suggestions that the CAMRA Good Beer Guide might do a better job - it fulfils a different purpose. While I want to find a decent range of real ales, my other half wants to know that there are some good wines on offer too. And as for 'paid entries' , for as long as they are counterbalanced with independent opinions as well, what's your problem? Or would you rather pay the considerably greater full cost of researching and preparing a guide like the GPG? Of course you wouldn't.

If the annual guide has a shortcoming it is that things can and do change - from opening times, to menus and chefs. So, if you can, check the pub website too - and enjoy your trip to a great British institution, whether to a 'main entry' or to a pub included as 'worth a visit'. You will find many excellent pubs in those later sections that have been recommended for years and for all of the right reasons for eaters and drinkers alike.
on 1 September 2014
Very useful especially when travelling/planning where to go. Visited some great pubs....
Although we have had a couple of disappointments 'dining pubs of the year' where they've tried to mix too many strong flavours together; one even put cucumber slices in our jug of water... after a short time - that's really horrible!
Sometimes it's not too easy to find an entry especially if your geographical knowledge of the county boundaries is poor! Perhaps some sort of index, or colour-shading on the maps could help here?
Probably need two copies; one for in the car and one indoors!
on 6 April 2014
Pleased they have maintained the move back to county sections, rather than the random geographical areas they changed to a couple of years ago, but still feel that charging a fee for entries has taken away some of the previous integrity, where merit was the qualification for entry. Some good hostelries still appear to be relegated to the back section, when their standards and quality merit them being in the front section. Disappointed that the change to black and white maps from the previous 4 colour maps has not been reversed.
on 23 October 2013
This pub guide seems very good but we've not yet had a chance to use it much as we haven't travelled in the UK since buying it. The local pub it recommends is already our favourite eating place so I'm sure it will be good. But pubs are closing down and changing ownership so frequently these guides can soon be out of date, so its always best to check the info is up to date.....
on 5 August 2014
I bought this in order to discover good pubs in the surrounding areas of my town. I find the descriptions of furniture a little over descriptive, filler almost. Some of the pubs it lists I have been to previously & I know have recently (early 2013) had new owners, so are not the great pub they once were, so it seems strange they would still be in there. I guess one mans good pub is another mans idea of hell :-)
on 14 January 2014
I have used this book on numerous occasions to find good real ale pubs. Being an enthusiastic real ale drinker I have found this book irreplaceable. The descriptions are truthful and bang up to date! What I really like about this book is that it's reviewed by real people of similar interests.
on 10 April 2014
I had trouble with your web-site. I was trying to purchase the hard copy but got totally confused trying to find out what the postage and packing costs were - then i suddenly found that i had ordered the kindle edition by mistake. Couldn't find out how to reverse it so decided to give the Kindle edition a try. We do not find it convenient at all. Discovered a few days ago when I was having trouble downloading a book from your offers that I could have cancelled the Kindle edition within 7 days of purchase but by then it was too late.
on 6 February 2014
Always keep copy of this excellent guide in the car when travelling. Have found some really excellent pubs with food on our travels. Buy an updated copy every couple of years.
on 12 February 2014
I bought this for my parents as they have breaks away with friends throughout the year and I thought it would be a good reference guide for places to stay and eat. As usual, its full of reviews and is easy to read. Would recommend.