on 19 January 2014
Looking through the Cross is the Archbishop of Canterbury's Lent Book for 2014. In the introduction Graham Tomlin writes, `This book is an act of two kinds of looking - looking at and looking through'. In the first two chapters he looks at the cross, first, as the place where God's wisdom is revealed in apparent foolishness and, second, where God heals the wound at the heart of creation through an unfathomable act of self-emptying love. The rest of the book is a series of meditations on how our vision might be enlarged as we look through `the lens of the cross' and begin to look at the world with fresh eyes. He explores how the cross affects our perceptions of power, identity, suffering, ambition, failure and reconciliation. The final chapter looks at the significance of our lives in light of the cross and resurrection of Christ.
Tomlin is a very clear writer who weaves together insights from a vast array of sources in order to shed light on the implications of the cross for Christians. He draws on the bible, history, theology, literature and current affairs with a real lightness of touch that does justice to the subject and encourages the reader to take the risk of engaging more deeply Jesus' call to take up our own cross and follow him.
on 3 March 2014
Very well written and cogently argued. Have read it in the run-up to Lent and it has given me some clear ideas about how to focus on some important aspects of my life and faith in this season.

I read it as an e-book and it has been sloppily proof-read somewhere along the line. At points it seemed there was a typo on almost every other page.

Despite this, a really stimulating read.
on 5 February 2014
This is a thoroughly enjoyable and thought-provoking read. It will make you marvel again at how amazing the cross of Christ is and the many ways in which our lives can be transformed by the work of Christ.
on 20 June 2014
I was attracted to the cover of the book because it is an image of Christ crucified that leaves much to the imagination; like a modern day stained glass window. It seems most appropriate to the title of the book, and definitely helped me to 'look through the lens of the cross'. The introduction highlights the difference between 'looking' and 'seeing' and talks of 'reflection in a mirror' and 'looking through something', and 'through the lens of the cross'. To me these words alone led me to expect quotations and references to St Clare of Assisi's 'mirror mysticism' and her letters to Agnes of Prague. However, this was not to be, but it did not detract from the excitement of the book, which was difficult to put down.
Although the book was intended for Lent study 2014, it is deffinitely a book of all seasons, a book that can be, and should be read any time, and again and again. It can also be dipped into as needed. Tomlin has done a great job.
I strongly recommend the book.
on 10 May 2014
The Lent books I've read before either have a session a day or a long session a week. This book broke away from that concept, which at first I liked but then decided was a flaw. i wanted to read it throughout Lent and I couldn't work out how much to read each day. I didn't finish it. There are some very good ideas in it so perhaps I will try again next year.
on 22 February 2014
would appeal to anyone who thinks about Christianity on an intellectual as well as spiritual level. good any time of year.
on 24 April 2014
Graham writes for students and anyone wanting a honest look at the significance of Jesus and the cross and resurrection today. A challenging book on Christian life style, living the life of a servant, book full of assurance on forgiveness and life with Christ through faith in Jesus paving the path for all to know him as friend and Saviour.
on 15 March 2014
It's been a few years since I found time to read a "Lent Book" in Lent! This one is endorsed by the new Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and does not disappoint. Tomlin refrains from rambling but makes interesting links with topical events or common knowledge.
on 17 May 2014
this is a great book, not in any simplistic praise, but as a real tribute to the author, and to the contents - I found this a tremendous inspiration during Lent, and shall keep it to re-read in the future.
on 4 April 2014
An easy to read, thought-provoking book.Just what I needed to remind me of the importance of the cross from every aspect in my Christian life. Both comforting and challenging. I would recommend this to anyone who longs to deepen their faith and discover more of the depth of the love of God.