on 20 June 2014
I was attracted to the cover of the book because it is an image of Christ crucified that leaves much to the imagination; like a modern day stained glass window. It seems most appropriate to the title of the book, and definitely helped me to 'look through the lens of the cross'. The introduction highlights the difference between 'looking' and 'seeing' and talks of 'reflection in a mirror' and 'looking through something', and 'through the lens of the cross'. To me these words alone led me to expect quotations and references to St Clare of Assisi's 'mirror mysticism' and her letters to Agnes of Prague. However, this was not to be, but it did not detract from the excitement of the book, which was difficult to put down.
Although the book was intended for Lent study 2014, it is deffinitely a book of all seasons, a book that can be, and should be read any time, and again and again. It can also be dipped into as needed. Tomlin has done a great job.
I strongly recommend the book.
One person found this helpful
on 10 May 2014
The Lent books I've read before either have a session a day or a long session a week. This book broke away from that concept, which at first I liked but then decided was a flaw. i wanted to read it throughout Lent and I couldn't work out how much to read each day. I didn't finish it. There are some very good ideas in it so perhaps I will try again next year.
One person found this helpful
on 3 March 2014
Very well written and cogently argued. Have read it in the run-up to Lent and it has given me some clear ideas about how to focus on some important aspects of my life and faith in this season.

I read it as an e-book and it has been sloppily proof-read somewhere along the line. At points it seemed there was a typo on almost every other page.

Despite this, a really stimulating read.
5 people found this helpful
on 24 April 2014
Graham writes for students and anyone wanting a honest look at the significance of Jesus and the cross and resurrection today. A challenging book on Christian life style, living the life of a servant, book full of assurance on forgiveness and life with Christ through faith in Jesus paving the path for all to know him as friend and Saviour.
on 15 March 2014
It's been a few years since I found time to read a "Lent Book" in Lent! This one is endorsed by the new Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and does not disappoint. Tomlin refrains from rambling but makes interesting links with topical events or common knowledge.
on 5 April 2014
I bought this as a lenten 'read' - as a kind of duty. However, from the very start, I was gripped. It is not a difficult text to follow, is written in a lively and understanding way. It has inspired me to read more theology and to look at the crucifixion in a new way.
on 17 May 2014
this is a great book, not in any simplistic praise, but as a real tribute to the author, and to the contents - I found this a tremendous inspiration during Lent, and shall keep it to re-read in the future.
on 23 April 2014
The key themes of Easter: suffering, death and resurrection - are all examined in the light of contemporary (including anti-Christian) thought and writing.

The book is loyal to its stated objective of looking at life through the cross - i.e our sharing in both the crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ - and uses this insight to unpack some of Paul's richest and most stirring writing.

I would agree with others' comments that the kindle version needs to be proof read and corrected.
on 4 April 2014
An easy to read, thought-provoking book.Just what I needed to remind me of the importance of the cross from every aspect in my Christian life. Both comforting and challenging. I would recommend this to anyone who longs to deepen their faith and discover more of the depth of the love of God.
on 19 April 2014
Looking through the Cross presents an assessment of how a Christian's perspective on failure, suffering and dealing with evil can be balanced with reconciliation and having life more abundantly, especially when the motivation for Jesus's crucifixion was God's love for our inadequacies. Well researched and clearly written. There is a wonderfully up-beat final chapter which underlines Christ's promise that death ends in life - not the other way round.