on 15 January 2013
Springsteen, U2, CSN, Simon & Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder et al.
If this concert doesn't float your boat you're seriously water-holed.
Having listened to all 4 CDs I can't make my mind up which is best. They all seem to offer something, and this from a Bruce Springsteen fan!
Cd 1 focuses on CSN & guests, followed by Paul Simon then Simon & Garfunkel who sound as good as I've ever heard them.
Stevie Wonder closes Cd1 & opens Cd2 wherin the Boss takes over. Highlight of the set is The Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello(Rage Against the Machine/ Audioslave), absolutely awesome.
CD3 is Metallica & guests which I really enjoyed although not a Metallica fan.
And finally Cd4 which is basically a U2 live set plus guests.
I think what makes this collection special is the interaction between the big names & their guests. Everyone genuinely seems to be enjoying themselves.
Despite the cost it's worth every penny.
on 14 December 2011
When I bought this CD box set, saw the artist line up and I was immediately enchanted by the names of Crosby Stills & Nash, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Sting, Jeff Beck, Billy Joel or even John Legend (names that I am very fond of), that I wouldn't see other names whose music I don't like at all such as Bruce Springsteen, Lou Reed, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, U2 or Mick Jagger.
Let's see, in my opinion:
-DISC 1 is very good, with CS&N (I'm glad N.Young is not there), J.Taylor, P.Simon, B.Raitt, J.Browne, S.Wonder;
-DISC 2 has too much Bruce Springsteen (which is a pity!), although we have some good vibes here with S.Wonder, Sting, B.Joel;
-DISC 3 is worth the few tracks with Jeff Beck and specially Sting, the rest is pure rubbish (Metallica, O.Osbourne, L.Reed);
-DISC 4 is U2 all over, unfortunately, and again B.Springsteen (we've had enough of him!), Patti Smith, Black Eyed Peas, M.Jagger. Too bad to be true, I don't even want to listen to this one...
Conclusion: for my musical taste this box set is a great disappointment, not worth it, more than half of it is NO GOOD. I'm sorry, that's my opinion. I suppose it is a great buy for Bruce Springsteen and U2 fans, mainly. Maybe for Metallica fans too. Not for me, thanks!
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2014