on 8 April 2014
Once I received this book I couldn't put it down, took me just a day to read. It was so well written that I could really simpathize with Terrie & Paul Duckett as my childhood was very similar. The only thing that I couldn't really understand fully was why you forgave your mum, I can understand that she was controlled & made to believe certain things but I cannot get my head around why she let certain things happen..

My mother is very similar to your mother. I think the only thing that may be different is that your mother cared for you & worked hard to provide for you even though he took that that away, she even tried to stop things happening which my mother never did, nor did she work, she let my step father take over completely. So in that sense I can understand why you forgave her but some things I just can't.

I would be interested in asking you that question as it has made me try to think from my mothers prospective but still I'm not sure if I could forgive her.

You are an inperasion & very brave. You both have done so well to get where you are today. I wish you all the luck in the world.

My email is ilovetrina@hotmail.co.uk I would be really interested in taking with you.
on 20 April 2014
Although this book made very difficult reading, I just couldn't put it down.
How those children managed to come out of the other side of this dreadful abuse is astounding.
I can't believe they we're let down so many times by those who knew something was not right
But never followed it through.
How another human can do those depraved things to children just disgusts me.
Terrie and Paul, feel very proud of yourselves. You never let that monster win in the end did you?
You showed you were both better than him.
Very best wishes for the future, you both deserve so much happiness.
on 16 April 2014
Just finished reading the most harrowing book of Child Abuse ever.......Even after all my years of working with Children, my eyes were opened to far worse abuse than just physical abuse, which I would never have even dreamed of in my worst dreams............being made to stand to attention for hours on end is just one example. Yet through all those years of physical, sexual and emotional abuse, these two brave children grew into very successful adults, now running several businesses. Terrie and Paul Duckett........ I admire your courage and determination in the face of adversity.......................you are truely an inspiration and I wish you both a good future.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 June 2016
Reading this book I could feel the pain and anguish that both terrie and paul went through as if there and experiencing it for myself. It was such an emotional read but very well written. Both terrie and Paul are such amazing people, especially having to live through what they had to each day.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone to read.
Well done to terrie and Paul for being the strong people they are today x
on 22 March 2018
What a truly harrowing account of abuse. I was left moved and utterly disgusted by their stepdad. A very well written book and one I will never forget. After reading this book I will never ever overlook something I may think is slightly odd or alarming at someone else’s home like so many did to you. Thank you Terrie and Paul for sharing your story.
on 13 March 2015
This was the saddest most gripping and shocking book I have ever read. It was written beautifully and you really feel the pain of those two resilient children. It is amazing that they have turned out as well adjusted as they seem to have. If you like true stories and don't mind shocks at every turn this is a very good read it is shocking and very hard reading in some pages but I couldn't put it down .
on 20 April 2014
What a well written book based on a true story and written by Terri one of the two people so badly abused, i couldnt put the book down, but my heart went out to them both for the ordeal they suffered for years by that man, men like those need to be exposed and well done to Terri for doing so xx
on 18 April 2014
First of all I cannot understand how this mother could let this man rule her kids with such power and the abuse these two kids suffered at the hands of such a twisted sadistic pervert!! Such a sad story...she knew and saw a lot of the abuse and as a mother I just cannot take it in that she didn't stop at least some of it as she wasn't always working...I basically couldn't put this book down as I kept turning the pages with the hope of some respite for them.the way this brother and sister helped one another through this dreadful ordeal was amazing... I had such a wonderful childhood so this just seems unbelievable...I wish them both a better life now.
on 3 April 2014
Couldn't put this book down. Read it start to finish, I can relate to both Terrie & Paul's suffering as I myself was punishing severely as a child. How wonderful to hear now that they are both thriving with the past firmly behind them. I hope & pray they go from strength to strength.
on 6 January 2017
Very moving account written by brother and sister detailing their unhappy childhood and abuse by their stepfather. The case went to court when they were adults and the stepfather was found guilty.