on 3 October 2015
An EP that precedes Within Temptation's 2014 "Hydra" album,"Paradise (What About Us?)" has, for starters, the merit of
gathering in the same song my favourite queens of contemporary gothic/symphonic metal, namely Finnish Tarja Turunen and
Dutch Sharon den Adel. In the track "Paradise (What About Us?)" that gathering takes place, and, what a duet!

For those that acquired "Paradise (What About Us?)" in a timely fashion, meaning back in 2013, it surely served as a
teaser for the then unreleased "Hydra". However, for those like me that got it after "Hydra", there's still some novelty,
though. That novelty lies not in the leading "Paradise...." duet song but on the remaining three tracks. They consist
of demos of "Let Us Burn", "Silver Moonlight" and "Dog Days", tracks that would later on appear included in "Hydra's"
tracklist. As demos, they differ when compared to the final studio versions that were released in 2014. For these tracks,
late buyers such as myself end up with two versions. Not bad!

Finally, let me highlight the musical joint venture that this EP, in that single track, stands for. It's an experiment
that succeeded across the board! A win-win situation for both queens, the band itself, and last but not least the fan
of course!

Four stars, because both Tarja and Sharon still have a lot to offer and therefore much room left to excel from!
on 27 September 2013
On first listening, I'm impressed. I've been looking forward to this coming out after hearing the preview a few weeks ago, and I don't feel I've been let down. In fact, quite the opposite. After being more than disappointed with The Unforgiving (Which I initially hated, although think it's quite good now) listening to Paradise made me think that this album's going to be a lot better than the last (or at least, I'm going to like it a lot more). I thought the music was strong and the lyrics were interesting, and like some of Within temptation's old songs it requires a bit of thought. I think Tarja was a bit underused on Paradise, though.
The other three songs were enjoyable, too, and not much below album-quality. Maybe it's just the fact that they're demo-versions, but it felt like they were missing something. I didn't feel any real kick from them like I did with What Have You Done and Frozen for example, but then I'm almost 7 years grumpier so maybe that has something to do with it. Dog Days was my least favourite because I thought the lyrics were a bit too simple and repetitive, but other than that this EP's all good and more than worth 1.99, especially if you want to hear what feels like the beginning of a return to what I loved about them in the first place. I'm looking forward to hearing the final versions, and to seeing them in Helsinki in February.
on 23 June 2016
I am very pleased with C D & I think the (What About Us) track is Brilliant
on 27 September 2013
Sharon has one of the best female voices in music, and Tarja's voice compliments hers brilliantly. This is one of the best songs Within Temptation have done. For me this is up there with Angels, Utopia and All I need.. thank you WT....
on 14 October 2013
What a stunning collaboration, tow of the finest female rock vocalists out there combining on a great song. I hope the Album's as good.
on 2 April 2016
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 September 2014
The demo extra's are better than the album versions so buy this if you are short of cash and can't afford the album lol.
on 21 December 2014
good live verison's
on 6 September 2015
two of the best females voice in the world on the same song - what more can i say
on 19 November 2013
What's not to like?
Within Temptation with Tarja!
Eagerly awaiting the new album.
If you like symphonic metal you'll like this!