on 20 October 2013
What a brilliant, sublime paradox this album is. Having been a teenager of the 80's this album revives some fantastic memories of bands like Ultravox, Depeche Mode, A-ha, Yazoo, and many others with it's screaming synths, electronic beats and great songwriting. But to purely tag this music as 80's revivalism would be doing Chvrches a huge injustice. What Bones has done is transport electronic music into the future with it's attitude and edginess. Then we come to Lauren Mayberry...what a stunning voice! Not since Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays) have I heard such a voice that can sound so vulnerable and fragile yet strong and forceful all in the same note (that beautiful Scottish lilt is a big contributing factor)! In fact although on one level Chvrches electric synth sound it completely different to the jangly guitars of The Sundays to me there are some striking similarities and I have to say Chvrches are probably the only band I would trust to do a decent cover of a Sundays song...Lauren if you're reading this - please give it some thought! Being a bloke in his mid 40's I thought my days of listening to new, 'relevant' music were over. Thank you Lauren and the boys for restoring my faith in and enthusiasm for modern British music.
I picked this CD up (the standard 12 track edition) after watching Chvrches set at Glastonbury, though I already knew about them from items in the music press.

This is one very impressive debut; the balance between the inspired electronica and Lauren Mayberry`s light, slightly accented voice makes for an immediately appealing sound.
Synthesiser-based bands have in the past been accused of coldness - that doesn't happen here; the soundscape is well-realised - varied songs, melodically and rhythmically attractive - any chill in the sound countered by the humanity of Mayberry`s clear-sounding vocals. Her butter-wouldn`t-melt delivery of lyrics which belie the innocence of her voice (on "Gun" for example) is the killer asset - and those tunes don't half get into your head!
The two tracks which feature the male vocals shouldn't be dismissed too lightly either; the melancholic "You Caught the Light" has a beauty all of its own - but I'm in agreement with just about everyone else on this page, Mayberry`s outstanding vocals are the deciding factor in adding this band to your music library.

Early days, but this is a band to watch; I'm really looking forward to their next release.
on 10 November 2013
Superb album. Original, infectious, mature and emotional. Repeated listening gives rewards. British music is really coming into its own again. Support them!
on 19 January 2016
I'm not gunna lie, I really wanted to find a physical copy of the special edition but it appears they either don't exist or have very good homes already! Probably the best debut album I've ever heard and easily in my top 3 favourite albums of all time. If I could give it 6 stars I would. The electro-pop is familiar yet different, with dabbles of Goldfrapp and Purity Ring the most comparable in terms of what it sounds like. Seriously recommend this to any electro-pop or synthpop lover, but I'd recommed buying the bonus tracks too (can download from amazon) as they are excellent also in my opinion.
on 27 July 2016
Absolutely excellent debut. If you like any one of Chvrches songs then you'll like or love the whole album. It's well written, beautifully performed, extremely catchy (in a good way) and extremely easy to listen to over and over.

Buy it. You'll be pleased you did.
on 14 August 2014
Having seen their performance at Glastonbury this year I was convinced that the band are a serious talent and have staying power and that I had to commit to the full repertoire offered by the album since when I have had this on an almost continuous play loop.
There are elements of 80s electronic in the mix and 'Lies' in particular harks back to Tubeway Army but this is so much more than that as it neatly avoids the 'samey' trap with each track having a distinct sound element rather than one merging with another.
The opening track 'The Mother We Share' is undoubtedly an anthem but again unlike many remixes the bonus remix version that plays out the album also stands firm.
There then follows a solid, well formed selection; some punchy, some more laid back, through to 'Recover'. On such a perfectly formed album it is nigh on impossible to pick one track that stands head and shoulders above the others but for me 'Recover' does that. The opening of the track is like a deep breath before it takes a plunge.
The second half of the album after 'Recover' is undoubtedly slower than the first half but more intricate, experimental and innovative. 'Science/Visions' blends ethereal with verve, 'You Caught the Light' has a lilting, meditative feel and finally there is 'Broken Bones' the perfect end track which loops along and gives full range to Lauren Mayberry's vocal talent and hints again at 80s electronic and I am convinced has a nod to Ultravox's anthem 'Vienna', against which it more than holds its own.
There are very few 'perfect' albums, even classic albums usually carry one or 2 bum tracks amongst the exceptional and whilst perhaps none of the tracks on 'The Bones of What You Believe' will enter the long lasting mainstream consciousness as classics (though I think that is the mainstreams great loss) this is a near perfect album and there is not one track that I would drop. In that respect I would put it on the top shelf along with the likes of 'The Joshua Tree', 'Rumours' or 'Supernature', your life will be better for owning this album.
on 26 April 2016
Great Album.
I was recommended Chvrches, as I listen to Grimes.
Vocals are quite similar, but much darker electronic sound.
Best listened to with a sub-woofer... although don't annoy your neighbours!
on 14 January 2016
The singles from the album are obviously great and the other song stand up well, i dont feel like I'm listening to 'filler' tracks. Its a good album but I wouldn't describe it as something I cant stop listening to so for that reason I only gave it 4 stars.
on 18 November 2013
Highly recommended.
I wasn't a big fan of 80's influenced music (or at least I couldn't find a way in) until I heard a single off this on the radio.
I brought the CD when it came out and am still listening.
on 18 March 2014
The Glaswegian trio that make up 'Chvrches' are proving a force to be reckoned with on the 3-piece electronica circuit-giving the likes of 'Chase and Status' and 'Disclosure' some healthy competition.
'The Bones Of What You Believe' is quirky, contemporary and sharp with some beautifully crafted songs and musically, expressing a definite technological intent. The song writing is of such a level of maturity, that it has the feel of a third or fourth album rather than a debut! Vocalist Lauren Mayberry could hum the phonebook from cover to cover and still have you yearning for more.
A major plus for this album is that the tracks are in the realm of the radio edit rather than the 12inch, cutting straight to the lyrical point of the song/s.
The single 'Gun' released in the summer of 2013, is the perfect promo for the band, encompassing that vocal hook-based, synthesised style. Track 'Under The Tide' lends itself to a bit of role reversal courtesy of keyboard players Iain Cook/Martin Doherty providing fitting vocals to the backdrop of a tidy base-line.
A very promising addition to the current dance/pop and live music scene.