VINE VOICEon 12 September 2015
Every now and then a band comes along which captures my attention. Earlier this year I heard a Chvrches track on the radio and I was captivated by it. After checking out another few tracks on YouTube I ordered the album and six months later I still haven't stopped listening to it. It's a rare thing these days to keep coming back to one album after months of listening to it but such is the beauty of this album that no matter what mood I'm in I always enjoy it. It's great to hear lead singer Lauren Mayberry use her Scottish accent rather than try a faux american accent which unfortunately happens a lot in music. The stand out tracks for me are Recover, Night Sky and Under the Tide, but I have to be honest, there are no bad songs on this album. Their new album is due to be released in a few weeks and I can't wait, the few singles which have been released promise good things and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Highly recommended.
on 19 January 2016
I'm not gunna lie, I really wanted to find a physical copy of the special edition but it appears they either don't exist or have very good homes already! Probably the best debut album I've ever heard and easily in my top 3 favourite albums of all time. If I could give it 6 stars I would. The electro-pop is familiar yet different, with dabbles of Goldfrapp and Purity Ring the most comparable in terms of what it sounds like. Seriously recommend this to any electro-pop or synthpop lover, but I'd recommed buying the bonus tracks too (can download from amazon) as they are excellent also in my opinion.
on 14 August 2014
Having seen their performance at Glastonbury this year I was convinced that the band are a serious talent and have staying power and that I had to commit to the full repertoire offered by the album since when I have had this on an almost continuous play loop.
There are elements of 80s electronic in the mix and 'Lies' in particular harks back to Tubeway Army but this is so much more than that as it neatly avoids the 'samey' trap with each track having a distinct sound element rather than one merging with another.
The opening track 'The Mother We Share' is undoubtedly an anthem but again unlike many remixes the bonus remix version that plays out the album also stands firm.
There then follows a solid, well formed selection; some punchy, some more laid back, through to 'Recover'. On such a perfectly formed album it is nigh on impossible to pick one track that stands head and shoulders above the others but for me 'Recover' does that. The opening of the track is like a deep breath before it takes a plunge.
The second half of the album after 'Recover' is undoubtedly slower than the first half but more intricate, experimental and innovative. 'Science/Visions' blends ethereal with verve, 'You Caught the Light' has a lilting, meditative feel and finally there is 'Broken Bones' the perfect end track which loops along and gives full range to Lauren Mayberry's vocal talent and hints again at 80s electronic and I am convinced has a nod to Ultravox's anthem 'Vienna', against which it more than holds its own.
There are very few 'perfect' albums, even classic albums usually carry one or 2 bum tracks amongst the exceptional and whilst perhaps none of the tracks on 'The Bones of What You Believe' will enter the long lasting mainstream consciousness as classics (though I think that is the mainstreams great loss) this is a near perfect album and there is not one track that I would drop. In that respect I would put it on the top shelf along with the likes of 'The Joshua Tree', 'Rumours' or 'Supernature', your life will be better for owning this album.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2014
I happen to stumble upon Chvrches by accident. Now I am really glad I did. The combination of electronic synth based music coupled with great vocals makes it a pleasure to listen to. The musical style is very reminiscent of some of the more obscure electronic bands of the late seventies and early eighties but please don’t let that put you off. “Recover” and “The Mother We Shared” are the tracks that will be on auto-repeat in your brain once you have listened to them a few times. This band deserves both critical and commercial success.
on 17 June 2014
This is the kind of album you can listen to over and over again - trust me, I've tried it! I'm not much of a music critic but the combination of the slightly haunting voice of the lead singer and the catchy synth tunes is a real winner in my book and the whole album is worth a listen to, unlike most of the modern pop albums I've heard where there's only 1 or 2 tracks worth your time. Looking forward to the next album!
on 27 July 2016
Absolutely excellent debut. If you like any one of Chvrches songs then you'll like or love the whole album. It's well written, beautifully performed, extremely catchy (in a good way) and extremely easy to listen to over and over.

Buy it. You'll be pleased you did.
on 15 October 2013
If you are reading this then chances are you're already leaning towards purchasing this album, and I'd encourage you to do exactly that. I can't quite remember how I came across this band but after playing some of their songs through YouTube and enjoying the 80s electro-pop vibe, I decided to buy 'The Bones of What You Believe'.

It is one of those albums where you are loathed to skip to the next track as each song either grabs you with both hands from the first second (The brilliant 'Gun' and 'Lies' spring to mind) or slowly draws you in (the build up and then explosion in 'Tether', in my opinion the best song on the album, is the best example of this). I've listened to this album a few times in different moods and places and it delivers on every front each time, so my advice would be to give it a go; you'll be glad you did.
on 18 November 2013
Highly recommended.
I wasn't a big fan of 80's influenced music (or at least I couldn't find a way in) until I heard a single off this on the radio.
I brought the CD when it came out and am still listening.
Recommended
3 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2016
The singles from the album are obviously great and the other song stand up well, i dont feel like I'm listening to 'filler' tracks. Its a good album but I wouldn't describe it as something I cant stop listening to so for that reason I only gave it 4 stars.
on 1 January 2015
More than just a modern synthpop album, "The Bones" is a statement of modern art. Rising above all the pretentious studio-magic of today, it pours warm rain from the neon skies above, and does so from track to track, creating a beautiful and colourful display in the process. Joe Rivers mentioned that every track is potentially a single, and I completely agree; however "We Sink" and "Recover" strike a particular sentimental chord with me. I am a big believer of supporting beautiful music, so I have purchased both the vinyl, as well as the mp3 album. I hope CHVRCHES keep this up with their next studio album, and I hope someday to see them live.