Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In the beginning there was just the iPad but in the blink of an eye an entire species, the tablet, was born. Thus it will be with these brilliant scanning workhorses but I have not as yet identified a species name.

The trail blazer was Fujitsu's Scansnap, which we have been using for several years and has contributed to the efficiency of our business to an enormous degree. It is difficult to overstate the boon to small business represented by the advent of small footprint, high speed sheet feed scanners. They have equal application in the home if you ever aspire to clearing up the clutter of home paperwork.

We have one at each desk and all paperwork is scanned straight to Dropbox for instant access across PCs. For those of you unfamiliar with this type of unit, it occupies the volume of a brick after a heavy lunch and for scanning opens out like a transformer toy or sun lounger.

The Epson DS-510 competes with Fujitsu's iX500 in terms of capability and price point and whilst Epson may previously have lagged Scansnap's position, it has caught up pretty well. We are passionate about Scansnap for what it has achieved in our business and it says a lot for the DS-510 that I find it difficult to differentiate the two in terms of quality or performance. Scansnap may have set the standard but this is no poor imitation.

Both offer double sided scanning on the fly, blank sheet recognition, monochrome or colour scanning and a choice of resolutions up to 600 dpi. The claimed scanning speeds are almost the same (26 ppm for Epsom versus 25 ppm for the Scansnap) and both use LED technology and will handle 50 sheets in the document feeder. Differences are marginal in terms of our requirements but may be important to some.

The Epson offers network capability through a 'network interface unit', which we did not get to grips with because Dropbox eliminates any need we might have to network. It also does not have any wireless capability whereas ScanSnap does and although it can only be paired to one PC it also throws in the ability to scan directly to a mobile device.

The Epsom is TWAIN compliant, which some find makes for less problematic pairing, although we have not experienced a problem with ScanSnap.

The ScanSnap interface offers all the de rigueur options such as scan to file, email, print and so on but at first take Epson's 'Document Capture Pro' software may offer a few more knobs and whistles. On the other hand, ScanSnap is bundled with a full copy of Adobe X, which opened up a new world for us in terms of pdf manipulation.

Given that we have a loyalty to ScanSnap through familiarity it is testament to Epson that we like their machine. In fact, we are mothballing our slightly older ScanSnap S1500 (which has never broken down) to enable the Epson to jostle for our affections. You really could not go wrong with either of these fine machines. If wireless and a copy of Adobe are of value to you, perhaps think more about the iX500, if networking, TWAIN or what seems to be a nifty document management suite are key you may prefer Epson's DS-510.

This niche will almost certainly expand over the next year or so as homes as well as businesses catch on to the benefit of this type of scanner. If you are a small to medium sized business, the combination of these work horses, Dropbox and dual monitors is likely to improve productivity hugely. This trio of initiatives has easily saved 10% in terms of our time resource.
on 8 November 2014
Excellent - the bundled software isn't up to much but as a scanner this is just great. Solidly built, quick, small enough to stick in the cupboard when your not using it. If you want a doubled-sided scanner for a good price that does exactly whaat you want it to do, this is the puppy for you
on 16 April 2015
I have had this scanner a few days and it seems to be operating fine. No paper jams yet. It is fast though the Descreening option slows things down quite a lot.

However, I have one fairly serious issue with the Document Capture Pro software (1.2.5). I am scanning photocopied stuff that contains a random mixture of BW text, BW images and colour images and making tiff files. The original image quality is not that good. If I set the Image Type to 'Auto' to automatically pick out the colour pages, the pages with BW images only get output in BW (2-bit) mode which loses all the detail. I want them (and even the BW text) output on an 8-bit grayscale (the 'Gray' option). I see no way of disabling the BW mode under the Auto mode so effectively I cannot use Auto mode and have to scan everything under Color mode (ugh!). I just want the Color or Gray options. How does the software ever choose Gray mode over BW? Am I missing something?

I'l give it 4 stars but it is early days yet and largely unproven.
on 6 January 2016
Easy to install and then took about 30 minutes of trial and error to get things sorted. Once you're up and running though it does a great job. Fast, simple to use and, tbh, it's far exceeded my expectations.
on 6 May 2014
This is an extremely powerful but compact scanner.
Purchased primarily for multi sheet capability.
Full marks Epson on this machine