on 8 January 2014
I bought this European version of the ASUS Fonepad because it includes a rear facing 5 megapixel camera but I was subsequently delighted to learn that since it is classified as a "phone" it neatly avoids the 3G data down load limits normally applied to "tablets". Yes it is too big to be used as a "phone" but, like other owners, I intend to use it with a blue tooth earpiece. One thing to bear in mind though is that the rear facing camera is located a little lower (perhaps 8 mm?) than the UK version and I will have to make a small modification to the multi-angle wallet stand which I also bought through Amazon, but then it was advertised as suitable for the UK model (ME371MG). I hope this review is helpful?
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2014
As opposed to the 'Asus Fonepad' (released Apr '13), the 'Asus Fonepad 7' (released Oct '13) has a dual core processor, front + rear cameras, stereo speakers, Android 4.3, Miracast... among other improvements. It's not really a matter of European and UK versions in any way other than that, for some reason, it has not been exported wholesale and made generally available in this country. I think the units in this ad, at the time of writing, are being sent from Germany.
In November '13 I paid £246 to have one sent from Taiwan for my mother's Christmas and I still consider it good value for that price. Has all the benefits you get with a high spec smartphone but with a brilliant big 7" IPS LCD tablet screen. Very responsive, lag free and has faster 3G HSDPA connectivity (42Mb/s) than the old version (21Mb/s) and a lot of other smartphones and tablets.
'Now not a lot of people know that', as Michael Caine is reported to never have said.
A brilliant device.
on 9 September 2015
Bought as an Xmas pressie for my wife - she likes it, and it's generally better/faster than my on ME371, although it has less on-board memory