on 9 March 2014
I'm sad to say that this Star Trek Titan novella was something of a disappointment. Unlike other recent novellas from the Trek line, it's not a character-focused story but is heavily plot and action driven (like a weaker TNG episode) and doesn't really add anything to the overall Trek universe.

The plot follows Riker and his crewmates as they are randomly dispatched on a repair mission. There's a bit of a mystery to solve but by necessity the solution is hinted at so heavily that it's hardly a surprise when you reach the reveal. Some of the characters come across as having forgotten everything that's happened to them in recent stories, and that's a little frustrating.

Because of the action orientation of the plot, the story seemed to pass much more quickly than a character-driven tale of similar length, making it seem much shorter than other similarly-lengthed novellas, which was disappointing given the price. I'm not really an ebook person and so on the odd occasion that I'm forced into reading one so I don't feel I've missed out on something, I really want to feel it was worth it at the end - in this case I didn't.
on 4 December 2015
Since Star Trek: Titan launched in 2005 (yes 10 years ago now!) I have been a fan of the continuing literary adventures of Riker, Troi, Tuvok (nice nod to Voyager) and the diverse multispecies crew.
When I purchased this and saw the reviews about this not being character based then your wrong a little. This is a good character story of Riker's first steps as an Admiral and it may focus on the action towards the end yet it still brings it home to Riker acomplishing something.
Also the author gave Tuvok a lot to do as well which scores big points with me.
An enjoyable Trek novella to kill some time.
on 12 March 2014
After the recent Fall series I was looking forward to see what was next for Will Riker and the crew of the Titan, but this was quite a letdown. The characterizations are off and there are a number of glaring mistakes when the author refers to past events which put me off straight away. Get this is if you are a want a complete collection only. Miller has been contracted to write a novel for next year featuring the crew of the Aventine, if its anything like this I'll give it a miss.
on 10 March 2014
This Titan novel was a follow up from the fall series and was John Jackson Millers first jaunt into the Star Trek universe and to be honest It didnt really read well at all! His version of the characters seemed very different to most other authors, especially Captain Dax and the Aventine who could just have easily been replaced by just about any other ship. There were stupid errors as well, one characters was addressed as ensign when he was promoted to Ltnt junior grade in an earlier novel and the word teleport was used instead of beam. These are all small things however 99% of other recent trek books have always got this correct. It seems to me that the author has come in from the Star Wars universe and either not done the proper research or was just very sloppy. Apart from the very small mentions of events in the fall and the inclusion of the Aventine this is very much a stand alone title so this one could be skipped if necessary. Sadly I think the author should stick to the Star Wars Universe.

PS for those complaining about the length of the book .... Amazon make it very clear that this is an ebook, they even put the number of pages on the product page, so people shouldnt moan and give it lower stars due to the length of the novella
on 14 March 2014
Disapointingly short. This story lacked depth for me and could have featured more plotlines running alongside the main narrative. Not STT'S strongest offering by a long shot.
on 27 February 2014
After the truly epic The Fall series I was intrigued too see where this Ebook would take the crew of the Titan. Unfortunately they don't manage to go anywhere exciting or get any major character or plot development for the larger story arcs in place. Very much a filler story that will entertain for a few hours and then be forgotten.
on 26 February 2014
I have read quite a few Start Trek books and this is a notable drop in quality from the others i have enjoyed. The story tried to close a few of the glaring loopholes in a TNG episode that i wont name as it would give away some of the plot. In doing that it came across as clunky and ham-fisted.

The events in the book followed on directly from the 'Star Trek: The Fall' series, but aside from a few throwaway references at the start nothing was done to integrate the book into existing storylines.

The writing itself was fine (though the use of the word teleport will surely annoy trek fans), but the premise and plot were too weak to be saved
on 22 April 2015
The book was okay for what it was. Okay Picard was way off but only a small part of book. My big problem with this was the price. £3.99 on kindle now gets you a lot of book. This was only a short story. Should have been priced same as the previous "Latium lost and found." I think the price is why this book has not gone down so well. If you are reading through the books in order you can skip this one and not miss anything. I wish I had heeded this advise form other readers.
on 31 March 2014
I could not finish this book. I didn't recognise the characters, and I have read them all! I found myself thinking "he wouldn't say that" or "that's not what she would do" so eventually I just stopped reading it. I felt like I had been robbed of a good book. Considering the high quality of the books of recent years from people like Una McCormack and James Swallow this book rinded me of some teenage fan fiction. I would give this a miss of I were you.
on 13 May 2014
I've really enjoyed all the Star Trek Titan books to date but Absent Enemies left me cold. It needed fleshing out some more (seemed like it was lacking a B plot) and had a couple of obvious errors - in Star Trek they move from place to place by transporting but this was teleporting in at least one part of Absent Enemies.