This is the first book I've read by this author and I found it an enjoyable read. It's a murder mystery set in an English village - Castle Farthing. The old git of the title has offended and upset just about everyone in the village and it's no surprise to anyone that he is found dead one morning.

DI Harry Falconer - always impeccably turned out with not a hair out of place and always appropriately dressed; and Acting DS 'Davey' Carmichael - his sartorial opposite who thinks a bright Hawaiian shirt constitutes plain clothes, must investigate the death when no one really wants the culprit found. Falconer much prefers investigating murder in a town and he finds the villagers difficult to talk to but gradually as he gets into the case he starts to get used to them.

This is an amusing and well plotted cosy mystery which paints a perhaps slightly exaggerated picture of village life. If you don't want too much violence in your crime novels and do want touches of humour and interesting characters then try this author. I am definitely going to go on and read the rest of the series.
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2013
I think it was because none of the characters came across as people you felt empathy for, except possibly the sartorially challenged Acting Sergeant, that made me give this only 3 stars. I hoped the old lady who loves animals might turn into a sort of Miss Marple, she didn't, the detective was full of his own self importance, lived in an elegant flat with his cat and despaired of his sergeant's dress sense and the villagers themselves had not much to commend them.
If there was nothing else around I would read another.
on 4 August 2017
A fun story with more emphasis on the interesting characters than the murders. I finished it in one sitting and it made me laugh out loud a couple of times.
on 17 March 2017
Lots of characters to grasp, but a good read - probably the start of my next collection
on 30 July 2013
I thought that I was not going to like this book but I did thoroughly enjoy it. It is a bit "Tongue in cheek" but very readable. As I read it, I could see it as a stage play, the characters are quite theatrical. I will look out for more from this author. An ideal bed time read.
on 1 May 2015
Once again Andrea Frazer has written another good story.
on 31 July 2015
Instant
on 4 April 2017
This had me guessing till the end, which I think makes for a very good story. Am looking forward to reading the rest in the series.
on 19 April 2012
Wow, what a super engrossing 'whodunnit'. It was so enjoyable and very difficult to put down before one's eyes began to blur with sleep ! Andrea Frazer writes so well and still captures with reader with clever 'asides' and a deep sense of humour.
Loved it and will read her other 'Falconer'books. One of your reviewers wrote that they didn't like the title of 'Death of an Old Git'. Maybe not, but at least it captured the attention of people like myself. Well done !

Carol Chamberlain, West Sussex
on 30 April 2016
Having discovered the author via her Belchester Chronicles I wanted to enjoy these with equal vigour. These are the quintessential English village cosy and made better by the fact the author is British and understands the foibles of the characters she introduces.

The two detectives are well described engaging characters; if somewhat OTT if you are expecting a Morse/Lewis type combination. The trick with reading this series is to 'go with it'. It's not real, it's not gritty but it is endearing and warm and an easy read and I thouroughly enjoyed conjuring the characters and meeting them in this cosy world of village disputes and long held grudges.

I would have given five stars but from an author who can write as wonderfully as she does in the Belchester Chronicles, the Falconer Files dosen't have quite such uniqueness. Saying that I am a firm fan of this series as well and would recommend as excellent reads whilst waiting for the next installment of the Belchester Chronicles from the same author.