on 7 March 2009
An enjoyable sequel to the Blooy Tower.Catherine 'Kitty' Lumsden is the daughter of Lady Matilda, known in the prequel Bloody Tower as Tilly Middleton. Kitty lives in reasonable luxury until her brother, Joseph, makes new dangerous friends. These friends turn out to be plotters against Queen Elizabeth the first who are trying to get Mary, Queen of Scots on the throne. Kitty is worried the whole family will get thrown into prison because of them and Joseph isn't listening to her pleas to stop being friends with them...
One of the best My Storys for ages. Despite the whole series of histoical fictional diaries being great, this is one of the best. Mixing vivid detail of Elizabethan life and the Mary, Queen of Scots plot with a great story line, this is destined to be a great read.
on 14 January 2015
The year is 1588 Elizabeth is on the throne and Mary a staunch catholic is under arrest.
Young Kitty lives with her Father, Mother and three brothers, Kitty's father works on secret projects for the Queen, her brother Richard also works at court, Richards twin brother Joseph has made friends with Anthony Babbington, not knowing that he and friends are plotting against the Queen, Anthony is a catholic, Kitty overhears Anthony plotting others and is worried for her brother, fearing that people will think he is involved.
Another one of the My Story series, this one is probably an ok read.
on 7 September 2008
this is the sequel to BLOODY TOWER by valerie wilding and it is fantastic
rich in both humour and history if you have read, BLOODY TOWER and LADY GRACE MYSTERIES youll love this good for ages 9+
on 18 January 2016
Sadly, I had not read this in the order I was supposed to. I don't know that it would have made a difference, but I would've definitely enjoyed it more I believe. I read To Kill A Queen before its prequel, Bloody Tower, and I had no idea that the two were related in any way. Bloody Tower talks about Tilly Middleton, whose family lives in the Tower of London where most executions take place (hence named the Bloody Tower), and To Kill A Queen talks about Tilly Middleton's daughter Kitty Lumsden, whose family has now moved near the Thames.

Kitty's mom gets a diary every year from the Queen herself, and she never understood why (neither have I to be honest, until having read Bloody Tower, in which it all made sense then). Kitty decides to keep a diary herself, in which she writes the going on of the tower, and her family's activities around her. Kitty is especially worried about her brother Joseph who gets involved with a group of boys who seem to be plotting against the Queen.

This story is set in the late 1500's when Mary Queen of Scots was held captive by Queen Elizabeth to protect herself from being assassinated to put Mary on the throne. Very interesting part of history, and I enjoyed reading it as well as diving into the Lumsden family drama.
on 21 September 2008
this book is FANTASTIC, origanally named THE QUEENS SPIES, follow up to BLOODY TOWER by Valerie wilding,in the my story series.

Kitty lumsden, daugter to Tilly middleton, now lady matilda Lumsden, lives in a world of secrets, lies and plots, more namely elizabethan london, conspiritors are plotting to assinate Queen Elizabeth and put Mary stuart on the throne, Kittys father is a spies For queen Elizabeth.

as I said before this book is fantastic, great for any fan the the MY STORY series, Im ten years old and thought it was great.
on 19 May 2012
This book is one of the best. Kitty Lumsden tries desperately to stop her trusting brother from being friends with plotters to murder Queen Elizabeth 1. The plotters are charming and no one suspects them. It is a brilliant book and easy to read.
on 28 December 2013
I'm 13 years old and still I find this story rather interesting, I have also read Valerie Wilding's other book, the bloody tower, I love history and the fact that she has turned history into an educational book is brilliant. That's the reason why this book deserves five stars. I am hoping to read the rest of Valerie Wilding's historic books!
on 2 January 2013
Bought for my 10 and 11 year old grand-daughters this book and five similar ones have given the girls a great insight into life during the period the book refers to.
on 30 March 2014
Lovely book, my daughter enjoys this series. Book arrived promptly and well packaged, definatley looking to get more in this series
on 24 January 2014
Amazing it really engaged you highly recommend very factual but in interesting way so you understand very good for young