on 19 October 2011
I first watched this film when I was 5 years old and now (28 years on) as a mother to a 4 year old I can still see the beauty in it. The music, the actors, the way it is shot - they combine to make a wonderful story come to life in the most spellbinding way. To hear David Jason give life to a range of characters is a joy.

The pace is so different to cartoons - but makes it all the better for that. My son loves Mickey Mouse but watched The Wind in the Willows one grim afternoon openmouthed, waiting for the next bit of the story. It's totally captured his imagination and he keeps asking about Mr Mole, Mr Toad and if we can go to the Wild Wood someday.

I'm not one for gushing, but I love this film.
on 6 August 2010
DVD Wind in the Willows

I had this on videotape when my children were small, and it entertained for hours.
I read it as a solitary child, - over and over again, and I found this version with David Jason & co did the stories justice like no other form.
I love it still, and will have it ready for when my children's children are ready.
on 28 May 2010
Simply the most perfect and accurate film of a charming book. A total joy that has not dated.
on 31 May 2012
We watched this with our children when they were small and purchased this and Series 1 and 2 on a whim. We were not disappointed. The content, animation and characterizations by Ian Carmichael, Sir Michael Hordern and Richard Pearson are wonderful. As a late friend used to say all the time, "What Fun!!!!!" We enjoyed it thoroughly. "The Wind in the Willows" is a classic book that every child should have on their shelf and this film is one that every family should have in their collection. It is suitable for the a child of any age. Why should the little ones have all the fun?
on 3 January 2013
Grandchildren, chilly day, hot chocolate, loads of cushions, Christmas lights, sweets, iced cakes & an old fashioned tale - with none of the 21st century film violence & bad language! A wonderful adventurous story that everyone can enjoy.
on 30 January 2010
Before it became a Wallace-and-Gromit ghetto, model animation was pioneered by Cosgrove Hall - and this is arguably their magnum opus. Beautifully produced, lovingly detailed, with a great vocal cast and classy score, it has the nerve to stick closely to the book. As a result it is the best screen version by miles and, in my opinion, likely to remain so.

Some kids may find it a bit slow by today's standards; but if they stick with it, they may just discover that not everything has to be frenetic to be enjoyable. If not, what the heck - like the book, it's probably as good (if not better) for grown-ups.
Kenneth Grahame’s classic novel has lent itself to many film and television adaptations over the years and like most people I have probably seen most of them, but this one is quite possibly my favourite version. Of course there are slight variations between the story as told here and the book version, but you don’t really notice that as you get carried away with this.

Filmed with stop motion animation I always love watching this and seeing the attention to detail, with all the fireplaces, ornaments and furniture in the homes, and the outside scenes with animals and greenery. This film will keep your little ones quiet as they become enthralled as the story opens before them, and also us as adults are just as quiet as we remember this from our younger days and soon lose ourselves as well in the whole experience.

This film won both a BAFTA and an Emmy, and if this is the first time you have seen it you will soon realise why. There are subtitles on this DVD, but there are no extras.
on 27 August 2011
I have long wanted to see this film on DVD. I was given the VHS tape by a friend many years ago and literally wore it out. Adult friends as well as children find it beguiling, beautifully made and entertaining. The animation is superb, down to facial expressions and detailed clothing. The music is wonderful. Anyone with an inner child capable of a sense of wonder will be captivated by this timeless film.
on 7 December 2013
Something has gone wrong with this blu-ray as it looks worse than the dvd (the 2008 release). The picture is very soft with hardly any detail - the dvd is sharper with more detail. I dont know why they're saying this is digitally restored - it looks terrible.

The dvd is available here:
on 13 March 2014
I had this film on VHS video and jumped at the change to buy it on Blu Ray, but what a disappointment. The quality of the film is blurred and considering it was supposed to be enhanced, I consider it a bad purchase.