on 23 December 2013
Remarkable album, and I could add "for somebody who's only 16", but that would seem to be talking down to her. It's remarkable, period.

It seems that she did much of the production herself, and yet it's as if she already knows everything there is to know.
There are no loose wires dangling or rough edges in her music, it's been worked and worked on it till everything seems to be in exactly the right place.
Sometimes perfection can produce something antiseptic, yet the result is warm, full, melancholy.

She also holds any youthful exaggerations in check: she never lets herself go, which is certainly not a criticism. She just knows exactly what she's doing, starting from the album cover, which in its dark simplicity tells you exactly what to expect.
I'm not generally a great fan of electronic music - too often it sounds like something made by a programme, whereas here each bit sounds like it was carefully crafted by a human, even though it's electronic.

Another big plus is the way the album continues to grow on you: it's one of those that you never get bored with. A first listening is good, you can feel the quality right away, but I loved the effects over time.

I've seen her briefly on video and her physical presence is amazing too with a gaze that shows total inner calm. Really captivating.

I like all the tracks but in particular the long end track "A World Alone".
The only disappointment is the drug reference in the title, I know it's all part of it, I only wish it wasn't, of course. But then that's the whole point.
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2013
I was initially put off buying this album as a few reviews said only Royals was a good track and the rest were rubbish. Eventually after listening to part of the album on spotify I decided to buy it and Im glad I did.
I just used the mp3 download which was half the price of the album and other downloads.
I really love this album, its smooth, poignant and easy to listen to -which is a surprise but Lorde's smooth vocals are so easy to listen. The lyrics are observational and hard hitting but due to the way Lords sings she makes her point but in a wonderfully smooth way.The first 3 tracks are the best - Tennis court, 400 lux and Royals are for the best- along with the last track A world alone. One or two tracks on the album are a bit rambling -like Ribs but may appeal to others .Overall I really like it- I rarely buy album's but love the mix of the smoothness of Lorde's voice, the darkness of the songs but they are lifted but some upbeat undertones. Some songs remind me of Mia but less aggressive .
Overall I really like and am recommending it to everyone I know- including you .
on 23 October 2017
A vibrant, precocious talent. Reviews had been good (and her new album had also just been released) so finally got around to buying the original and have enjoyed it immensely. Already a star of course and will be interesting / exciting to see how her music develops - as if this is just the start then listeners will be in for a treat!
on 23 October 2016
Good album, great quality vinyl!
on 1 November 2017
Very pleased with my purchase came well packaged and looks and sounds superb.
on 1 January 2018
Excellent first album from Lorde. There's a lot of other great songs on top of Royals and Team in the album. Highly recommended, if you enjoyed Royals, then you'll likely to love the rest :-)
on 23 November 2017