Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 1 June 2016
With the pile of bands making comeback albums, and Morbid Angel's utter failure...this is not just a welcome return to form, but an attempt which in my opinion beats all of their previous attempts.
on 11 May 2017
superb album after a long absence its good to have you back
on 19 October 2013
In 2008 we all hoped this would happen. Is it worth it? A big yes. Very much a yes. Yes!

So how good is it? Well they have been away a long time and with some gigs over the last few years filling time they must be right back up at where they left off. And that is how it feels. Swansong for many was not a good album but these ears loved the album and the first half of the album follows a little bit on from that album. Intro "1985" feels a little bit like Judas Priest and I do feel that was the intention. More of a nod than a rip off. "Thrasher's Abattoir" has everything from the bands last five album mixed in one. Backed up with a nice production job as ever from Colin Richardson. Of course the drums sound fantastic and at times this old bass player is thinking of packing in the four stringer as I would never keep up. Riffs are also here "Cadaver Pouch Conveyor System" has that melodic guitar sound from later albums but still backs up the music with serious guitar riffing and time changes.

Fans of the bands last two albums will hate "A Congealed Clot Of Blood" back to the more melodic side and very few blastbeats on this one. I could even compare it to a few slower Sabbath numbers. Metal fans will love it, 17 years is a long time between albums and I do feel old disgruntled fans will come round.

Blastbeats and classic gore lyrics were the bands start and it is back in "The Master Butcher's Apron". The production stops it from sounding to messy. Track six or "Noncompliance to ASTM F 899-12 Standard" for me is a real highlight. Technical death metal without the wankyness that come into that style. Some nice classic rock textures that could get a Thursday rock night grooving.

Dan Wilding does a great job on drums and with is time on a drum stool you would expect nothing less. "Unfit for Human Consumption" is as tight as you can have a band this heavy and vocals trying to tell a story or just tell it as it is. The vocals never sound rushed at all and do sound very much from the 90s (a good thing).

Last track is a nice ending to the album and clocking in over 8 minutes it has some extras thrown in. Acoustic guitars helping to launch the last track into very much a symphonic style of death metal tear jerker. There is no letting up on the riffs or even the vocals so do not be worried. It does work and helps take the album up to a 47 minute mark. I have read there are another four track recorded and I wonder when and where they will come out.

But a solid album and some real replay value on this, if this it the first you have heard of this band then you are in for a treat and get ready to buy a few more of there albums. If you have them all and the reissues and also the reissues with the DVD like me then you really can relax. IT IS REALLY GOOD!
on 9 February 2017
What a comeback after 17 years, i didn't expect for this to be that good but this is just excellent.
I am Carcass fan from 'Necroticism' and 'Heartwork' follower, and by listening to this it throw me back to these albums.
The production here is so good, Andy Sneap never disappoint, sound so good that i want to listen to it again and again.
The album is not easy to digest at all, you need a few spins to get use to it, and considering i write this review a bit late, i did gave it a few spins.
Each time i listen to it i like it more and more, musically is all what you can ask for from a death metal legend, the drums here are an eargasm, Walker's vocals are brutal and harsh but also enjoyable like 17 years ago, and of course the bass, the riffs, the solos all are pleasure to the ears.
Lyrically, that language is very hard to understand, the meaning of it, just for looking at the title tracks with numbers and capital letters like someone forgot to turn off the caps lock, and it the same experience i had with 'Necroticism', but that keep it mysterious.
Artwork is interesting, seeing all those tools gives you the experience you about to explore inside, which is important to me apart of the music.
From the first opener with the intro Carcass are here to say they are back and they are back to do what they know to do the best.
I like all the tracks, hard to me to pick a favorite, i just prefer to play it in one play and enjoy.
on 11 October 2013
The first time Carcass were about I was too busy sorting my Lego to have heard them so no `not as good as...' baggage from me.

It is obvious listening to this that a lot of bands have and continue to be influenced by Carcass, this means that this might sound a bit familiar to some in places and it was this that initially put me off. However, this is not the bands fault and in fact the style of musicianship on display here being a tad old school is great to hear and seems to show they are confident enough to not push things for the sake of it thus producing a very precise excellently produced record.

Although very metal the riffs and breakdowns are actually rather rocky and not too dissimilar to Arch Enemy (not surprising that really) and while I can see how a fan of yore may be put off by this as a listener of recent Black Metal I really enjoyed it after giving it the time.

I reviewed the record because it has been out a while and only has a handful of reviews which is sad for a such great British band (this alone is amazing) with such a wonderful return. Favourite song `316l', most catchy song `Thrasher's Abattoir', biggest grower `Intensive battery Brooding', typical track `The Master Butcher's Apron', one I play to unconvinced friends 'Mount Of Execution'.

As a final thought...what amazing cover art huh?
on 11 July 2016
God this is brutal. After a 17 year gap between albums I was not sure what to expect. Admit I only purchased this album last week for first time. However this is 100% the Carcass I love from 'Symphonies / Necroticism' era. As fast, heavy and in your face as they were 20 years ago. Incredible album which has been incredibly well produced. 45 minutes in the gym with this tonight, just the thing after a dull day at the office!!
on 25 November 2014
You just don't get Metal better than this, seriously people its true, to think Bill and Jeff haven't been actively writing new material in well over a decade and then sit down and write this after some reunion touring is staggering, plus without Mr Amott who is widely credited for the previous shredding writing in the Carcass discography, now I don't agree with this Melodic Death Metal nonsense that Carcass seem to get defined by, sure there is elements of melody in their riffing, but such are the levels of brutality and sheer intense heaviness this has to fall somewhere between Death, Thrash and Groove Metal. My point is you cant pigeonhole Carcass, history should tell you that, from Reek to Swansong, these guys don't stand still
Surgical Steel wasnt bettered by any other release in 2013 and is nothing short of spectacular, for me it falls between Necroticism and Heartwork, Unfit for Human Consumption and Captive Bolt Pistol being two particular highlights, absolutely classical - but Melodic Death,mehhhhh
on 15 September 2014
i have to say this is the bees knees. This is metal, this is excellent metal to be fair and a return album worth waiting for. There is all killer and no filler, catchy yet extreme , like they always were, well more or less anyway. This band know how to do songs that dont compromise yet dont bore or outstay their welcome. crushing in every single way.
on 27 February 2017
I used to listen to death metal all the time, know every band and every album coming out but I strayed away for a while until.... I spotted this in hmv and thought it was a compilation and then realised it was a new Carcass album! Now the last album I heard of theirs was Swansong and I liked it for its rockier feel which did not fair well with everyone, as a musician myself I could see a progression into why Swansong existed though and it's that which leads us into Surgical Steel. I am glad I bought this album as it's got some strong songwriting and still rocks but in a dark way, somewhere between their last three efforts combined and then updated I would say. After hearing this brilliant album I am eagerly awaiting Carcass's next album because if they continue to move forward in this vein and evolve we are in for a real masterwork next time. I've given 4 stars out of 5 as I'm Tring to rate this objectively and I feel that Carcass haven't reached their zenith just yet.
on 1 February 2014
The year was 1993 and I was 17 when I first discovered Carcass. Albeit late in the game they swiftly became my favourite band in the death metal genre which I was immersing myself in. The album was Heartwork and it became the album that all future music purchases would be compared to. A couple of years and one album later Carcass would split up, leaving a massive hole in the UK Death Metal scene. Thankfully a couple of years ago Carcass got back together to play a handful of shows, one thing led to another and they announced the release of their new album Surgical Steel. I can hand on heart state that this album is flawless from beginning to end there is nothing not to like. I've had this CD since the day it was released, and not a week has gone by where I haven't listened to the whole album. Not only that but it's made me rediscover Carcass' earlier albums and even the much maligned Swansong album. If your not familiar with Carcass this album is a brilliant starting point, working backwards through their releases, although I would leave the aforementioned Swansong to the end. Although this album harks back to the sound of Death Metal in the early 90s it sounds contemporary so perfect for new and old fans alike.