on 30 October 2013
I like this book very much, and have had even a better time exploring the associated algorithms. My only complaint is that the theory side is pretty skimpy to say the least - so do not expect to learn data-mining at a deep level from this book - but rather get a hands-on feel for what can be done - if a pretty vague notion at a conceptual level. Maybe the authors could try to improve this deficiency in later editions. Nonetheless, the book is great.
on 9 April 2013
Good book for visualisation and data exploration. I felt that the data mining chapters went into too much depth on the actual algorithms and not into enough depth on the process and the parameter values. For someone new to R, this is a great first book, as it allows you to start using R without having to learn the programming language.
on 7 August 2012
I am quite familiar with R and I skipped the first two chapters which are a quick introduction to data mining tasks and R. The rest of the book is very well written. This is not a sterile manual for an R package like many other books out there. This is a really good tutorial through various many data mining tasks. It is really quite good as starting point even for complex data mining works especially exploratory data mining. Data preparation, graphical methods, model evaluation, supervised and unsupervised learning, visualization techniques are covered. Topics are not fully covered in all details but I guess this was in goal of the author: give an general overview of Rattle and get you started with the program.
Examples are well chosen and describe real case scenarios and how to integrate models into other applications.
on 19 April 2014
NB Rating is not for the book bbut for Amazon's service on it, I will change it once the issue described below is resolved

I bought this because it is part of a series of books I have found useful in the past. However when I try to download it onto my Kindle Touch I get an error message telling me it is not compatible with my device!!
on 14 May 2015