on 11 June 2015
Excellent, does all I want and more. get some spare batteries and a dual battery charger, as battery life can be short for a full days filming
on 2 April 2017
brilliant camera had so much fun with it
on 28 March 2017
Excellent all round! Good entry level GoPro with good features and quality. Solid build quality and reliability.
on 20 April 2017
Very Nice
on 15 June 2015
Great
on 26 February 2015
Given the Hero4 model has been out for a couple of months now, I’m guessing you’re looking at the 3+ because like me, you’re not sure whether to stump up the extra cash. I’m a self-confessed gadget geek and not going for the latest model normally doesn’t sit right with me. I only use the GoPro for filming so the still image quality was something of no concern to me. My main requirement was that the camera filmed in 1080 at either 30fps (frames per second) or 60fps to ensure I had a really good image. I also needed an external microphone jack so I could get good quality audio. The 3+ meets these requirements so that was my starting point.

Looking at the Hero4 Silver, the built-in touch display was no use to me, as the 3+ has wi-fi built-in – this means I can view the camera angle and change settings through the GoPro app on my iPhone. The Hero4 Silver also shoots in 4k, which if you’re wanting to future proof could mean it’s a smarter investment. But, I won’t be getting a 4k TV for a long time and decided I wasn’t willing to wait delaying the purchase of a GoPro until I get a 4k TV. Both the Hero4 Silver and Black have adjustable settings for ISO, exposure, colour and an improved processor, which for me was the biggest issue I had in choosing a 3+ over a Hero4.

I use my GoPro to film my car both inside and outside and that’s it. I don’t jump out of planes, ski, board, or any other wild activities. I’m also certainly not a professional and chances are would only end up making my videos look worse playing about with the adjustable settings on the Hero4. 1080 at 60fps is good enough for me was what I thought in the end. And I think I made the right decision. The Hero3+ is amazing in good lighting conditions and terrible in low light conditions. And I do mean terrible. If you do a lot of shooting in low light this is not the camera for you, my videos were full of motion blur, dull and no amount of post-production would sort it out. I’ve still gone with 5 stars for this because low light conditions are not an issue for me.

Setting up the built-in wi-fi to create a network for the GoPro app is a doddle, as is using the camera itself to video. Power on, press the wi-fi (if you want to check angle or change settings) and press record, that’s it. The real fun comes in editing your videos and have to say, the GoPro Studio is very easy to use, producing great quality edits. The Hero3+ comes with the waterproof housing, which means the camera is just that but has a big impact on audio quality. I needed the skeleton housing, which has a gap in the casing to attach a USB so you can charge whilst using, or as in my case, attach the external mic. I also bought the official GoPro suction mount, but will eventually buy the mounts for my pushbike too.

So am I happy with not spending the extra £50 for the Hero 4 Silver or the extra £120 for the Hero4 Black? Yes. GoPro say that the Hero4 cameras are aimed at professionals, which I know what they mean but think this is a bit misleading. Unless you’re shooting for an actual film that will be released in the mainstream, the Hero3+ produces an image quality that is staggering. My folks still can’t believe something so small can produce such crisp quality. Apologies for the lengthy review, but hopefully will help those undecided between this and a Hero4 before parting with their hard earned.
66 Comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2015
If you want to record almost anything, the GoPro is easily the best way to do so. However I understand how people may struggle to choose between the models, I wont compare them all, but I will explain why I chose this model in particular.
I wanted to record at 1080p60fps, which is what this camera is capable of. The Hero was immediately struck off my list because it can only support up to 32gb sd cards, which wouldn't allow me to record as much footage as I wanted.
So next I looked to the Hero 4, which is very impressive and offers some upgrades in capability to the Hero 3+. However, I decided against it because of the price, and because frankly I don't need to record at anything higher than 1080p. Whilst it may seem a good idea to record at 2140p or even higher, you soon realise its not very sustainable because the footage will take up so much space on your PC and you will need endless amounts of sd cards, and you would have to have a 4k television to even see the extra quality. I happen to have a 4k television, but I want to capture the memory without taking up hundreds of gigabytes of memory.
So I was choosing between the Hero+ and the Hero 3+, when the 3+ went on sale and I did not hesitate to buy it. The ability to remove it from the housing and the higher potential swayed me, and it is a fantastic camera that I would recommend to anyone, especially if you can get it on offer.
The footage is immense, and can the camera is so versatile that you can capture almost anything with it. Using it is a real pleasure and I urge you to take the plunge if you are considering it!
on 11 August 2015
Didn't feel the need for to go for the Hero 4 as this has all the features and picture quality I needed at a far cheaper price. Highly recommend getting the GoPro wifi app for framing, monitoring and playback.
on 22 May 2017
Probably the least satisfied I've ever been with a product; as a young male who's grown up with technology (and has read the instructions) it's really poor in terms of usability; particularly with time lapses and actually connecting to the app- this seldom works and has meant I'm left guessing what my shot looks like. Often cuts off video 5/10 minutes in due to loosing signal.
on 28 May 2015
Everything about this Gopro is brilliant, except the battery life, luckily you can buy batteries for this really cheap so if you do run out you've got back up!
review image