on 29 December 2013
As if this DVD needs a review! Watched this episode in theatres with fellow Doctor Who fans with their 'scientific instruments' whirring before the movie started and since I am a collector, (an amateur at that but still) I could not just sit and do nothing. So I pre-ordered it right away. Pre-orders are a thing I usually not bother about, but I could not wait to see it over and over again which made this an exception. It is that magnificent. Looks like the producers finally answered our prayers. I will not give any spoilers (not that it matters at this stage), but I will say that if you are not a Doctor Who fan, there are very high chances that you will immediately get hooked and become a 'Whovian' as they call it.

Product is amazing, with all the mini episodes preceding this one as well as a short behind-the-scenes with commentary from Colin Baker, the sixth doctor (haters will hate him but what the hell). Packing was excellent as usual and it arrived on time, no questions asked.

It is a timeless epic, just like the Five Doctors special and well worth the money. More so if you are a Doctor Who fan. Brilliant!
4 people found this helpful
on 11 December 2016
To me one of the best Dr Who episodes ever along with The Angels Take Manhattan. Clever, amusing, emotional and a pace that keeps you engaged throughout. It appeared to pull together a lot of the previous series and lay the foundation for the writers to go wherever they want (with the search for Gallifrey). The extras on the blu-ray are good if not extensive. Great price, great writing, great episode.
One person found this helpful
on 18 October 2014
I bought this because I like 3D as well as Doctor Who; have been a fan of the series since I was about 5 or 6 years old; and I missed seeing this in the cinema.

I didn't want to pay full price for this so I waited until it was about half that.

My hunch paid off. Okay I got the programme, in 3D, but that is all I got. No frills whatsoever.

The menu system is less than basic and it took a while to work out how to turn off the Audio sub text. It took a few minutes and several restarts but I eventually got the disc to play.

That's about all I can say about it really. There's nothing else. No extras. Not even those on BB3, if there were any. Just someone's copy from a Tivo basically, if it weren't for the fact it was in 3D.

If you bought it at £16, I pity you. I bought it at £6. So I'm happy because for what I got that is the most that I would expect to pay.

4 stars simply because I liked that episode of Doctor Who.
on 21 June 2014
I absolutely love this episode in the Doctor Who saga with the three Doctors, the comic timing of all three actors was spot on and it's one I absolutely recommend even if you're not an avid fan of the show. In my opinion it has the edge over The Time Of The Doctor, with the brief glimpse of 13th Doctor Peter Capaldi at the finale being the briefest yet most effective way to get us fans wanting more.
Now here's my gripe. I've viewed three copies of this dvd bought from different stores in Britain and there's one problem that persists. What have they done to the music soundtrack(Try watching it with headphones on to see what I mean)?
It begins with the opening shot of the original black and white Doctor Who visual effect where for some reason the music only comes out on the right hand side. Voices come out with no problem, though there is evidence of sound effects weakness from the left. Throughout the entire episode the more bass music is again over to the right which is a distraction, yet if you try the Audio Navigation these problems disappear. Why this wasn't corrected before they released it is astonishing. I haven't had this problem with any other Doctor Who dvds, so suggestions to adjust my audio settings (as one BBC Complaints Dept advised me when I finally got a reply) are pointless.
I understand the Blu Ray version also has audio problems. Come on BBC!! You charge us enough for these things, shouldn't you get them right before you sell them. Whoever was responsible for setting the audio for the dvd needs sacking!!
When it's shown on tv there are absolutely no problems.
I urge everybody who bought this dvd, and the Blu Ray if the problems are the same, to bombard the BBC with your complaints and let's get The Day Of The Doctor re-issued with all the audio and, if needed, visual mistakes sorted.
on 10 January 2015
I just relatively recently started watching Dr WHO. This is one of my favourites, watched a few times. One of very few things me and my partner can watch together :)
If You like Dr WHO -I recommend.
But If You want to watch it to make up Your mind about it and have not really been watching series before- this might not be the best ones to start with. I imagine someone who hasn't at least seen series with David Tennant and Matt Smith (if not the whole 50yrs history) might be lost here.
It will make sense if You watch series 2 - 7 first. Maybe throw 8 in here as well while You're on it ;)
I've seen them all thanks to amazon prime video streaming- Thank You amazon :)
on 5 June 2017
My middle son has watched this around 4-5 times and it is one of his most favorite Doctor Who movie's unfortunately it made his really sad when he found out John Hurt (The war doctor) died at the start of the year
2 people found this helpful
on 4 February 2017
great 3d in this with good amount depth and a very good story
3 people found this helpful
on 29 May 2017
I was expecting this episode to be in the season 7 or 8 box set but surprisingly it wasn't so you do have to buy this box set to see it

A nice story with a nice touch at the end
One person found this helpful
on 11 August 2016
This is amazing! Anyone who is a fan of Doctor Who will love it. Gallifrey is under attack, and if it falls there is little hope for the rest of the sentient universe. The Doctor must do something drastic; something so terrible that he can no longer call himself The Doctor. Billy Piper has a supporting role, but not with David Tenant. Has a fabulous ending.
on 27 August 2014
great special effects 3 good doctors to save the day the only let down for me was the ending all the hype about the war doctor leading up to this episode and why the doctor wants to forget that regeneration existed to all build up to flatline at the end no battle scenes with the darleks worth remembering. the christmas episode was 10x better than this 50th anniversary special. it got 4 stars from me for the fact you get 4 doctors for the price of one and the visual effects and the build up to the ending and loses the 5th star for the rubbish ending.