on 9 September 2015
This book is the account of Anne, Gilbert, and family after they had moved to Ingleside but when the children were still quite young. Bertha Marilla (Rilla) is born during this book. It is full of incident and poetic imagery in L. M. Montgomery's own style, and on the whole it is a happy book. There are some unhappy experiences, but good comes out of them. We read about young Jem wanting to go to the town to see someone being tattooed! Later on we see his love for dogs - and what comes of it. We read about poetic Walter, spending time with a family who tease him - and how he gets up in the night and walks home! Later on we read about the Ladies Aiders realising, with horror, that Walter has been listening to their conversation! We see Di, making friends with the wrong sort of girls - the girl with false tales of grandeur; the girl who fantasises about being ill-treated and who ends up telling lies about Di (and we see Di's scornful reaction!); We read about Nan's vivid imagination and its consequences - her idea that God wants her to walk round a graveyard at night, and, later, her fantasies about The Lady with the Mysterious Eyes. Then there is the time she thinks she was exchanged for another baby at birth! We read about how Rilla feels about carrying a cake! Then we read about Anne wondering if Gilbert still loves her and how that turns out. Throughout the book we see the children making up names of places and weaving imaginary stories around them, just as Anne did when she was young. And there is much, much, more! This is a great book, full of the fruits of L. M. Montgomery's great imagination.
on 28 December 2012
I think this is the last book of the Ann of Green Gables series. I understand she actually wrote nine books and I would love to find the others on eBooks.
This book deals with Ann's growing family, and I did think that it might be rather dull, however I needn't have worried, on the whole it bowls along at great pace, although there are times when it becomes a little repetitive. I was very sad when it came to an end.
on 19 September 2013
This book is one of the least popular of the end of Green Gables series, I think. And one can see why. It's a bit loose doesn't have much of a plot. But don't avoid it if you like Montgomery's books. It still written by Montgomery it's still a sweet and funny, it's still worthwhile.
on 29 March 2018
I LOVE the Anne books... so sad there aren’t more after this!
on 17 December 2017
Lovely books and great cover images.
on 30 June 2014
Lucy Maud Montgomery did write some interesting and wholesome books. I have liked the beginnings and also the endings of this book. I'm mesmerised by this Anne-girl and her stories. It is plausible some of them were true facts of life.
on 27 February 2018
Rereading the entire series from start to finish. Charming as ever - I hope children are still reading these books!
on 15 January 2014
I really enjoyed the continuing story of Anne Shirley. How she raised her children and the transition from Anne's story to that of her children's. Can't wait to hear more about her children.
on 25 August 2014
Cant wait to read the story as I've only ever read the first one.. this publication isn't as good quality as some other publishing companies. But good value for money.
on 15 April 2013
Anne is all grown up and mum of six! I bought this book to supplement the Anne collection on kindle as this one and Windy poplars are missing from the collection.