Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 September 2014
By a long long way this is the Shjips' best album so far.

More musical and with more distinct 'songs' than their previous outings, without loosing their very distinctive vibe.

As others have said it's 'cleaner' and 'crisper' and, if you like your rock on the psychedelic side, well worth a listen if you're not already a fan.

Fans of Danielle Dax, Laurie Anderson, and maybe even Pink Floyd, should dip a toe on land.

Enjoy!
on 24 March 2014
I'm in my 60's and this took me back to the Seventies, with a current day edge to it.
Enjoy, cheers Mike.
on 24 November 2013
Pretty pointless reading my music reviews, for all you know I've got a tin ear and a penchant for Engelbert Humperdinck. Listen to the clips and buy it if you like it.
on 29 December 2016
much enjoyed!
on 20 December 2013
I only discovered Wooden Shjips this year after hearing on 6 music. Liked the tunes and decided to investigate. I have an earlier ep of about 6 tracks (forgotten the name sorry).This album did not dissapoint. Stand out tracks Ghouls These Shadows Other Stars. Well worth checking out.
on 6 January 2014
Wooden Shjips are back with another pearl! Although less distorted noises this album is hypnotizing and stimulating as hell! Slower and more silent than before, but the songs are strong and magic. Will function both as low sound carpet and played loud on your stereo!
on 20 June 2014
This album works so well for me because of its powerful simplicity. There's a refreshing lack of complexity in every track. Simple chord structures, bass lines, organ and drums. No surprise that it was recorded lock, stock and barrel in 11 days. The production is crystal clear thus suiting my taste perfectly. A previous reviewer suggested that it might appeal to those who like The Velvet Underground and Hawkwind. I agree, every time I play it I think of VU and ironically I'm not a big fan however I'm thinking I ought to revisit their music.
The CD sleeve is all paper (card). No plastic, which is a good thing imo however the inner sleeve is difficult to remove from the outer sleeve. A minor frustration................................No, actually it's B***dy annoying.
Whoops, forgot to say, there's lots of mighty fine guitar contributions by Ripley Johnson.
on 28 June 2014
great album
on 4 March 2014
Only to Funsm or who is looking for something good to listen or to be the first WS record, ok, it will work, but who knows the band, it soinds like other records!!!