Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.69

on 27 February 2016
I know, that's a rather extreme claim, but listen to this album, and I think you'll agree. Johnny Flynn came to my attention when I watched Detectorists, his beautiful theme song prompting me to want to hold my husband's hand whenever I hear it! This album also provokes real emotion with the poetic lyrics. He is a young man who uses our language in a way that is rare these days, singing of "yellow melancholy" and "stout hearts" to music that is lyrical and feels oddly familiar on first acquainstance. My own favourites are 'After Eliot' and 'Einstein's Idea'
on 3 October 2013
Let's be clear from the start... This is not Easy Listening. There is very little of the catchy hooks and toe tapping whimsy of 'A Larum' (still my favourite) and 'Been Listening' in this album. 'Country Mile' requires a certain level of perseverance and investment from the listener and it repays that effort handsomely with high points like the beautiful, melancholic 'Time Unremembered', the lullaby 'Einstein's Idea' and the loud and raucous 'The Lady is Risen'

Johnny Flynn remains a remarkable song writer and an even more remarkable performer who has injected some much needed life into the British Folk scene. All three of his albums (four if you include 'Bag of Hammers') have shown a level of evolution in terms of style so you never feel like you are being underestimated and fobbed off with some 'going-through-the-motions' affair.

...and his voice is like honey and cinnamon.
on 2 September 2014
Great new album!

Johnny Flynn is one of the most talented and accomplished musicians at the moment. The new album is as amazing and enjoyable as his previous albums. There seems to be no limit to his talent and I can't wait to see him live again and for a following album too!
Johnny Flynn's name is one that seems forever linked to the rise of nu folk and the ubiquitous success of the all conquering Mumford and Sons now on "indefinite hiatus" and suffering a overtly vicious backlash. The latter are big lads and can look after themselves but Flynn has always deserved better. He is more in a traditional folk bracket owing debts to Martin Carthy and Richard Thompson, plus tapping into deeper English traditions. Not that this has stopped the inevitable sniping about his work with NME describing "Country Mile" his album number three "as rootsy as the Chelsea Flower Show". This judgement is way to harsh and while some of the lyrics on this new album are sometimes contrived there is some very lovely music contained herein. "The Lady is risen" is a nice horn infused song with a great Flynn vocal and base elementary power. Equally the title track is nearer to rock music than folk and powers along nicely. Unfortunately Flynn does overplay his rustic credentials. Thus "Murmuration" starts with the line "The grass is long in the valley my love and there we will go to lie" and doesn't get much better. Its one of those songs that conjures up images of a finger in the ear and too much warm beer, while a another track like "Einstein's idea" is just plain dull. Much better is the slow but gorgeous ballad "Time unremembered" a sad lament with the albums best lyrical content and the snappy jazz feel of "Fol-de-Rol".

All in all this album is good in parts but what it is does lack is the sheer exuberance and fun of his brilliant debut "A Larum". While we cannot expect Flynn to constantly recycle songs like "The wrote & the writ" and "Tickle me pink" the current set on this album leaves a nagging doubt that music which was once as fresh as a daisy is starting to sound a bit tired. There no doubt that Flynn has talent to spare but perhaps after three albums which have stayed close to the same formula now is time for a rethink and change of direction.
on 7 October 2013
Another brilliant album from the actor/musician.This is his best album to date in terms of songwriting and production.There is more variety in style but his uniqueness remains.He knocks out tunes for fun and his lyrics are always interesting.I love the line "I am the oldest man I know by now, I was the youngest yesterday". If you like any of his previous work you will love this.,highly recommended.
on 26 October 2013
When I first got this, I really didn't give it a chance. But over the last few day's it has really won me over. I'm writing this on a wet and windy morning in the west of Ireland and Country mile is about to get its 3rd play. If you are reading this and considering buying this, I can't recommend it highly enough. I never write reviews but felt compelled to add something. I love the fact that he plays so much of the instruments on this and even provides the backing vocals.
on 27 January 2014
It seems a bit formulaic at this point for each of the songs. Only a few songs stood out to me. Whereas with his other albums I could play them both all the way through without skipping a single track multiple times.

Country Mile however has a few songs I frequently skip. "The Lady Is Risen" for example has so much promise from the intro, but then falls into a generic tune that gets a bit boring after the first verse.

I liked this album, but it could have been so much more. It feels overshadowed by Flynn's previous masterpieces.

But get it for yourself and decide! It's still a stellar album by all means!
on 9 October 2013
I love the new album! His song writing continues to impress me! His lyrics are just beautiful, some tunes are very catchy too. I particularly like After Eliot, Country Mile and Fol-de-rol so far but all the songs are good, those are just some favourites at the moment. It's what you'd expect from Johnny Flynn really, it's not dramatically different in style from his previous work but I think you can notice some slight changes and how he's developed over the years. Anyway if you like Johnny Flynn you'll probably like this album, and if you've never heard of him before you should give him a try! (also if you have the opportunity to catch him live I would HIGHLY recommend the going!)
on 2 December 2014
Slightly disappointed that the style of the tracks were not the same as his songs on "The Detectorists" as most were not accoustic, but as this was made last year, I suppose that is to be expected.
All in all a pleasant CD with some really good tunes
on 11 August 2015
Another fantastic album from this amazing singer. Arrived in good time and in perfect condition