Customer reviews

Desolation Rose
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2013
Against popular opinion, I reckon that 'Adam & Eve', 'Paradox hotel' and 'The sum of no evil' represent my favourite TFK period, though sadly, the last of these marked a temporary 'hold' on proceedings.

I would suggest that 'Desolation Rose' puts TFK back where they were with 'The sum of no evil', BUT, they haven't moved forward.

When I first heard this, it sounded like many of the band's musical ideas had been re-constituted from the albums mentioned above. Having heard it more, I'm probably TOO comfortable with it, because I'm not being challenged by it.

Against that, the band seems a tight unit once again, and the playing and production are top notch throughout. One nice bit is 'Resurrected Judas', which has a part that sounds similar to Genesis' 'Duke travels'.

I could suggest that the music is 'under-drummed', however I suspect that this is a deliberate ploy by Roine Stolt to emphasise where the creative input is coming from. This is a shame, because if a more attacking percussion were employed it could take the music up to another level. It perhaps exposes how the band differ from Genesis, where band member, Phil Collins' influence is clearly apparent. There's certainly space in the music for a more expansive drumming performance.

This is a good album, splendidly played by a band who, once again, seem right on the mark. The only drawback, for me at least, is the lack of new ideas.
on 28 January 2018
This is the last CD of The Flowers Kings in studio that is inferior to the previous one ("Banks of Eden"). He looks the most of the same, meaning there is nothing new. The version with the bonus disc saves the whole. Disc 2 is better than the album itself (disc 1). It is far from being one of the best albums of the band. I'd say that's just reasonable. Note 6.5.
on 24 January 2014
I'm a later arrival at the gardens of The Flower Kings but have delved well into their back catalog now.

For me this is right up there with anything they've produced so far, with a warm, uplifting melodies, complex time changes and a variety of songs.

They always seem to excel on the expanded tracks and Tower One is probably the best song on the album (at a modest 13 minutes).
on 21 February 2014
This is the first Flower Kings album I've purchased and I think I'll be buying more.
This is superb music, superbly played and produced. I especially enjoy the fourth side which is instrumental and in places just soars.
The double LP also includes the 2CD's of the album which means I get to put it on my iPod and listen to it in the car. More artists should do this in my opinion.
on 29 March 2015
I previously bought the banks of eden which i really like. I found this one a little disappointing and hard to get into. The production is very good but i found the songs a little boring.
on 12 February 2016
Very good CD. Something must have caused amazement as the style is far more direct than the previous CDs. I liked it very much. Symphonic rock really, great sound and excellent musicians.
on 2 December 2014
Item arrived,all in good order,thank you.
on 29 August 2016
Does anyone's second disc (bonus tracks) actually contain a different album by Steven Wilson?
on 22 July 2014
Excellent.
on 5 November 2013
Ok it seems the band have listened to my comments or something about using new timbres in their music and using new ideas because the last couple albums did just sort of sound very similar in overall timbre and style and a bit predictable this album however they have done away with the overly symphonic and replaced it with something mysterious inventive and adventurous like old times the whole album is actually one song as I understand it. While it is unmistakeably the flower kings they have gone out on a limb to juice it up, te guitars sound more raw the keyboards sound more ugly and the drums are more aggressive and the bass is less widdly and more basic the vocals are performed as always with great theater and the whole album is just brilliant. I can't wait to hear what else they come up with for the next album until then this new album will sit happil with the rest of their Exemplary discography