Customer reviews

I probably read this book for different reasons from most people.

I am not particularly interested in writing short stories, but I like to read them. Except when on holiday, it is difficult for me to find time to read a full length story these days.

I have often wondered why similar stories in the same genre differ in their reading pleasure for me, and I thought that a little knowledge from an acknowledged professional might shed some light. And it certainly does!

Although not too long in itself, it is packed with common sense information, and some surprising, but well-explained insider advice.

I used to think that the main difference in reading pleasure might be in the quality of the descriptive content and, while I still think that this may play a part, I can understand why it can be overdone, and that creating good, strong and believable characters is a number one priority.

Rob Parnell explains that ‘personality, place and plot – and knowing how to effectively combine these elements’ is an important key.

There is also a section giving tips on how to actually get a short story published, but this was not my main interest. The rest was most interesting to me as a reader/critic.
on 23 May 2017
usefull read
on 24 May 2017
Good
on 8 June 2014
This book certainly can provide a starter for ten. I think that any body that purchases such a book and imagines that it would provide the key to the creative door would be ill founded in that belief. There is no east way to write any story. THERE IS GRAFT, THAT IS IT IN A NUT SHELL. I didn't purchase this book thinking I was on my way. it was in expensive and perhaps could provide a different slant to others already come across. That was my reasoning for purchasing it. I would just warn any prospective purchaser to read the description before jumping right in and perhaps purchasing it blind.
on 23 May 2016
I previously read Rob's novel writing book and while I haven't managed to write a novel yet, it did inspire one or two short stories so I thought I'd focus on that. This book gave me what I expected: a motivating pep talk and a straight forward technique to get you writing productively. I'm finding the techniques challenging but effective. There is a lot more to writing stories than this book covers but it gets you started and keeps you going!
on 26 January 2014
As someone who is trying to get my head straight so that I can write interesting stories I found this book useful and I have come away with a strategy and plan I can use to create them. There are so many books on writing. This one strips out all the theory and hard to grasp, conepts for those new to fiction writing, like me. If you want to start writing short stories quickly buy this book. A no nonsense guide written in plain English.
on 26 January 2014
This book is short and succinct just like a short story should be. The author is great in getting some valuable techniques and ideas across. I am glad I read this book.
on 8 June 2015
Good advice, for all authors beginning their journey into writing for an audience - it makes sense
on 17 April 2016
It's well written - as you'd expect - and has some good insights into what stops you from writing.
on 5 June 2016
Easy to read. Some good tips on writing. I did all the little exercises and enjoyed them.