Customer reviews

The Decca Tapes
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 17 August 2013
This is a product that will appeal strongly to confirmed and dedicated Beatle fans, as these are recordings the group (with Pete Best on drums) made nearly a year before their first official release of the Love Me Do single in October 1962

I am very impressed with the sound quality on this vinyl version of The Decca Tapes. Considering the performances are raw takes and the limited studio time that was given over to this early incarnation of The Beatles, this is a very presentable set of recordings from January 1962. It is certainly the best sounding version of these historic recordings that I have heard. They will never be audiophile quality but I must praise Doxy Records on this release.

This release is on heavyweight 180g vinyl. My copy is completely flat, the spindle hole is central and the vinyl is without any non-fill issues, which seem to plague so many heavy pressings at the moment. The inner sleeve is poly lined and the cover is laminated. It feels like a quality package. The liner notes on the back sleeve are very well written and present a deliberate "historical fiction" of the recordings. They are very amusing.

It is also a massive bonus to get a CD version too. I wouldn't hesitate in getting this product. I am not sure to what extent the run is limited but as a massive Beatle fan, I would advise other fans to get this as soon as possible.
19 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 25 July 2016
An excellent album, which contains all 15 original songs played by The Beatles at their 1962 Decca Audition. Available here in far better quality than any previous bootleg version of this studio recording, this album includes previously unreleased songs, including Love Of The Loved, Take Good Care Of My Baby, and September In The Rain . My copy now resides quite appropriately in my Beatles (Vinyl) Mono Box Set. An absolute must for Beatles' fans !
One person found this helpful
on 9 October 2013
I bought it mainly for the CD (I haven't got a record player these days). Loved every track I am a Beatles fan and it fully lived up to my expectations. Haven't taken the vinyl out of its packaging but it feels sturdy enough just like the last reviewer commented a high quality product. My collection is almost complete, just waiting for part 2 of the BBC live series due in November
5 people found this helpful
on 27 July 2017
The Beatles Decca Tapes. This is a great album, the quality is brilliant! Any Beatles fan will love this in there Beatles collection! My version came with a free CD as well! : Very happy with this buy! :-)
on 12 August 2017
Great recording from the very beginning. The quality is quite all right, considering the means then. Am very happy with this purchase
on 9 June 2018
ok
on 17 March 2018
A . O . K. Great.
on 5 January 2014
... and still worth a listen for anyone else. Good quality recordings too. It is worth it just to get the tracks that they did not record for EMI.
on 1 June 2017
a nice collection of early nostalgia great songs and well reproduced
on 10 April 2014
very good worth it great service if you like the Beatles its worth getting great value as well. Beatles fan! get it.