Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 7 September 2017
Rebel springs carries on straight after the events of falling kingdoms and carries on with each chapter concentrating on a particular character. With her father and sister both dead and king guis taken over her kingdom Cleo is desperate to take back her kingdom and discover what the mysterious answers her ring may hold, Lucia is in a coma after using her magic to allow her father to conquer cleos kingdom, king guis is plotting to conquer all of mytica and Magnus is trying to get through his arranged marriage to Cleo. All of the elements that i loved in book 1 are all also in place for book 2. There are many twists and turns some you will probably guess where as others you will never see coming. This was another wonderful installment of the falling kingdoms series and I can't wait to see what unfolds next.
on 5 September 2017
I didn't give book 1 a 5* review because although it was good and made me want to read more - it didn't have that wow factor. This book on the other hand really does!
I found it a little slow to start with but I truly think that was because I read 3 other books after Falling Kingdoms so it took me half hour or so to get into this one. After that I tore through the book in about 2 days. Am utterly hooked on this series now and just bought the next two books. I can't wait to see where the character storylines go and consider myself now to be a lifelong fan of Falling Kingdoms.
on 9 February 2016
This was epic, simple as that. Yet again I want to shake myself, why didn’t I read this series sooner? It’s utterly amazing and is quickly become a favourite, so much action, adventure, fantasy, magic and characters that I cannot stop talking about, a few poor people can attest to that!

“It didn’t really matter who someone was, princess, peasant, rebel, or just a boy or a girl.”

Princess Cleo is now a prisoner of war; she continues to be controlled by the Blood King and with no other options she must be his puppet. She's able to come up with great schemes and escape plans but she’s forever brought back to square one, outmatched and outwitted by the tyrannous King Gaius. However the end of this book has provided a little light at the end of the tunnel for Cleo so I only hope that she takes this chance and gets her much-needed and deserved revenge.

“A gown does not make a bride, just as a few empty threats do not make a rebel.”

Rebel leader Jonas got a load more page space, which I’m sure, produced many a girl including myself to squeal with excitement. After the events of Falling Kingdom’s Jonas is left with little to nothing, his people are being enslaved left, right and center and the Blood King now reigns over the whole of Mytica. He knows he must stop this but with few rebels, his brother’s murderer still going unpunished and little hope left, how much damage can a few boys do? With the weight of the world on his shoulder’s Jonas grows up, makes mistakes but these ultimately make him stronger, I cannot wait to see what becomes of him in Gathering Darkness.

“There was no hope in death, only an end.”

Magnus is still tormented over his sister Lucia’s rejection but what started as a Prince being betrayed, heartbroken and manipulated by his father gave way to so much more. With his eyes finally open as to how malicious his father actually is, Magnus forges his own plans and he may just be the dark hero who will take this series by storm. Magnus is such a complex character; I was fully prepared to write him off as a classic villain in Falling Kingdom's but my opinion of him changed throughout the book and before long his chapter’s became my favorite. How did this happen? What is happening!

“Darkness will always try to extinguish the light. The light will always try to repress the darkness.”

Lucia makes little appearance in this book, which was completely fine by me. She has no control over her magic and I didn’t want to read about her eternal struggle mastering her new gifts. However we didn’t get this at all, instead her character is becoming much more intertwined with another’s fate. Lucia’s chapters were short and sweet and they slowly made me want more of them, Gathering Darkness looks like it's going to feature a lot more Lucia and I’m ready for them.

This book slowly introduced new characters and a whole other world but it was done perfectly, you are given time to adapt to this new dynamic and to decide if the character in question is good or evil… some remained a question mark for me but I loved the mystery. Now for a High Fantasy series that has little romance in it, it sure does take advantage of those small, seemly insignificant scenes. My god, I spend the better part of a day on the edge of my seat counting down the endless chapters until I could find out what exactly what going on between characters and what is brewing between others. Some of my ships seem to be sinking but I don’t seem to care because the potential one of the horizon is so tempting? Prepare for a lot of change in this book, nothing is at it seems!

“She gripped the front of his shirt. It was all too much--she wasn't sure if she was pushing him away or pulling him closer. Much like diving into deep water, she had no idea which way would find her air to breathe or which way would drag her down deeper into the depths where she would surely drown. And for a moment, just a moment, she found it didn't seem to matter.”

I have a really big feeling that Rebel Spring is yet again another stepping stone to a much bigger plot and world in the Falling Kingdom’s series and I can’t wait to find out what Rhodes has in store. I loved this book so much more than Falling Kingdom’s and as I’ve said before, this series is only just getting started so I’m now staring at my copy of Gathering Darkness because I just had to buy it the minute I finished this. So much revenge to come, ships to sail, blood to spill and magic to be unleashed, what am I waiting for?

For more reviews visit: [...]
on 9 December 2016
Whilst I enjoyed Falling Kingdoms I didn’t feel overly attached to it, but gosh this book really got me going. I hate when they put on the covers “if you liked blah you will like this” because often it just sets high standards, but this is honestly reminiscent of a YA version of Game of Thrones. There’s so much blood spilled, you can’t get attached to any characters because god knows who’s gonna cark it next.

I really enjoyed the character development of this book. I felt like I was actually beginning to understand the characters and their motives. At this point I’m desperate to see where the plot actually goes, because I can see the plots beginning to form and I’m excited. Every character is complex, which I think I’ve mentioned in past reviews of high fantasy as being something which is difficult, as it is. I’ve dabbled in writing myself and I found it really quite difficult to have a cohesive personality for each character that didn’t end up meshing together. You have people like Magnus who, I personally like despite him being a bit of a knob head because I can just tell from the way he’s written that there’s more than meets the eye.

I liked reading Magnus and Cleo’s chapters best, I feel like most of my intrigue came from what they would be doing. I don’t care for Lucia, something about her is fishy to me, and Jonas is just a bit of a plonker really.

I wrote a note to myself about someone being gay in this, and I had to remind myself so it’s obviously not a huge part of the book but it has the potential to be, and you know I’m all about that lgbt+ representation especially in fantasy books. For some reason in the fantasy genre it always seems to be some sort of middle aged kind of world where people are only allowed to be straight. What I would absolutely adore is a fantasy book something like this or Lord of the Rings or Throne of Glass, where it feels more like a less developed time period but with really open minded laws about sex. I think that would be really cool.

Something that popped out to me in this book was how we get to see the change over of a crown. It’s not often that you see what happens before and after a big fight, most of the time the crazy ruler is already in place, so it was interesting to see what the people of the countries and the higher ups did. Whether they lied to stay alive or just went about their lives as if nothing had changed.

All in all a good second book, I’ve heard that the series just gets better as it goes on so I can’t wait to read the rest.
on 14 January 2014
This book is incredible, and I'm so blown away by Morgan Rhodes's style and how she makes each land of Mytica so vast and lush and unique. I'm in love with this series.
on 1 January 2014
I couldn't put this book down it was that amazing!!! Cannot wait till the third book!! Love Cleo and Jonas!!
on 19 April 2016
An amazing electrifying read! Worth every penny :)
It is also much better than the first book. It finally brings characters together.
Can't wait to read the next one!
on 17 May 2016