Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 January 2014
Ever since I first purchased Markus Schulz's previous city series - Los Angeles '12 - I have eagerly been waiting for this album. Markus offers a unique mix full of dark, moody bass and soft intricate melodies that other compilations just can't match. It has it's own atmosphere, like a brewing storm and the mix gives the excitement of just an occasion. It's the trademark of most of Schulz's city mixes, and I for one absolutely love it. The track selection is always spot on and here is the key ingredient - most tracks are exclusive to the ColdHarbour record label. This is definitely a label I will be keeping tabs on in the future as it offers emotion and ambience, something lacking in the house/trance genre at the moment. The only other label I enjoy is Anjunadeep for similar reasons.

My only criticism is that there are one or 2 tracks on both discs that are bit too 'electro', and this isn't anything to do with musical taste either (most of LA'12 was electro styled and i loved it), they just don't fit very well with the rest of the mix and spoil a little of the tension and atmosphere previously mentioned. All in all though, definitely worth the wait!

On another note I would just like to briefly talk about maximising this listening experience. I have talked about this album having 'atmosphere' and I find this is a word I use to describe excellent mixes like this. That ability to just hook you from the first beat and leave you in a state of trance for nearly 2 hours is a wonderful euphoric experience I always look forward to when I listen to compilation mixes. Unfortunately, no matter how good the mix is, compressing CDs into AAC/MP3 format breaks those seamlessly joined tracks into individual snippets with an ugly pause in between which ultimately ruins the flow and takes you out of that 'zone'. A heavy price to pay for just wanting the music on a portable device. The only way around this is to simply listen to the original CD on your laptop/CD player (if your old school) or construct yourself a single MP3 file consisting of all the tracks using specialist software (such as Sony Vegas). So I would like to thank Amazon for offering a free MP3 download of a 'CONTINUOUS DJ MIX' for each CD, a great idea if you ask me. Now I can enjoy the mix the way it should be listened to without the inconvenience of having to listen to the CD or buy expensive software, giving me the joy to listen to it in its integrity wherever I go, hassle free. Brilliant! Unfortunately though not all purchases include this deal but I would urge Amazon to include this offering with all compilation mixes because it is an excellent alternative to listen to the music the way it should be - uninterrupted and continuous.

So I suggest you purchase this CD, then download your free MP3 continuous mixes to enjoy whilst you wait for the album in the post. The MP3s are decent quality too at 256kbps (maximum CD quality compression is 320kbps).
on 15 June 2015
I've been listening to Trance music for 15 years and this has to be one of the best Trance albums ever. For lovers of Trance this has everything you need! This is loud, atmospheric perfection. Just buy it. Seriously.
on 22 November 2013
Markus Schulz don't need to say anything else my fav DJ after seeing him at Creamfields 2013 and all his other stuff. I have waited so long for this album it is untrue and it seriously does not disappoint I have listened from start to finish love it so so much.So much better than Tiesto and Ferry Corsten.
on 22 November 2013
This cd was very good and it was lovely. I may of liked a bit more singing in it but was a great listen and defiantly one for the car
on 11 July 2015
good
on 9 September 2014
luvd it it a little less than previous MS productions