on 30 January 2014
I was totally gripped from start to finish. Likeable main characters in Morton and Juliette and sympathetic and believable treatment of his personal story line. Relevant historical information was presented well without being "textbooky". I enjoyed the switches from past to present and the twists and turns along the way. Unusually for me I didn't work out "who done it". I understand Morton's obsessive compulsive attitude to his research but found some of the situations he got himself into rather far fetched. I hope there's another Morton Farrier book, if not a series, in the pipeline - but get the proof reading sorted!
on 5 February 2014
This book caught my eye on the Kindle special deal page as I have never heard of a forensic genealogist. I decided to "look inside the book". By the time I got to the end of that section I was hooked, so purchased it immediately in order to continue reading. I continued to read (no breaks), until I had finished the book, it's that good.

There were one or two spelling mistakes, but not enough to detract from the story. If you like blood and guts with your thrillers, you probably wouldn't like this book, but If you like a good mystery, and an intriguing somewhat different plot you will probably enjoy it as much as I did.

The story has some interesting twists and turns right up to the end.
on 26 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book, which had a VERY strong story line. My only criticism is that it needed serious proof reading. For instance it was said that a character "ordained" to look at the hero when the word should have been "deigned". Had the story not been so strong I would have stopped reading right there. But the story was great.
on 12 January 2014
This book was recommended to me so I thought I'd give it a go.... unlike some of the similar-themed books I've been pointed at, I found the hero very likeable, no bad language or gratuitous violence. The puzzle was immediately engaging & kept me hooked all the way through, reading the whole thing in only 2 sittings (don't usually get that amount of time to sit & read!)
I found the linking up of the ending a bit of a stretch of the imagination but it was very enjoyable & I look forward to Mr Goodwin's next instalment.
on 13 February 2014
An interesting yarn, but spoilt by mistakes and the immature, laddy smugness of the principal character. Both are rectifiable.

There are a great many errors due to homophones. "A whole hoard of people stood behind the... barricade". "She lent casually on the doorframe". "She lent in to peck him on the cheek". Other mistakes seem careless, such as "They moved down the passageway until it terminated at a perpendicular, slightly wider corridor. Perpendicular commonly means upright. Morton expresses an abhorrence 'all signing, all dancing' funerals. Should the author have got it right, it would still be an inappropriate expression. However, since the mourners went on the to crematorium, perhaps the author really meant 'all singeing all dancing'. The trouble is that these mistakes pull the reader back into the real world.

The author consistently uses the word 'like' in the sense of 'as if'. ".... saying the word dad like he was speaking in tongues." I might feel like a hamburger but I do not necessarily feel hot and greasy.

Quoting the web addresses in the text might be helpful but would be better in an appendix.

The hero's experience of Christians seems strange. A group dressed in uniform yellow t-shirts with a red fish logo on the breast pocket? It seems as if they might have been those brave people who go out at night helping largely female clubbers by giving them flip-flops, water, counsel and so on. It seems harsh to include them in the plot just to express prejudice.

More care might have achieved four stars.
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2013
A book with a really interesting storyline with loads of unexpected twists and turns. It certainly kept me guessing, with everything in the mix to make it a real page turner.
on 30 October 2013
Throughly enjoyed this book, couldn't put it down an excellent read and would recommend to anyone with an interest in genealogy or history. Very Good!!
on 26 February 2014
I bought this after a recommendation on a forum but was sadly disappointed. The story is lame and quite often, not credible. The author needs to either a) learn to proof read or b) sack the one he employed for this book. The mistakes are shocking in number. The tag of the main character being a professional genealogist who doesn't know his own heritage has already been done by Steve Robinson who has written 3 books in a series and has resisted revealing any major clues which allows him to develop this storyline in the future. Sadly, Mr Goodwin dives in with both feet and we find out the gory detail of exactly what our hero's big problem is. I won't reveal what it is just in case you do start to read the book.
If you like genealogy based mysteries, there's lot better out there more deserving of your attention than this rubbish.
on 29 January 2014
This book had a good storyline with references to genealogical research facilities, and problems encountered with this type of research, all adding to the plot. Morton too is a very believable character. A great read.
on 4 February 2014
The premise of this book is sound and interesting but poor writing skills let it down. Inconsistencies in the first fifty pages of the plot are irritating (our protagonist is given a can of beer but within a few sentences it transforms into a bottle of beer) and poor sentence construction produces some unintentional howlers: 'Morton found a parking space beside the Sedlescombe Post Office and stepped out onto a tidy, triangular village green, wearing dark shorts, white t-shirt and sun glasses.' Who edited this book?