on 29 April 2016
An unusual hybrid of genealogy and record checking plus amateur detective stuff makes ‘Hiding the Past’ a worthy page turner for a holiday week. Anyone who loves family tree research, and a good crime novel, will like this with its narrative stretching from World War Two to present-day politicians.
Within days of taking on a new client, genealogist Morton Farrier knows this case is different: one, his client pays a fee of £50,000 straight into his bank account; two, the client shoots himself in the head. Or does he? Helped by his girlfriend Police Community Support Officer Juliette, Farrier studies the background of his, now dead, client, Peter Coldrick, a study which leads him to two key years: 1944 and 1987. Official records for Coldrick’s descendants have mysteriously disappeared, Morton is being followed by a glossy black 4x4, and it may be his imagination but a usually helpful archives officer is proving difficult to pin down.
Morton is an interesting character, adopted, rubbing along awkwardly with his widowed adoptive father and soldier brother, quick with a sharp word whilst knowing he should be kinder and hating himself for it. I also liked the clear drawing of his setting around the Kent & Sussex towns and villages of Sedelscombe, Rye, Tenterden and Lewes, an area I lived in and loved, Goodwin makes them feel real on the page. This is the first of, at the time of writing, four Morton Farrier novels, so expect to read more about Morton’s own adoption story in future books.
on 28 November 2013
A gripping tale of cat and mouse within two families with a bit of a twist and a cliffhanger thrown in. Enjoyed the references to archives and the obsessive compulsive addiction of the researcher on the trail of the truth. I would recommend this to professional and amateur genealogists as well as anyone who enjoys the adventures of a super sleuth detective.
on 30 October 2013
Well done Nathan. Another brilliant book....gripping from start to end. I can't wait for number two.
check out short story 'a very old man' too, another great read.
on 9 May 2016
Not bad. Quite a few twists and turns. Although it was relatively easy to predict the outcome, I didn't guess the end with Finlay and his mother. I did feel that the role of a PCSO was made a bit too much of and also would have expected the surgeon to have had words with family after conducting major heart surgery rather than a nurse.
on 12 December 2013
I couldn't put it down! I love the way the book goes from the past to the present without being over complicated. The extra twists and turns at the end of the book were a surprise and not predictable. A must-read!
on 4 December 2013
I have never read this genre before but have been very pleasantly surprised. Super characterisation and great plot. A real page turner. My book group loved it too! I look forward to Goodwin's next book.
on 3 May 2016
Morton Farrier genealogist and unwilling detective solves a mystery including murder, bombings, country houses, Nazis and corrupt politicians. And on the way discovers the secret of his own family history.
Gripping story, I was hooked til the end! Can definitely see me reading more of Morton Farrier.
on 21 January 2014
I love reading a book that is set in an area that I know. This is such a gripping story and the characters are very likeable. The pace is fast and I was sad when I had finished the book. I'm looking forward to a follow up.
on 29 March 2014
Liked the ideal of the story,some of the situations are a far fetched which lead to me only rating the book four star.
on 21 January 2014
Beware this book is addictive, I found that once I had started reading it I had great difficulty putting it down.