Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 April 2014
Review

My first taste of Chris Kuzneski’s work was last years The Hunters , I’m always on the lookout for another great thriller writer, James Rollins, Andy McDermott and co can only turn out so many books a year, after that its the cheesy end of the market, the Dan Brows etc. So finding that the Hunters was not just good, but brilliant was as much a relief as it was a revelation.

In book two “The Forbidden Tomb” we see the return of the excellent, multi-layered and utterly human characters created in book one. A complex team, compiled from each needed skill set for the first mission, and just as apt for this new mission. As such we are treated to another search for the impossible, a hunt to find something lost and no real clues to its location, in this case the Tomb of Alexander the Great. But as i have come to expect in any book of this type, all is not what it seems. Why has the tomb never been found? Why are there so few clues? Is someone protecting the history of Alexander and his Tomb? Who? What? Why? I love the stream of unknown. Read the book and find out! (i cannot give any more away)

For me i found the story breathtaking (i’m a huge fan of Alexander the great and stories about him). The plot isn’t just a balls out action thriller, it has more intelligence than that, it has the ability to keep you guessing all the way to the end. This book has so many twists and turns you just don’t want to put the book down. I think this is the first book in years that has made me physically sit bolt upright and exclaim out loud “No F….ing way!” I take my hat off to you sir, that part of the plot took real balls, i was shocked, surprised, amazed, appalled and yet transfixed by the incident with Jasmine.

This book is truly an action packed thinking man (or woman)'s thriller, with a plot that spans the centuries and is packed with more surprises than is good for the heart. Loved it, and already cannot wait for the next one. I really do promise to make time to read the Payne and Jones series, which if its even half as good, is going to be worth making the time to read.

Highly recommended

(Parm)
on 19 May 2014
I love the stories this author tells. How he manages to do all his research and still write are beyond me. This book is really detailed. It tells a wonderful fictional story. The characters become friends. I have laughed with them, recoiled with them, even felt their pain at times. I have definitely been amazed with them and I have cried with them. A fabulous book worth reading although it may take over your life for a day or two. Can't wait for the next one.
on 15 July 2014
I have to admit to being a fan of Chris Kuzneski. He picks out real historical characters and weaves fascinating and believable stories around them. This book is no exception. The story is exciting and very fast paced and just when you think it is coming to a conclusion there is yet another twist. Kunzeski clearly researches his subject extremely well which, of course, makes the stories even more convincing. There are no silly historical errors and there is a good balance between the "goodies" and the "baddies" and some inbetween you can't be too sure about.
So for people who like exciting and fast moving thrillers and haven't come across Chris Kuzneski the Forbidden Tomb will make a first rate start.
on 5 May 2014
The Forbidden Tomb is the second in The Hunters series to feature an elite group comprising Jack, leader, ex major in the US Army; Sarah, CIA trained spy and security expert; Jasmine, Academic and Historian; Josh, ex marine, sniper and weapons expert and Hector the Hacker. All experts in their field and all willing to do what it takes to locate their goal -- the Tomb of Alexander the Great -- one of the most brilliant military minds in history.

The group have an ancient map which they believe can guide them to the whereabouts of the tomb in Alexandria and this is where they start their exploits.

As the story unfolds the group realise that some people will do anything to stop them from discovering the tomb, whether they have to kill one person or hundreds, they don't care.

The book features reams of historical facts about Alexandria, Egypt and Alexander, some of which did drag on a bit but, in some ways, it was essential to the story to know these details.

There was little depth to the characters apart from one of them.

The story had all you would expect from an adventure novel, ancient mysteries, violent deaths, underground tunnels, lies and deceit, psychopaths, explosions, violence, shocks and twists.
on 29 December 2014
Disappointed with this book, especially considering I'm a big fan of the author and have read a few of his books. My biggest issue is nothing really happens to warrant such a thick book. It's takes 200 pages to get into any kind of action, then another 100 pages before another set piece. Inbetween there's tons of dialogue and long boring history lessons, most of which you wonder why the hell it's there as it's not story critical. I honestly believe an author like Matthew Reilly would have covered this books story in about 50 pages.

I can't recall the first 'Hunters' book being this rammed with dull history.

There seems to be literally hundreds of adventure/action books with a history spin but this one is the most boring I've read. I'll be wary of reading another Chris Kuzneski book - he seems to have lost his way a bit with this one - I prefer to stick to Matthew Reilly, Andy McDermott, Boyd Morrison for a hit of action/adventure.
on 8 February 2015
Thought this a lot better than the first book although sometimes did find it a little boring and wanting to skip pages but didn't incase something I needed to know regarding the story. Good plot quite interesting in some parts and very surprised at the ending, I possibly will read Chis's next book but would like it to go at a bit faster speed. I don't give out spoilers just read intro to find the main gist of the story
on 18 May 2014
Having read the first in this new series i was really looking forward ti this sequel and I was certainly not disappointed. This time we see the team given a ancient map to enable the search for Alexanders Lost Tomb.The action is non stop with a number of twists and turns and a few shocks on the way. Great to see mention of Payne and Jones and their associates, I have a feeling we could witness a fantastic crossover novel in the future. Please hurry on the next in this fantastic series
on 17 May 2014
Chris Kuzneski takes you on a rollercoaster ride through history as well as packing in the punches. The characters are well drawn and easy to relate to, whilst having the skills to carry out the most brazen acts with ease. Weaving in characters from the Payne and Jones books adds an extra edge to the action.
Unlike Payne and Jones, Copeland is not exactly a good guy. He is the flip side, going after historical artefacts for his own ends without any concern for the human cost.
on 14 November 2014
It's one of the worlds biggest mysteries, where is Alexander the Great's tomb located? For two thousand years his tomb's location has remained unknown, many have looked, but none have found it, there's many a theory but none have been proven right. Now, there's new information, information that has given a huge lead on the location of the tomb. There's only one team that can follow the clues and find the location of the tomb, solving the mystery that has plagued Historians and History buffs for centuries.

The Hunters, our favourite elite group of many talents, assembled by an enigmatic billionaire to locate the worlds greatest treasures, are tasked with finding the tomb. They follow the clues to Egypt, and from then on...it's not exactly smooth sailing. There's a hostile group of...well....ninja's, determined to stop them, and they're not above destroying all the evidence linked to the tomb....or kidnapping a team member. Not to mention Sarah's contact in Egypt has an enemy who has decided that Sarah is the perfect way to get to him.

It all started as a treasure hunt, but it quickly becomes a rescue mission when hundreds are killed, a city is left in ruins and in all the chaos a team member is kidnapped, it's a race against time to save said member, before tragic consequences ensue.

*squeeeee* I LOVE THIS BOOK! Okay, when I was younger, I loved Alpha Force, and I know they where totally different to the Hunters, but this series really reminds me of an adult Alpha Force, but with treasure instead of random missions, you know? I seriously can't get enough of this series. It's everything I love, there's humour, action, adventure, quests, clues, history, ancient treasures, banter and everything that makes a book so fantastic. This is really a series that can be read again and again.

Although, I'm kind of pissed at the author for a certain event. And I know he knows what event I'm talking about! HOW COULD YOU!? *ugly sobbing* damn I didn't see it coming. Because you know, I was all "it'll be fine, it'll be aaaalll fine" and I really wasn't expecting it to be honest. That's the beauty of this book, the plot is nice and complex, there's lots of different threads, there's the whole thing with Simon, then the expedition in April, then our team following the clues and the rescue mission and so on, all woven in to one story so expertly that there's plenty of intrigue and you can't put the book down! There's loads of plot twists that I, for one, couldn't work out, so I found myself being pleasantly surprised, or totally shocked, or kicking myself for not realizing something.

I was trying to follow the clues, but I was in the same boat as the team, whatever they knew or thought, so did I, I had theories, but all where proven wrong. Which I actually enjoyed, because I hate being right when it comes to books and what's going to happen next! I myself don't know much about Alexander the Great and his tomb, and the book has clearly been well researched, I learned all about Alexander and his achievements and what happened when he died, and how the tomb became lost and the author presents a believable theory for the location of the tomb. Yes I did google after I finished reading, and I did learn it's thought the tomb is in a couple of locations, one of the front runners being the one the author mentions.

All this information is relayed to you in the right places in the story, at the right time, concisely, there's such a lot of information but it's included in the narrative so well, that it doesn't drag the fast pace down and while all of the information is relevant, it's actually interesting as well and not just there for the sake of it.

The setting was very vivid, I've never been to Egypt, it's on my to do list, but after reading this, I really got a feel for the place, and it's almost like I've been there, I could picture everything so clearly, and it was like I was there with the team, tagging along behind them! Everything is described so concisely, yet with enough detail to give you a mental snapshot, not to mention the atmosphere generated by the prose. It's a world you can really sink in to, and get wrapped up in the tension and the action and you don't want to leave the team at the end of it.

I love all the characters equally. Really. Seriously....I do....okay. So, MAYBE I might love Sarah a SMIDGE more than the others. Maybe. All of the characters are so colourful and full of depth, and each brings something different to the team, but they all work so well together despite the banter, which had me chuckling like a mad woman!

So basically, I really love this series, this book is perfection, history geeks are gonna love it, as are people who love a good clue trail, I mean Indiana Jones fans.....Alpha Force fans who are now older and historically inclined are gonna love this, I'd be here all day essaying why I love this book to be honest! I really can't wait for the next book, well I'm hoping there's a next book! I NEED MOOORRREE! ;)
on 14 January 2015
I enjoyed the first book in the series, so i was looking forward to the next one.
The story is well writen and paced, with interesting characters, looks like it's there is going to be more in the series.
I will certainly look out for them.