on 16 April 2017
What a fantastic account of a brilliant midwife giving her all to her mum's to be.

I just loved Virginia's way of dealing with those sometimes know it all - do it my way midwives!

Too posh to push mothers should read this wonderful account of how babies and mother's get the best experience of what nature intended!

I just loved this wonderfully written book.
on 22 August 2017
Better than anticipated
on 5 March 2017
An inspirational read! Couldn't put it down. Extremely insightful for anyone considering a career in midwifery. A must read. Thank you Virginia.
on 21 March 2014
What a fantastic and inspirational read. I sat and read it twice. Wonderfully written and truly empowering for women everywhere. It has given me more confidence about the upcoming birth of my little one!!
Looking forward to the next instalment Virginia!!!
on 20 May 2014
read it loved it just a fabulous book It flowed wonderful and I read it in one sitting couldnt put it down
on 30 September 2016
A modern call the midwife! Loved every second of it!

I loved every second of this book! I felt super inspired by Virginia and her passion for her work as a midwife. All women deserve the experience she gives in pregnancy and labour.
If you love call the midwife you will love this, it is a modern version of it.
Funny, heartwarming and at times heartbreaking. I can definitely see this being read over and over.
on 3 July 2014
Having been a past nurse and midwife myself I am always curious to read this type of material.
This book has been thoughtfully and expertly written by a clearly dedicated midwife. It was hard to put down and thoroughly captivating.
So why didn't I award it 5 stars...?
The reason is that Virginia clearly had a very negative time spent in NHS midwifery settings and other than a few good midwives acknowledged seemed to portray the rest of the 'Bison' in a very poor light. I do understand completely the characters she discusses having come into contact with a few very similar myself as a midwife!
However there is also an enormous amount of wonderful, caring passionate NHS midwifes who strive day in day out under tremendously difficult circumstances to give the 'Gold Standard' care we all WANT to give. I have worked in a busy Labour ward, midwife led unit and community setting within the same hospital and fantastically positive births are achieved every day. I myself had my first child and daughter in a pool in the hospital I worked at, followed by my son via Casearian section! Despite Virginia's claims that her workload covered all demographics I know with certainty that past women of mine would never in a lifetimes saving be able to afford Independent Midwifery as an option....
My concern with this book is if a nervous first time mum to be reads it she may become alarmed that if she does not employ herself an independent midwife she may well be left in a medicalised stuffy NHS room at the mercy of the 'Bison' !!
Whilst formidable characters, I have to say, that if my delivery was going 'titsup' one of those very experienced, matriarchal characters entering the room was a huge comfort!
As midwives I would hope we ALL want to achieve a positive natural and wonderful life affirming birth , and I just hope lovely mums to be aren' t spooked into thinking if they cross an NHS threshold that the scaplels not far behind!
on 20 May 2014
...and put it in the handbag of a young woman who hasn't started her motherhood yet. Should be required reading for every pregnant woman early on, captures birth in all it's wonderfullness. Written by a larger than life character, her love for her job and customers shines through every page.
on 12 July 2017
Brilliant book. Can't beat a good birth story. I laughed, cried & got a little jealous too.
on 9 May 2014
I loved this book, having had a rather traumatic experience with the birth of my first baby I chose an independent midwife with my second. Having battled to get the sort of birth I wanted being a VBAC I contacted Virginia at 38 weeks pregnant. I couldn't even talk about my first experience without crying. She was excellent and I gave birth to my second child in the birthing pool at home. A happy ending for me and I really hope that Virginia and others like her can continue to legally work with people like me.