on 19 September 2014
Firstly, I have no complaints about this typing software itself. it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin in terms of the teaching typing content. My beef, however, is this. The product description clearly says 1 PC licence, i.e that the software may only be used on one PC. Now that is a lot less generous than many other software products where the licence permits the buyer to use the product on up to three machines. But this one states only 1 PC, so fair enough.

What it doesn't say is that it is actually far more restrictive than that - not 1 PC but just one individual user. I bought Mavis Beacon so that several family members could all learn to type. But once I set up the user profile for one child, I could not find the management button with which to set up additional profiles. And nor did the instructions contained in the digital manuals that actually came with the product actually work. It was only when I contacted Avanquest technical support that I was informed that only one user profile was permitted on this "personal edition" and that if I wanted to create additional profiles, I would have to purchase the Deluxe Edition - at four times the price.

Had that been made clear at the outset, at least I could have made an informed choice. But now I am stuck with a product that is unsuitable for my family's needs, the realisation of which has caused much annoyance and deeply disappointed children. Hence the one-star review. The product description lies!

If you just want to buy this for yourself, then I can recommend this version, but if it is for your family then definitely not.
on 1 February 2014
This is an easy to follow, calming, patiently presented set of tutorials, it saves your work as you go, lets you stop and start as you can fit it in around everything else we try to do, and even teaches you how to stretch before your shoulders reach your ears. My typing has come on a pace and I am more confident at work.
Parcel arrived intact and on time.
Thank you.
on 20 April 2016
As a child, I was made to use Mavis Beacon to learn how to blind type.

Now I can type without staring at the keyboard and can type 80+ WPM. So I recommended it to my fiancee who equally wishes to learn to blind type.

I bought this one as it seemed to be the most recent.

It was overly complicated to use, the GUI (Graphical User Interface) looked dated and poorly constructed. The hard part was doing the first test, which my faincee, being a learner at blind typing, was told to do it over and over and over again. Perhaps we were using it incorrectly, but in that case I would argue that it's GUI is not user friendly either then. Thing is that it removed his interest entirely.

Mavis Beacon as I knew it in it's older dates, was simple, constructive, progressive but took your hand ever step of the way until you felt confident enough to take tests and challenges. This one starts with a test you have to succeed, that doesn't seem right as a lesson.
on 6 April 2014
It works on windows7, there are different modes to work on,from improving your speed to accuracy,for me it's a learning curve, my right hand : and L fingers need to get accustom to doing what it wants,only using it for four hours and my typing has already improved.
on 18 November 2014
I bought this because I originally learnt to touch type on a Mavis Beacon program.However, this edition simply didn't work on Windows 8.1. It loaded, but would only play the introduction. It seems that computers and their software have moved on, but Mavis Beacon hasn't.

I have purchased 'Professor' teaches typing from Getwise & Greenstreet and this works as far as the typing is concerned, but the games don't work. It seems that the software manufacturers can't be bothered to update their products.

I guess we'll just have to learn to touch type without them.
on 1 November 2015
This is a very good tool to teach typing even for someone like myself who has bern a 2 finger keyboard operative for many years. I believe it will take me more than the 8 hours mentioned on the cover but I will get there and I am enjoying the challenge!
on 5 February 2016
Great for single user. The software is for Windows XP and my PC runs Windows 7 Ultimate. Once I tick the Compatability Mode to 'Windows XP' it works perfectly fine under my Windows 7 Ultimate. No problem at all.
on 9 November 2013
First off, this is NOT a new piece of software. It must be a re-release. The box emphasises it 'works with XP' and it's clear upon loading it the graphics are quite a few years old. It works fine on Windows 7 and it does its job so I'm happy enough with it at the price but I think Amazon should be pointing out it's actually a rather old piece of software you'll be using. Perhaps they are as deceived as I was.
review image
on 2 October 2014
If you need to learn to type this is a great course. OK her voice is a bit tedious, and grates but you can turn her off / down. I am making progress but this is more a reflection of me rather than the course. It is very good
on 14 April 2014
I have never bought anything like this before as a self taught product.. If I can do it anyone can ..and i'm nearly 60..... its easy to use and I'M improving day by day. . they have very good practice pages and as an absolute novice this is perfect. after just under 2 hours of using it i am able to type without looking.. Make mistakes but hey iv'e only just started.. THANKS A LOT . I'm a very happy bunny...