on 2 October 2013
For the last couple of years the British have won the Tour de France a feat unimaginable only a short time ago. Not only have we beaten the French at their national sport, now we have ousted them from the top spot in the foodie stakes. Leading the charge is the unlikely and rather self effacing figure of Matt Feroze who won the Champion de France, Concours National des Fromagers this year. To you and I it means that he really is a big cheese. In fact the biggest. In a highly competitive and xenophobic world, a Brit has, again for the first time, taken top spot.
His story of transformation from an accountant at the National Audit Office to a world of fromage is absorbing. He has done what so many dream of doing...upping sticks and following his true ambition, which in his case is a vision of cheese. What his cholesterol is like I have no idea but his loving descriptions of the seemingly endless varieties of cheese got my taste buds tingling. Like any journey we learn a lot on the way, on how to care for, present and nurture a cheese. They are not merely lumps of curdled milk to him, they are living breathing organisms, his babies which, at times, he reluctantly sent off to market. An enjoyable education and a fascinating journey.
on 13 September 2013
Fascinating account of how Matt Feroze - an auditor at the NAO - realised his ambition of learning about cheese by working for one of the top French cheesemongers (Mons, at their shop in Lyon), even winning the "Champion de France" competition. This is his first book and there were a few points (especially the opening chapters) where I felt his editor could have improved the flow, but overall it was well-written and a very informative and enjoyable read. I bought the book after hearing the author speak at the Watermill Book Club and look forward to hearing about his future successes in the cheese world.
on 14 October 2013
For a first foray into writing, Matt Feroze achieves a happy balance between information for cheeseophiles of every stripe and relaxed travel writing - a brilliant Christmas gift. His determination to 'follow the dream' jumps off the page. Having heard Matt speak on BBC radio, one can only hope we shall have more offerings - in print and in person - from someone who is so passionate about his subject.
on 23 April 2014
Absolutely loved this book. Incredible story, very well-written. I was laugh-out-loud funny too! Matt Feroze makes this such a pleasant, enjoyable, light read. I couldn't put it down. It goes into just enough detail on all the things that need it. I hope to be a cheese connoisseur someday, so of course the content was interesting to me, however, I think almost anyone would enjoy this fun book. Highly, highly recommended!
on 28 January 2014
If you read only one book about food this year, make it this one. Matt loves cheese and has written a very entertaining and informative book about his journey to France and his work in the cheese trade. It's quite illuminating and he throws in a good slice of his home and family life to liven up the narrative.
I wish him well in all his cheesy endeavours and hope he had put his accountancy days behind him, except for using his skills to keep on top of the cheese budget. This book is also written very well and has been expertly edited. I just wish my home county cheese , Lancashire! was better appreciated in France!
I am concerned for his cholesterol level though.....
on 28 September 2013
Like all great cheeses Matt Feroze's creation is a truly artisianal product in which the end result is a delightful combination of every step in the process. Matt's journey originated in the weekend passions of an auditor in London, with an extensive and detailed affinage process through the goat farms of Provence and the cheese 'caves' of the Rhone-Alpes, before being expertly finished in the renowned fromagier Mons of Lyon. It draws you in initially with the promise of sharp rosbif-auditor-turns-french-cheesemonger notes but soon develops into a much fuller, detailed and more satisfying taste of the fascinating French cheese world with the texture and depth of flavour that is clearly the product of a real labour of love.

It finishes with a great crescendo on the palate, at the Concours National des Fromagers. I won't spoil the surprise but again like a good Brillat-Savarin it leaves you wanting more!

Goes well with red wine, grapes and a cracker (and maybe even a small piece of fourme de Montbrison).
on 29 January 2014
an excellent book for a train journey if you can get wifi. Creates an interest for cheese..Have wine with it
on 22 January 2014
I bought this book because it was 99p on kindles deals of the day, and I love reading books about people that move abroad and follow there dreams. Matt comes across as a genuinely nice guy, someone who is passionate about cheese!
I wish him and Jen continued success and happiness in there cheesy life together!
on 21 April 2014
This was a really good read although as I am a cheesemaker I found I needed to read it alongside other book as I do need to relax and get off the subject occasionally.

He writes really well and had me laughing out loud at several bits . He was remarkably restrained when coping with the odd antagonistic and very rude comments made by some of his customers. I'd have thrown a hunk of parmesan at them!

His enthusiasm for cheese and his absolute focus in achieving such success were both so laudable that I was speechless in my admiration. I really look forward to hearing more from him. PS really good for him introducing the French to the wonderful Montgomery, Tunworth and Stichelton... some of the world's top cheeses.
on 8 April 2014
Matt Feroze did what any sensible accountant would do - changed his job to do something interesting and then told us all about it. I could almost smell those wonderful wafts of aromatic creamery coming from the page. Delightfully written with a playfulness that keeps you going to the last mouthful. Thanks for throwing away your safety net and telling us how it is hefting all those kilos of the stinky stuff around, cutting and wrapping - lovely.
PS I had a wonderful cheese in Brittany which was small round and very soft and delicious. It was wrapped in sweet chestnut leaves and I'd like to track it down - perhaps you know of it?....