on 17 April 2014
This was bought for a Raspberry Pi. Driver-wise it worked out of the box.

There are huge delays when using this dongle. That's because of power saving that's enabled by default. To fix that you'll have to run: iwconfig wlan0 power off

This can be added in /etc/network/interfaces as: wireless-power off

After that it works like a charm.
on 21 September 2014
Got this with my PI. It works well at close distances, however if you want to make sure you don't run into problems. Here's two things to do to solve wifi drop outs and timeouts:

First:
go to /etc/network/interfaces
add to the bottom

wireless-power off

This disables wifi power management, I found without this the wifi is much slower due to power saving.

And also do this:

Go to /etc/ifplugd/action.d/ and rename the ifupdown file to ifupdown.original
Then do: cp /etc/wpa_supplicant/ifupdown.sh ./ifupdown
Finally: sudo reboot

Now it works perfectly without any dropouts or timeouts!
on 5 July 2015
I ordered 7 of these. I was building Raspberry Pi devices that needed them, a few each week. 3 out of 7 were bad, which is a terrible failure rate. One got so hot it burnt my fingers when I went to remove it and it fell apart. One of the others also got very hot. A third got warm and kept dropping off the WiFi network. I went to return them only to find the 30 day window was up. Lesson learnt, if you're buying a batch soak test them as soon as you get them!
review image
on 27 September 2015
I ordered this for the Raspberry Pie 2 model B so that i could connect to my WiFi network. The device was NOT plug and play, when i inserted the adapter in to the Raspberry (in Rasbian OS V 3.18), it could not even detect it. after a few hours of messing around i finally got it to work like so:

1. On File Manager, go to /lib/firmware/rtlwifi. If there is NOT a file called "rtl8188eufw.bin" carry out the following fix:
2. Download "rtl8188eufw.bin" from "https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu" (on a laptop if you cannot use Ethernet, put file on a USB and drop it on to the Rasbian desktop)
3. Input the following in the terminal "sudo cp Desktop/rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi" this will move the .bin file.
4. Carry out a reboot. from this point the LED inside the adaptor began to flash indicating it was being detected.
5. From here i followed this guide "https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md" which allowed me to connect to the wifi without further problems.

Ensure that your OS is up to date before carrying these steps out. I still gave the adapter 4 stars because with my windows 10 laptop it worked "plug and play" (and even in the pie while using RetroPie OS). the only fault is that the .bin file is missing from the Rasbian OS which inst specifically the manufacturers fault. I hope this has helped.
on 27 February 2015
Works as expected in my Raspberry Pi 2 on the 2.4GHz band, works without drivers on raspbian, but it isn't dual band so it doesn't detect my 5GHz network. Range is good, the only issues I had were when the pi was undervolted (rainbow square in top right of display)- connection kept dropping out but that's hardly the fault of the component. New power supply sorted that out and have had no issues since. Ultra low profile, sticks out a little but that's so if you have a case it won't interfere with the fit. Overall very happy with it for a fiver.
on 20 July 2014
This is a tiny tiny piece of junk. It has a range of about 4 metres with clear line of sight, and it got wedged in the USB port. Pulling it caused the plastic cap came off revealing the electronics inside. Not recommended - at these distances it's much better to use a cable instead if you have the option.
on 24 August 2015
This did not work 'out of the box';- in fact attaching it to the Pi before some kind of wireless configuration had taken place seemed to prevent the Pi from completing its normal boot sequence. The Raspbian operating system also seemed to have some trouble identifying which kind of device this was.
In the end, I followed the installation instructions on the Suntimebox website, and did the first configuration with a different wifi dongle (an older model I found lying around). After setting up wifi with this older dongle, I changed it for the New IT model, re-booted, and crossed my fingers.
It worked. It worked rather well. The New IT dongle is tiny (so it doesn't foul adjacent Pi USB slots), draws very little power (so doesn't need a powered USB hub), and has proven robust in practice (I've had it continuously running for days on end).
In many ways, this is a nice piece of kit. But it was a little challenging to install, so I'll give it only four stars.
on 3 February 2016
I purchased this as a wireless adapter for my Raspberry Pi (I'm going to use it as a media centre in my house).

This is a plug and play device, no need for additional drivers. Obviously you will need to setup the Adapter to be registered with your home WIFI network.

Overall

For the price this is a very capable wireless adapter. No messing around, simple and straight forward. I would recommend this to any home/ office PC user. I have had one or two issues of gaining access to my home network. After a few trouble shooting session in the Windows network manager it was soon sorted. I have had this over a year, network issues are less then I can remember.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 February 2015
Bought for use with a Raspberry Pi 2, and worked fine out of the box (on Xbian) although I had to configure it up via XBMC options menu.

Used with a Raspberry Pi 1 (model B) and also a Windows machine and worked fine on all.

Cheap, cheerful and works well.

Highly recommended, especially for the price.
on 29 December 2014
Works plug and play (apart from setting up the wireless network settings in the OS) in Raspbian. Obviously since the device is so small and has not external antenna you have to set your expectations, but for the price this is ideal.